Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have seen how the thoughts of many may go in different direction, but we all can learn something from each other. So I am hoping that someone here has participate in an advanced rider course as an experienced rider. Did you learn enough to consider it worth the expence. Do you find that you are using the techniques on your rides, consciously or subconsciously. In one way I know the answer in that we are always learning, but as the saying goes [it hard to teach old dogs new tricks]. I have gave my son a course for his birthday present to try to bring his skills up. If I though that I was going to get better skills that you find yourself using in the real world, on the road, then I had better book myself in next year. So far my forum mates have got me into the computor world and in 6 months have learnt to get into the site and post, new threads, photos. Being an impatient and frustrated type person that I am with trying to do something that my skill set are weak. I have done well.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Eric, it's been a while since I've taken and ERC course, but I have taken the course 3 times over my years of riding. As I recall, the course I took was 4 hours classroom and 4hours on the bike, regardless of the weather, skills are done done at higher speeds than at MRC. With the GWRRA group I was riding with, we took the course every two years. As with any course, the skills taught are learned, if they are not practiced they do not become second nature or "subconcious" as you refer to. Some might find the class a waste of time and some invaluable, only you can make that decision, but if you came away with one new skill it could be deemed worthwhile. There is also a video course called Ride Like a Pro, done by a police motorcycle instructor, you can check out clips of it on you tube or the web site ridelikeapro.com

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Eric, about ten years ago I decided to take a experienced riders course, but at the same time went there thinking I knew everything I needed to know about riding a bike. I spend all day with them pointing out all my bad habits. After the course I decided to go on and become an instructor teaching the BRC and ERC. You are never to old to learn new tricks, plus we don't like to admit but we also slow down as we get older :)

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your answers. With the strenght of your reply I will book myself in for next year.The course is 3 hours classroom 8 hours practical. The slowing down comes with knowing that we don't bounce as well as we use to. I wouldn't have considered this until I seen how my son was riding, and then I thought that it would be a good example to him if I was to also do a course. I did do an advance car driving course some year ago, but I don't find myself using those skills on the road. It was a lot of fun and it gave you a better idea how to drive faster and safer. Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts