Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My train was cancelled because of flood damage in the west. So what better thing can you do but go for a ride. It was a 90f day with mainly blue skies. The total distance was 155 miles and heading south out of the city which follows the coast. It takes 45 minutes to get out of the city and then you start going through rolling hills with vineyards. The sea is on your right and the vineyards are on your left. I went the scenic route along the hill tops and through the Myponga Reservoir and then down to Normanville. This is the photo's of that erea.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Okay! I have several observations here.

#1) All roads lead from Adelaide.

#2) It really isn't that Hard To Stop A Trane. - Shameless Air Conditioning plug.

#3) Eric you sure do live in a pretty country.

#4) Don't look now guys but Eric stopped talking in Metric.

As always Mate thanks for sharing. Good Job & ride safe.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fossil 92: One day I will shock you and start from another city. But I will not be making a habit of it. From Normanville to Lady Bay the road follows the sea to Lady Bay where it goes back into the rolling hills. The road is mainly 50-60mph corners and the first 3 photo's are taken at Lady Bay. There is nothing at Lady Bay except a car park to look at the coast and memorial marker for the Australian war ship 'Hobart'. The next 2 photo's are at the bay of Second Valley. Second Valley is a small Holiday location that is very popular in the summer months. I know it better for the geological formations that are there. I spent too long there talking with people that I met there and my solar panel on top of my head was working overtime. Now I have a glow in the dark head. Here are the photo's from there. Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Beautiful. That's the Australia I see in my minds eye. And thank you for the metric conversions. Sad to say that we over here are so stubbornly " Standard " that we even call our measure system the " Standard " one.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the way home I took a little knowen road from Myponga to Willunga Hill. The road is B34 and it follows the Myponga River. It is a lovely valley that end up on the main hyw to Victor Harbour A13. The last 2 photo's look down on the Willunga to Selicks wine growing erea. I can tell you that I was riding at a gentle pace of about 60mph and I got 40mpg with just myself aboard. So I think I can safely say that is about as good as I am going to get in US gallons. Our gas at the moment is $5.60 a gallon. Eric

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Great pics Eric. Looks like you had a great day. Just looking at the sunshine and blue skies make me anxious for Spring. Ride safe.....especially at $5.60 per gallon....

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Another set of great pictures, thanks for sharing. Fuel right now around here is $3.20 a gallon. It was the same in Virginia where I was last week (wishing I was on a bike until the snow started falling) but in many places it can run higher. The taxes each state puts on it really makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Nice pics Eric, thanks for sharing, keep 'em coming.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
great photo ride report eric, thanks for sharing. you are going to have to work on getting a few more mpg out of your wing with gas at $5.60 . have you had the carbs synced, seafoam or mmo added to your gas to clean thise carbs some

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just in case there are someone that is interested in geological formation or would like to see what is around the corner, Vanessa is going to explain these next few photos.
Hi everyone,
This place is also at Second Valley where Eric went earlier today. This is a site every geology student will visit during their studies and those interested in geology are keen to visit. At this site it is possible to see a clear fault line which dips towards the east. The cliffs are quite tall and the results of metamorphic activity is also visible in the cliffs. The darker(green/black) rock is phylite, the cream and brownish coloured rocks are both forms of marble. The folds in one area are recumbent folds. In one cliff face a fold has been uplifted to almost vertical.
This is one of my favourite places to visit and I like to imagine what it may have been like to be standing there to observe all this happening.... but of course it all happened several hundred million years ago and I am equally sure it would have been terrifying to actualy have been there :). For me it is just awesome to be able to visit places like this... one reason to look forward to the US trip next year. The academic year for University starts this week so I am back to my studies to learn more about all these things. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Geology is very interesting. You will see a lot of interesting things in our western states. I noticed a lot of this folding and uplifting in the Appalacians where I was last week.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought that wasn't to bad with the gas. The Sabre gave a best 50 mpg in those conditions. It is half the weight and half the capacity of the wing. I don't know how much difference the new exhaust system will make. The new system is coming from the USA and hope to have that on in a couple of months. I have changed the fork seals and one is still leaking. Have you found that they will settle and seal after awhile or will I have to do it again. This is the first fork seals I have had to replace. The forks did have a little bit of rust on the top of the forks and to have them rechromed here is about $400. I don't want to go there unless I have to. The next job is the timing belt because I don't know when they were replaced. They cost $230 here in Australia. It's a work in progress at the moment. There are quite a few thing to do to get it up to scratch. I am working on about $1500 to fix everthing up. Eric

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Eric, is that a camera bag laying there? I hope you didn't leave yours behind!:eek:

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to good habits the camera bag made it home. Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts