Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner had put on an accessory with adhesive tape directly on the truck fairing. I want to remove this but in doing so, I am afraid it will damage the paint or even the fairing itself. Any suggestions what will remove this without damaging the paint or fairing? I havent tried heat yet but I think it will take more than a hair dryer to soften this up.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I haven't tried this yet,but, I'm told it works fairly well; Get some dental floss or heavy fishing line, see~saw back and forth behind whatever it is you want to remove, it should cut the adhesive and not hurt the finish. As for the residue that's left, I think lacquer thinner would clean that up...be very careful and don't leave it on the painted surface very long..it will dull the clear finish!:eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
You can use a hair dryer and like mentioned above the dental floss or fishing line. I normally use an industrial heat gun with medium heat and gently pull the part off and then I remove the adhesive left behind with WD-40, it doesn't harm the clear coat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I work part time at a sign shop that removes signs and vinyl all the time. Zippo Lighter fluid will remove the tape. It will not harm paint. Just soak the adhesive tape and work it loose. Apply again and work the sticky stuff off. A final soaking and use a rag with lighter fluid to remove any residue that is left. It works. NO SMOKING!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I use a hair dryer, heat the item and slowly pull it off, don't get the plastic to hot or it will melt. Use WD 40 to remove left on gunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts