Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

A few guys I ride with an I are interested in finding a good advanced training course. We all have been through the MSF beginners riding course when we each started ridding. We each have several seasons (many in some cases) and thousands of miles on the bike.

I know there are racing courses where you can learn to corner with your knee down. While I like to ride fast, I don't really need the "knee down experience"

I think of myself as a moderate rider. I am just interested in practical skills training to improve my ride.

I found Midwest Police Motorcycle Training Inc (www.msumotorcycletraining.com). [No affiliation]. Their civilian course looks interesting.

Ideally, I would like to find a good multi-day course somewhere in a warm climate. If we find this, I think we will book a trip to do this over the winter to improve our skills and get a riding fix in what would otherwise be the off-season.

I'd like to hear from members who have taken these courses or at least know of them.

Thanks,
Nosaj

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
This sounds like something i'd like to do as well.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I know this is a little far for you guys but the Alabama GWRRA is hosting a free training day to members in Lincoln, Al. If anyone is interested:)

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I no a lot Harley Davidson does a advance course , thats were i did mine , and there was even wings in the class when i took the class

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The MSF E.R.C. is well worth it (it's what H.O.G./HD advanced is based on if I recall). In all these years I've never attended a GWRRA run course of any kind, but lots of us from the Chapter did the AMA thing one afternoon many years ago. Another of those "you can't put bikes like that through our training grounds, they're too big and awkward. You'll all crash!" Funny, nobody had an incident whatsoever.
I know a couple instructors on some other sites, I'll ask after what's available where. If nothing else I might pick up some useful links to pass on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EFINREF, GORDO, and budoka,

Thanks guys. I appreciate your suggestions and help!

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Washington State subsidizes the basic motorcycle safety course for new riders. This creates the foundation for motorcycle training in Washington State for motorcycle training. The advance course is not subsidized but is available.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) for motorcycle training. Also, when you attend chapter meetings you will find friendly folks that ride the same motorcycle you do, and like the members of this forum, they know their motorcycle.

Sunday, I will be visiting a chapter monthly meeting and I will ask about the advanced course in this area.

You can find a local chapter by going their website: http://www.gwrra.org

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hey Everyone,

A few guys I ride with an I are interested in finding a good advanced training course. We all have been through the MSF beginners riding course when we each started ridding. We each have several seasons (many in some cases) and thousands of miles on the bike.

I know there are racing courses where you can learn to corner with your knee down. While I like to ride fast, I don't really need the "knee down experience"

I think of myself as a moderate rider. I am just interested in practical skills training to improve my ride.

I found Midwest Police Motorcycle Training Inc (www.msumotorcycletraining.com). [No affiliation]. Their civilian course looks interesting.

Ideally, I would like to find a good multi-day course somewhere in a warm climate. If we find this, I think we will book a trip to do this over the winter to improve our skills and get a riding fix in what would otherwise be the off-season.

I'd like to hear from members who have taken these courses or at least know of them.

Thanks,
Nosaj
Just come down to South Florida during snowbird season for about two weeks and you will have all the advance training you can handle.:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Knelson,

It's funny you say this. I like long distance rides, and a couple buddies have suggested bike week. I like Florida, but I do think the driving down there is crazy. It seems like have the drivers should have their licenses revoked.

I don't think I'll be down there on a bike anytime soon.

Good luck!

Just come down to South Florida during snowbird season for about two weeks and you will have all the advance training you can handle.:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I got this from a member on another forum: MSF-USA.org. DMV offices should also have information you can apply to your particular location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts