Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded to a Gold Wing (GL1800) from an ST1100. I took basic rider safety course a few years ago and am now thinking about taking the advanced rider course as offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I like the idea of taking the course on my own bike to get better acquainted with emergency tactics - and bike performance.

Was just wondering if anyone has taken the course on a Gold Wing and your impressions from it? Anything I should do to prepare beforehand or to get the most out of the course? The one I've signed up for here in the Houston area is a one day course. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having taken the course a few times myself, just do as instructed. But, I would ride the heck out of the wing to get some practice and become very familiar with it prior to the course. The Wing is a big machine, but very responsive to your input. The course is not hard, but pay attention and you will be fine. They don't ask you to do anything that you should not feel comfortable doing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took the course several years ago on my 82 gl1100. I was concerned as we all sat waiting for our instructor because everyone else were on much smaller bikes. Our instructor then rode in on a 1500 and proceeded to demonstrate every manuver that we were going to ride. Pay attention, you will do fine. Afterward you will be impressed with yourself. I was.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi prtommueller, when I bought my 2000 GL1500 I decided to take an advanced riding course. I questioned what they expected me to get out of the course. The answer was I'd be scraping floorboards by the end of the day. All I can say is at the end of the day one of the young guys said to me is all he heard all afternoon is my boards scraping on the pavement. I feel it was well worth it, and I put the bike through the works, emergancy braking, acceleration, etc. Lot's of fun. I've been concidering doing the fast track, a little different by getting some instruction and you use their sport bikes and their leathers.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Hi Prtommueller, I teach the course, so I know a little bit about this. Just pay attention and you will have no problems. The only other advice I would give is to ride your bike and get used to it. Go have fun and enjoy yourself :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Anything I should do to prepare beforehand or to get the most out of the course? The one I've signed up for here in the Houston area is a one day course. Thanks.
Nothing more than you did with the ST1100. Just know your bike, practice makes perfect. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took the "advanced" course last fall after only three weeks of expirience on my new Wing. I was a nervous wreck at start time being the only bike there over 650cc but soon realized that it was not a competition but a true learning expirience between owner and machine. The instructors are dedicated to making everyone there be the best and safest riders possible and never ask anyone to do something that would jeopardize the safety of any rider, although navigating my recreation vehicle through an obstacle course was pushing the envelope. I know I could have preformed some of the manuvers better had I been able to spend more time practicing with my bike before going, but I know I drove away a much smarter and safer rider. Our instructer told us at the begining, if we left with just one "ah-ha" moment, his mission was a success. I left with many! Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the input on this. I'm excited for the opportunity to put the bike through its paces under expert supervision. I've been testing emergency braking and swerve maneuvers a bit, but look forward to really getting some good advice. Have had one or two close calls - I ride to work every day on the Houston freeways - but have managed to keep the upside up. During the current cold (for Houston) spell (25-30 degrees in the morning) I've switched back to a Shoei full-face helmet. It's much warmer than the flip down face plate model I got with the Goldwing, but much harder on peripheral vision. In traffic, that matters a lot. The learning just never stops!

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts