Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st things 1st. I will explain the setup to the story, then the story add some pictures.

Please be patient as it will take several posts.

And Begin.

So several days ago I posted about a breakfast meeting. That topic died pretty quick & left the Ole Fossil a bit forlorn.

Last night while watching a little TV I ask the lovely Janice what her plans were for today to which she replied "A little grocery/clothing shopping & some seasonal decoration of the home". Now being the good husband that I am I went down to the basement brought up her boxes of decorations & informed the Little lady that I was going to embark on an Adventure. Her only request was to be careful & to tell her where I was going.

The next post will begin the trek.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
4 am

Up at 4, shower, dress & as my friend the Maestro PW/RW would say KSU 5 am.:D

On the road at 5 covering ground. 1st stop breakfast. Air was crisp, visor fogging, trucks rolling & the Nighthawk humming along. Temp was about 46* so it twas a bit chilly on the slab but all was well. Arrived in Gettysburg at 6:45 am. Yeah! that's right you $*@!%^ I went to breakfast without you. So I'm sitting in Perkins & the waitress asks why you guys aren't with me. Now don't worry boys I covered for you. I think it went something like this.

Doc was getting his hair done.
2 Wheel was cleaning the cat litter box
Budoka was Snowed in
Ron missed his flight
Gordo was hungover
Rick was picking up his wife's dry cleaning
and
Chopin114 was getting a pedicure

I told you I took care of it.

Left Gettysburg, fueled hit the road next stop, Harpers Ferry WV.
Walked around a bit took some pictures & headed out again stopping in Brunswick MD.

1st pic is a PA sunrise about 90 miles into the trip
2nd is the Maestro's favorite meeting spot
3rd is storyline to what many call the start of the Civil War
4th John Brown Museum
5th is a pic specifically for our mate down under Eric.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After leaving Brunswick I headed out again starting to make my way back to PA. Crazy thing was this morning even though the Weather people said that it was supposed to be a sunny day as I was pushing the bike out of the garage I thought better grab my raingear just in case. Well about 15 miles from Fredrick MD the skies start to drip & soon "Here we go again". Grab route 15 N towards PA. & try to dodge rain drops (not to successful but oh well). Coming close to the border I see a sign for Cunningham Falls State Park & decide to check it out. Pretty scenery albeit wet, a short hike to some falls, picturesque but not very big. Spend some time before I figure time to hit the road. Grab some fuel, get into PA., pickup a Ducati & a Triumph to buzz some miles by next stop Ft. Indiantown Gap National Cemetary & resting place of Pop.

1st pic Cunningham Falls
2nd pic Entrance to the Cemetary
3rd pic Part of the PA Veterans Memorial
4th pic Yeah it's the restroom but seriously Granite/Marble & black fixtures. Had to take a picture.
5th pic Airborne father with is young son at the Memorial

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leaving Indiantown Gap I head out through the base. I don't know about anyone else but this Ole Fossil gets a bit overwhelmed when he sees our military at it's finest. We all owe them a debt of Thanks.
Decided to take the back roads the rest of the way & ended up on Goldmine Road which Crownfire & Two Wheel will attest is a fun stretch of asphalt. Had a safe trip home & arrived back a little after 4 to a smiling little lady.

Summing up the day it was a blast even if it was partially wet, put on 385 miles, was in 3 states & would like to thank all of you my forum friends for standing me up for Breakfast. Without you none of it would have been possible.:D:D:D

The End

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
is it safe/ ok to post a reply now

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to go Doc

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Summing up the day it was a blast even if it was partially wet, put on 385 miles, was in 3 states & would like to thank all of you my forum friends for standing me up for Breakfast. Without you none of it would have been possible.:D:D:D

The End
I would like to say it was my pleasure to "stand you up", but the truth is I would rather have been with you on the trip. But... if my absence was the catalyst for you going, then I've done my job.

Have been to most of those places and have always enjoyed seeing them again. Glad you had a safe and good time and thanks for the pics. I'm going to blow up the bathroom one and place it on my desk for inspiration (or to remind me to go on a regular basis)
:D...

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I"m going to blow up the bathroom one and place it on my desk for inspiration (or to remind me to go on a regular basis)...
If you would like the full megapixel original I can email it to you. HAHAHA

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Would have been great to be there. Born and raised in Pa. But have done only a little riding there, Left when I was 19.

A few years ago on our first trip on the bike to Pa. we tried to ride Hwy 6. The plan was ride it west to east. Got rained off or should I say washed off, at Mansfield. Great ride, what we got to do.
Who knows maybe some day.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
You son-of-a-gun. Perkins and Ft. Indiantown Gap were our first ride destinations together. Those places hold sentimental value to me. I'm sorry you had to go it alone. I wasn't there for you and now I truly feel like one of those " $*@!%^ " you referred to the others as. I'll make it up to you. Do you like red or white wine ?

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
Up at 4, shower, dress & as my friend the Maestro PW/RW would say KSU 5 am.:D

On the road at 5 covering ground. 1st stop breakfast. Air was crisp, visor fogging, trucks rolling & the Nighthawk humming along. Temp was about 46* so it twas a bit chilly on the slab but all was well. Arrived in Gettysburg at 6:45 am. Yeah! that's right you $*@!%^ I went to breakfast without you. So I'm sitting in Perkins & the waitress asks why you guys aren't with me. Now don't worry boys I covered for you. I think it went something like this.

Doc was getting his hair done.
2 Wheel was cleaning the cat litter box
Budoka was Snowed in
Ron missed his flight
Gordo was hungover
Rick was picking up his wife's dry cleaning
and
Chopin114 was getting a pedicure

I told you I took care of it.

Left Gettysburg, fueled hit the road next stop, Harpers Ferry WV.
Walked around a bit took some pictures & headed out again stopping in Brunswick MD.

1st pic is a PA sunrise about 90 miles into the trip
2nd is the Maestro's favorite meeting spot
3rd is storyline to what many call the start of the Civil War
4th John Brown Museum
5th is a pic specifically for our mate down under Eric.
the pic of the trains reminded me of when i drove a big truck for overnite transportation company. we would yank rail cans from romulus, mi to dalton, il. sometimes we would go over to south holland for a can to yank back to michigan other times we would have to go to hammond, in. overnite had a drop yard there. its also where the otr drivers yanking tripples would have to stop and break down there rigs to doubled or singles. i like the sunrise pic too

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Good ride report. Even managed to bring your mate into it from Down Under. We have those locos here Down Under and they are like a HD. They are noisy, and cold, things fall of them [just kidding on the last one] but some drivers love them. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
when i was a bout 5yrs old my dad told me he wanted me to be an engineer when i grew up. he drove a truck at the time and i thought he wanted me to drive something bigger than he did. it took me about three more years that he wanted me to get into automobile design :)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Today was a bit unusal for me. Not a bad day. Got to ride a jetski and then ended the day listening to a good band at a good bar.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You son-of-a-gun. Perkins and Ft. Indiantown Gap were our first ride destinations together. Those places hold sentimental value to me. I'm sorry you had to go it alone. I wasn't there for you and now I truly feel like one of those " $*@!%^ " you referred to the others as. I'll make it up to you. Do you like red or white wine ?
Yeah I had a bit of a tear in my eye thinking that you weren't with me like on our maiden voyage. Ohhhh... wait a minute that was rain from my visor.

Riesling please.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny thing Eric, I was stopped for about 1/2 hr at the junction while that guy shuffled rail cars from one track to another. I had gone over to see if I could find a section of the old C&O water canal & on the way back the gates were down. One way in One way out so I sat & enjoyed the show. The lady in front of me in the car wasn't as understanding as myself.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Sounds like you had a great ride even if it was by yourself. My back wouldn't be this sore if I would have went on the ride. Oh well got a lot done at camp, I mean picking up that heavy dry cleaning. Hope I can do the next ride.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
nice pix and looks like a good day.
Important to do just what you did. sometimes you have to make your own party when one doesn't isn't around.

Especially since the summer of 2011 is nearly gone forever.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well thanks for the mention fossil! But just to clarify, I wasn't snowed in, it was however -4*c:eek: Trust me, for some good hot tea, and a whopping serving of bisquits and gravy along with a couple eggs would do a fine job of knocking the chill off. Glad you had a good ride.
p.s. Yabut is in process of redesigning/renovating both bathrooms...if you ever show her that photo of the granite and marble men's room, we got probs!!!!:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts