Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 1976 GL1000 with a Velorex 700 side car and would appreciate the advice of you GW gurus.

Seller's Description
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 with a Velorex 700 Sidecar. The bike has rebuilt and synced carbs; replacement seat; new fork seals; new throttle, clutch and choke cables; timing belts have been replaced; sidecar triple tree (for reduced steering effort). The sidecar has lockable compartment behind seat; 2 side pockets; 12 volt plug-in; roll bar; seat belt. Any reasonable offer considered. Not interested in trading.

I asked if there were any issues and the seller said it has an oil leak. I asked if the side car brake was functional and seller said it is not "hooked up". Seller said they are wanting to get something with a reverse. they are asking $3200. The bike has 31K miles and the Velorex is an 88 model with no accessories.

I have three other road bikes including a PC800 but have never ridden a side hack before. Thoughts and advice?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
That Wing looks to be in good shape and it is also the rare sulfur yellow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.
That Wing looks to be in good shape and it is also the rare sulfur yellow.
I wonder if sulfur yellow is rare because of the name. My Mini Cooper S is a similar bright yellow but Mini calls it "Liquid Yellow".

BTW, does anyone know how the Velorex 700 side car brake works? Mechanical or hydraulic? And is a "small" oil leak possibly a serious defect on a 76 Wing?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the oil leak coming from?
You may want to contact Velorex: Velorex USA
They do have an installation manual on line, it does mention a cable: https://www.velorexusa.com/instruction_pdf/install_instructions.pdf
Thanks, trike lady,

I'll ask if they have the cable and from where the "small" oil leak eminates.

I've been doing some research on sidecars in general and Velorex in particular. Some say the Velorex is too light for a 650 pound GW, and that driving a side hack is a learning experience. Also that an 88 Velorex may need a larger diameter axle upgrade from 15mm to 20mm to be safe, and that while it came with a brake drum and backing plate the shoes might have been an option.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Welcome to the forum and glad to see you are getting great advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Received answers from the seller as follows:
Husband installed sidecar. No brake cable. Brake shoes are there. Husband said looks like it needs new crush washer on oil drain plug. He plans on doing that next time he changes oil. Axle is 15mm.

So oil leak may not be an issue, but the 15mm Velorex axel may be. I saw a thread on sidecar.com about an upgrade kit a fellow was selling for $300, but that was in 2015 and the fellow has since died. I see another conversion kit from the UK at SIDECAR INDEX for 275 pounds, but shipping may be expensive. Anyone know of a US made conversion kit to a heavier axle?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am considering buying a 1976 GL1000 with a Velorex 700 side car and would appreciate the advice of you GW gurus.

Seller's Description
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 with a Velorex 700 Sidecar. The bike has rebuilt and synced carbs; replacement seat; new fork seals; new throttle, clutch and choke cables; timing belts have been replaced; sidecar triple tree (for reduced steering effort). The sidecar has lockable compartment behind seat; 2 side pockets; 12 volt plug-in; roll bar; seat belt. Any reasonable offer considered. Not interested in trading.

I asked if there were any issues and the seller said it has an oil leak. I asked if the side car brake was functional and seller said it is not "hooked up". Seller said they are wanting to get something with a reverse. they are asking $3200. The bike has 31K miles and the Velorex is an 88 model with no accessories.

I have three other road bikes including a PC800 but have never ridden a side hack before. Thoughts and advice?

View attachment 278255
View attachment 278256 View attachment 278257 View attachment 278258 View attachment 278259
Interesting side hack! Sidecars take a bit of practice, and definitely some cautionary head checks, but they are pretty cool. I like mine, anyway! Like learning any bike, practice where there isn't a ton of traffic, to start. Definitely try to have a person in it, for not just weight, but to tell you when you are getting too close (or over) to the side of the road. My first few practice runs, my daughter spent a fair bit of time yelling "ditch!" as I was getting too close to one. Definitely get the brake hooked up, it will come in handy. One thing that you will need to know is that no matter what kind of sidecar you have, when you are accelerating, it will want to go hard to the right. You will eventually just naturally push on the right grip as you accelerate. I have gotten a tad spoiled by mine, as I am not sure I want to go back to picking the bike up off the side stand, or hold it up when not moving. I had a pc800 too! Mine was a pearl white, 1989.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice from everyone. I got side tracked when my wife had some health emergencies and was off line for a time and while attending to her the folks sold the GoldWing hack. Probably saved some big eye rolls and marital stress, but still missing maybe an interesting opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
Sorry it sold. Hope your wife is doing well.

·
Administrator
15,305 Posts
Sorry you missed out and also hope your wife is better. RayJ just bought an older bike with a sidecar. I've seen a few and it interests me, but that will be for down the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts