Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Departure day will now be Wednesday because of work. With a 7am start we will leave Adelaide traveling east on hy/wy 58 through Chain of ponds, Birdwood, Mannum, over the River Murray. This is mainly 25 miles per hour roads.From here traveling east through Karoonda to Pinnaroo. On B12 travel east over the border to Walpeup. Now travel south on C247 to Salt Lake. Now this section will be outback Australia. Now travel on A79 to Bendigo. This is a old gold town. A very nice town. Travel north to C345 and stay overnight at Murchison.A distance of 500 miles.Next morning ride C366 on the twisties to Mansfield. Now up the mountains on C521 to the Great Alpine rd. Stay at Omeo. I will see if I can get to an internet and give you the run into Philip Island from there.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Boy that sounds like a great trip. There better be pics when you are all done. Ride safe and have a great trip..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Eric that sounds fantastic. I did the great alpine road trip from the Dandenongs in Melbourne back home to Sydney last year through Omeo. Be prepared and bring some warm clothing. When i done it last year it was in the middle of summer and on that day i got the whole 4 seasons. Just as i climbed into Omeo the weather changed and by the time i reached the ski slopes it was very very thick fog and the temperature dropped to 0 . I had to stop in Bright for 2 hot chocolates in the middle of summer to warm up. From there it poured rain until Goulbourn NSW and then the sun came out and i boiled by the time i got home.
Lots of luck on your trip, i'm planning to do the Ocean Road again in February.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. I'll be looking it up on Google Earth this morning. Look forward to some pictures!

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, I have made it back. With plenty of drama, I will start to fill you all in tomorow. We have burnt the candle both ends for the whole week as you do on big trips. And Wing Down Under, it was funny when I got home and read your post as you will find out .Eric

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After months of planing we are ready to go. But I didnt plan the weather very well. Its raining so no photos until Karoonda. Departed at 7:30. 15 miles to get out of town. At Tea Tree Gully the twisties start to Chain of Ponds, all 20/40mls/hrs. At Gumeracha we go past the big rocking horse. More twisties to Birdwood and the National Motor Museum. It now opens up, The tall trees start to thin out down to Mannum where we cross the River Murray. Kristian is starting to strugle with his leg so a quick stop. Over to Karoonda where it stops raining. I like this town, its off the beaten track and the first photos. From here to Murchison is outback Australia and with stops for Kristian every hour we arrived in the dark.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Help me out here, Eric. Following the Yahoo map you are heading to Melbourne, right ? I typed in " Philip Island " and it took me to Tasmania. There is a lot of blue between Melbourne and Tasmania. Are we on the same map ?

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chopin114, Philip Island is south of Melbourne. The route that we took was through the alpine region of Victoria. On our second day we got up early to have breakie at the Murchison bakery which is a real treat. It is a old town with a creek running through it. The ride from Murchison to Euroa was in thick fog. The fog was so thick that it was pointless to take photos. But this is one nice bike road, you follow Castle Creek with it running quite fast. The road is full of twisties, most good for about 30 mph to Merton. From Merton to Mansfield is open road on rolling hills. We met friends at Mansfield who told us that a storm was coming that afternoon and they were expecting snow at Mt Hotham. Now the road from Mansfield to Whitfield is very mountainous. The roads are wet and slippery and Wanlop went into a corner too hot and went off into a ditch. He was ok but this is one road that you do not want to make mistakes on. We dusted him of and got on our way to Powers Lookout. I will put the photos in for this section now starting from Murchison.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had an ad. in Australia where they forgot to put a company ad. in the yellow pages, and Jan was the person responsiable. NOT HAPPY JAN. This the third time trying to do this post.4 hours. The lad on the left is Kristian my youngest son. The lad on the right is Wanlop my eldest son. I am the one on the far right.The invisable man known as the phantom. Wanlop proved that he just dosnt know how to ride a bike.I had to ride like an old grandpa and still he strugled. On the first day he went straight through ared light and stopped in the middle of the intersection at Bendigo. On the second day he come into a corner to hot and went straight off the road and into a ditch. I seen it happen and spun around and went back to help him up. On this road it is a very bad idea to make mistakes. There is nothing to stop you going over the edge at many locations on this road . The next photos are on the Mansfield to Powers Lookout. Powers was a bushranger in this erea and he would watch the gold transport and relieve them of the responsibility of the gold.This is the photos of that section.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
If I didn't know better I would swear you were on the Blue Ridge Parkway here in Virginia. It's amazing that you are half a world away and your pictures look like home to me. Eric, I must be a lot older than I think because your junior riders don't look a day over 14 years of age! From what I can tell from the pictures, you look your age. Keep riding until you find the sunshine. P.S. Sorry about UNHAPPY JAN.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Powers Lookout was named after an Australian bushranger who would watch the gold transport from this location and then go down the valley below and releive them of their responsibility for the gold. From Powers Lookout you wind your way down to the valley below. That valley is called Kings Valley and is a wine growing erea. I think they mainly are white wines that are grown here. Now we turn onto the Great Alpine road that runs through to Bright. The rains back and the wind is picking up, so the forcast of snow is looking like its not far away. We got some photos here inbetween the rain and got on our way. Not far out of Bright the fog set in. At that stage I did not think much of it, we have had fog on and of over the last 2 days. BUT it got down to 2 yards visability with mountains and no safety guards and big drops. I do not know how big because we couldnt see the edge of the road. The temp dropped to 1 or 2c nd winds of about 30mph. It was the worst conditions I have ridden in. I was going up at 20mph. 9 bikes went belly up. I will put some photos up of this section.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We did make it to the top and we had a rest at Mt Hotham. The visability improved to where we could see about 10 yards so we made a run for it. we had not gone far when it had cleared enough to get some photos. The next lot of photos is Mt Hotham to Omeo. The talk at Omeo was that they were expecting snow there overnight. Well it didnt snow but you should have seen the rain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I'm looking at Omeo and Bright on the Google Map. Your getting up there in elevation. You men are doing all the work and I'm getting a good lesson in Australian topography.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The next section, it rained so heavy that I could not take photos so you will just have to trust me on what it it was like. Omeo rest in the foothills and as you leave the road has long sweeping corners that would be a lot of fun at about 60mph in dry weather as it goes gently down hill, but not on this ride. From Swift Creek down to Bairsdale is a lot tighter as it gose down. You follow a creek down a valley with all the natural vegetation and was very good road with plenty to see, if the rain was not so heavy. It was all open road from Bairsdale to Morwell. 70mph stuff. we went down B460 to Phillip Island. It was a pity the weather was so bad because the scenery is great and the veiw are brilliant. I will be back, I just dont know when.This is the phots of this section.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the way home we went down the A420, then down the C781, which goes down the Mornington Peninsula. This fairly open road with gentle rolling hills and tall trees. There is just so much to see here but we dont have the time to do it justice. These photos are of this erea.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On monday we went from Geelong to Mt Gambier on the Great Ocean Road. This road is very popular with bike riders in Australia and is well known. It was built by the return soldiers from the 2nd war. You should love the photos of this section. The photo with the wooden structure marks the start of the road and a plaque is laid in their memory.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts