Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an interesting day ride in South Australia.You will need a full day to enjoy this ride.Heading north of Adelaide through Gawler.Gawler is the old town that you would have stock up for your travels to the Mid North.Lots of old charm here.As you leave Gawler you are in the rolling hills, which is prime wheat farming.At this time of the year the wild flowers are out and the canola is patched amongst the green fields of wheat.Its a secondary road that is tar.The corners are posted as 80km. but can safely be taken at 100km/hrs.At Auburn it gets hillier and its the start of the wine growing area of the Clare Valley.Just before Clare is the turn off to Mintaro.This is part of the old bullock teams that took copper from the Burra mines.This was a resting spot because of perment water supply.At that time slate was found and they started to mine the slate.This slate is some of the highest quality in the world.A lot of the buildings are made of this slate and now the town is heritage listed.On the way home we stopped at Auburn and I took a photo of the town hall which is a Georgian style

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Looks like you had a great trip through some beautiful country. Thanks for taking us along with the pics.. Ride safe..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Never been in South Australia, but would love to get there. Is that a V65 Sabre?

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is a 700cc sabre,a USA import.I love showing people around SA.Last year I had a fried come out from the USA and I took him through the Adelaide hills to the Barossa Valley. A good time was had by both of us.Come on down under I am ready to be a guide.Eric

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Those are some very nice pictures, thanks for sharing. My wife and I are planning a trip next spring and we are flipping coins between Hawaii and Australia.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you come to South Australia let me early so I can organise so leave and I will show you around.Australia is about the same size the USA.so I think that you pick out what you want to see and go there.The east coast has more to see at closer distances but I do have a good knowledge from Perth through to Victoria.Be aware that a lot of our outback infomation online is not good.If there is anything you want to ask when it get closer just ask.Eric

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Eric,
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Our 25th anniversary is next June and we are planning a trip for April or May. We would love to go to Australia but the budget may stop us short in Hawaii. Tough choices.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Crownfire, if it's at all doable, aim for Australia, you won't be sorry. It's a long flight, but if you have sufficient time there, it's well worth the travel pain. We plan on going back, maybe do all three: South Au, Tasmania, and NZ. Just got to organize the time and the $$. The Aussie people are wonderful folks, and boy do they know how to roast a leg of pork!

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crownfire all I can say is that I would love to take time off and show you around or if you want to go it alone I can give you lots of information before hand to help you get the most scenic road and what there is the see and do.April/May is good as far as the weather goes, but it will be quite dry. Budoka you would want a lot of time to cover all of those locations. I can help out with advice on South Australia and Victoria. I have not traved in tassie or NZ but can tell both places are great.And when planing you trip there dont plan to cover big distances .We will make sure that we will have the best roast pork but it is a log way to come for a roast pork.When yopu get to planing let me know and I can send some photos of things that you could see. Any thing you want to know just ask.Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts