Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the first 1800 hit the road there have been discussions related to ADV and the problems with it's chronic failure. In general 100% of these ADV valves will hang at some point causing a very harsh ride. Why people don't disable this I don't know but I am pretty sure many of the conversions to Progressive or Traxxion are due to the ADV issue. Installing any of these aftermarket units removes the ADV and that in itself will translate into a much noticed improvement. I would say at least one third of the wings I get in have locked ADV units and I just unloaded one today that has a ADV solid front end also.
The ADV on the 1800 is a lot like an appendix or Florida, We can get along much better without it (just kidding Floridians)

At any rate before spending gobs of moola on fork tube replacements just try disabling the ADV and for a added bonus install a bias ply tire (not backwards) so you can drop the pressure down to a reasonable 34psi. i think you will find the ride improvement to be more than adequate.

Registered
Ever since the first 1800 hit the road there have been discussions related to ADV and the problems with it's chronic failure. In general 100% of these ADV valves will hang at some point causing a very harsh ride. Why people don't disable this I don't know but I am pretty sure many of the conversions to Progressive or Traxxion are due to the ADV issue. Installing any of these aftermarket units removes the ADV and that in itself will translate into a much noticed improvement. I would say at least one third of the wings I get in have locked ADV units and I just unloaded one today that has a ADV solid front end also.
The ADV on the 1800 is a lot like an appendix or Florida, We can get along much better without it (just kidding Floridians)

At any rate before spending gobs of moola on fork tube replacements just try disabling the ADV and for a added bonus install a bias ply tire (not backwards) so you can drop the pressure down to a reasonable 34psi. i think you will find the ride improvement to be more than adequate.
Im new to 1800 , the only sentence i that i under stood is to drop my psi on my tires to 34 ....which ill try ....im sorry , maybe im not that smart or educated on all terms your using , but can you explain it better , of what i need to be award ....i believe Adv is the valve on the tires .....i have the 90 degree valve ....am i ok ....lol sorry for being stupid 馃槄

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
The ADV is the anti-dive valve located on the left fork leg. It is designed to lock the suspension during braking but eventually it fails to release which constitutes a stiff ride. Don't drop the air pressure with radial tires as they will overhead and self destruct. The bias ply tires are designed to handle lower pressure so 32-34 is normal for them where 38 is normal for radials

Premium Member
The ADV is the anti-dive valve located on the left fork leg. It is designed to lock the suspension during braking but eventually it fails to release which constitutes a stiff ride. Don't drop the air pressure with radial tires as they will overhead and self destruct. The bias ply tires are designed to handle lower pressure so 32-34 is normal for them where 38 is normal for radials
Great info and advice, thanks!

Registered
You can disable the anit-dive valve by removing the top two bolts, take off the top and insert a washer the thickness of a nickel and center hole big enough for the plunger. This is a 10 minute fix that includes finding the correct washer of drill a nickel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts