Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 1200 Wing that I just put a new stator in. Bike is very clean and I bought it two years from a friend that bought it new. My wife and I have enjoyed it very much these past two years, taking several trips with one that was 2000 miles. The seat on the 1200 has some limitations for the passenger, but she does little complaining. But.....I have stumbled upon a 88 1500 with 11000 miles on it that can be purchased for around $4000. The passenger seat looks much more comfy on the 1500, and I know some other improvements have been made in just the 4 years. Is there anybody else that may have went from an 84 model to an 88? Finacially, it is not realistic at this time to get a much later model, so this 88 will be what is is or not at all. I have read the reviews and I looks like the 88's were a very good bike, and with that few of miles it could take me a long way. Any replies would be welcomed, and thanks again up front. dw

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
I will jump on this one and do my best. You do have a great bike in the 1200 wing. But there are a couple of draw backs on the 1200. The first is that it was only made for 4 years and part will be harded to find than the 1500 wing.
The stator which you have had some experience with will let go every now and then. (more often than the 1500)
Your leg room on the 1200 is less.
The only other thing I have notice was the saddle bag on the 1200 is a pain in that they are not hinged.
Last thing is that the 1500 has a bigger gas tank and when I ride accross the top of Australia that extra gas will come in handy.

I still love the 1200 and am very happy with it and the best way I can put it is: If I had a 1200 wing and a 1500 wing and one had to go. The 1200 is gone. At the moment I need the 1500 that is in the USA and I need the 1200 that is in Australia. If I can get the 1500 into Australia, the 1200 will go.

In the defence of the 1200, it is a great bike but it is not as good as the 1500. The 1200 goes as fast as I want to go and I would be happy to take it right around Australia and may well do that in 4 years time.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Ask yourself if you would just settle for a good wife or a better wife ! Well ! In my opinion I would only go with the better wife. Just to put it in perspective, in my case it's a toss-up if one of them had to go!

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
DW, I went from an 85 1200 to a 95 1500 last year and have never looked back. The only thing I miss on my 85 LTD was the fuel injection and that little mirror in the trunk for my wife to fix her helmet hair. If you've never ridden the 1500 the refinements in technology such as bigger and smoother engine hit you immediately. The 1500 is still considered by many to be the premier touring bike for riding 2 up by many. 4k for a good low mileage 1500 is very reasonable as well. Like any bike purchase check it real good first.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I've been on my 1500 for about 6-7 years now and really pondered if I should bump up to a 1800. A couple of years ago I said to myself no way. For the little bit of less kick of power of the 1800 my wife gets larger storage when we travel with the 1500. I have 200,000 klicks (125,000 miles) the bike still looks and rides great. For torqe it has lot's of power. I go up many of mountains fully loaded with my wife on the back without any issues.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I went from s 1984 GL1200 to a 1988 GL1500. The 1500 is a more refined machine and has more torque which means far less downshifting.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I will jump on this one and do my best. You do have a great bike in the 1200 wing. But there are a couple of draw backs on the 1200. The first is that it was only made for 4 years and part will be harded to find than the 1500 wing.
The stator which you have had some experience with will let go every now and then. (more often than the 1500)
Your leg room on the 1200 is less.
The only other thing I have notice was the saddle bag on the 1200 is a pain in that they are not hinged.
Last thing is that the 1500 has a bigger gas tank and when I ride accross the top of Australia that extra gas will come in handy.

I still love the 1200 and am very happy with it and the best way I can put it is: If I had a 1200 wing and a 1500 wing and one had to go. The 1200 is gone. At the moment I need the 1500 that is in the USA and I need the 1200 that is in Australia. If I can get the 1500 into Australia, the 1200 will go.

In the defence of the 1200, it is a great bike but it is not as good as the 1500. The 1200 goes as fast as I want to go and I would be happy to take it right around Australia and may well do that in 4 years time.
I also love my 1500 coming off of an 85 Aspy,but I was partial to the bags with the lids on top.I found it easier to jamb them full,jump on it to pack it down and jamb some more in.A little harder to hold everything in place on the 1500 and hinge the lid shut without something hanging out.U do have a cure though.I just don't take as much on trips anymore.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am on my third Wing, an 84, 88, & 93.
When I went from the 84 to 88, I had no problems, I liked the 1500 much beter, and never missed the 84 I just use bags to pack my stuff in and have no problems with the bags. I put in a mirror and leds in the top box and she loves it. She likes the room of the passenger space, and compartments, I still plan to add a drivers back rest, and she will gain another small compartment for her stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts