Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tackled adding a spare gas tank to their trike? I have a 2015 1800 trike that when traveling long distance would like to have the extra fuel to ensure making the next gas stop. My conversion is a RoadSmith. Parts needed and difficulty to perform would be of interest. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just a suggestion here: instead of spending big money on an additional fuel tank, (connected to your trike ) why not just purchase a good gas tank (maybe three gallons/at most) . One that will not leak, and place it in your rear storage compartment.... Unless you travel quite intensive, and very far away places where fuel stations are far and few in between.... I've had my R/smith trike for two season now, and I do travel quite alot on it, BUT I have never had the need for an addition tank, even when riding with a group, if I ever had a person complain because I have to fill up , and they have to stop because of me needed fuel, I CAN TELL YOU THAT I NEVER RIDE WITH THEM AGAIN...4 SURE
A extra three gallon tank at an auto store = $8.00 dollars
A extra three gallon tank connected to your bike = $ 1,000 dollars plus labor

(you tell me or I should say, which makes more sense to you)
This is only a suggestion/I'm just trying to help/too save you big money....

Ronnie
11/25/21

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a suggestion here: instead of spending big money on an additional fuel tank, (connected to your trike ) why not just purchase a good gas tank (maybe three gallons/at most) . One that will not leak, and place it in your rear storage compartmen
t.... Unless you travel quite intensive, and very far away places where fuel stations are far and few in between.... I've had my R/smith trike for two season now, and I do travel quite alot on it, BUT I have never had the need for an addition tank, even when riding with a group, if I ever had a person complain because I have to fill up , and they have to stop because of me needed fuel, I CAN TELL YOU THAT I NEVER RIDE WITH THEM AGAIN...4 SURE

Ronnie
11/25/21
I have been coming to the same conclusion.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just a suggestion here: instead of spending big money on an additional fuel tank, (connected to your trike ) why not just purchase a good gas tank (maybe three gallons/at most) . One that will not leak, and place it in your rear storage compartment.... Unless you travel quite intensive, and very far away places where fuel stations are far and few in between.... I've had my R/smith trike for two season now, and I do travel quite alot on it, BUT I have never had the need for an addition tank, even when riding with a group, if I ever had a person complain because I have to fill up , and they have to stop because of me needed fuel, I CAN TELL YOU THAT I NEVER RIDE WITH THEM AGAIN...4 SURE

Ronnie
11/25/21
I don’t have a trike but I am looking at them.

I saw where one manufacturer has an aux tank option and I thought it was a great idea. However a permanent loss of the space is a downside.

This is a good idea that I have not even thought of,,,Thanks.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I found it's not worth the money to add an aux fuel tank to an already built trike. Even if you could do it yourself, the parts from Roadsmith would be over $500. I learned the hard way that the aux fuel tank is nice to have. On my 2006 Goldwing / Roadsmith trike I didn't think it was necessary. But that quickly changed when we almost ran out of gas. On my 2019 Goldwing / Roadsmith trike, the aux fuel tank was a must. I'd not be comfortable with an $8 plastic gas can in my trunk. As the ambient temperature goes up, the gas expands causing the plastic can to "bloat". If you get enough bloating, the tank will vent fumes inside your trunk. Plus, three gallons of gas will take up a lot of space in your trunk. They do make a safe fuel can but most only hold a gallon or less. You might consider trading your trike for one that has the aux fuel tank. KD Cycle was more than fair when I traded my '06 for my '19. Here's a link to a good article. https://packupandride.com/5-ways-to-carry-extra-gas-on-your-motorcycle/

·
Registered
447 Posts
I found it's not worth the money to add an aux fuel tank to an already built trike. Even if you could do it yourself, the parts from Roadsmith would be over $500. I learned the hard way that the aux fuel tank is nice to have. On my 2006 Goldwing / Roadsmith trike I didn't think it was necessary. But that quickly changed when we almost ran out of gas. On my 2019 Goldwing / Roadsmith trike, the aux fuel tank was a must. I'd not be comfortable with an $8 plastic gas can in my trunk. As the ambient temperature goes up, the gas expands causing the plastic can to "bloat". If you get enough bloating, the tank will vent fumes inside your trunk. Plus, three gallons of gas will take up a lot of space in your trunk. They do make a safe fuel can but most only hold a gallon or less. You might consider trading your trike for one that has the aux fuel tank. KD Cycle was more than fair when I traded my '06 for my '19. Here's a link to a good article. https://packupandride.com/5-ways-to-carry-extra-gas-on-your-motorcycle/
The problem of trading in your old trike for one that has an aux tank already installed, would be the amount of money you'll lose just in appreciation ....alone.....would that be worth it to you, to lose $1,000's of dollars of appreciation, and than having to purchase another trike, pay more excise taxes, and pay the added expense of buying a new bike, just in case,at some point in your riding life you may run out of fuel ..... I don't want to be "Debbie Downer" here to you, It's only your decision, and yours alone, ....I have had my trike for a few seasons now, and have never even come close to running out of fuel, and believe me that I travel very far on tours with my trike....I have added 62,xxx miles riding and touring on my trike.... So it all depends on where you ride, all my destinations, all have gas stations on almost every corner...........

Ronnie
11/27/21

·
Registered
160 Posts
The problem of trading in your old trike for one that has an aux tank already installed, would be the amount of money you'll lose just in appreciation ....alone.....would that be worth it to you, to lose $1,000's of dollars of appreciation, and than having to purchase another trike, pay more excise taxes, and pay the added expense of buying a new bike, just in case,at some point in your riding life you may run out of fuel ..... I don't want to be "Debbie Downer" here to you, It's only your decision, and yours alone, ....I have had my trike for a few seasons now, and have never even come close to running out of fuel, and believe me that I travel very far on tours with my trike....I have added 62,xxx miles riding and touring on my trike.... So it all depends on where you ride, all my destinations, all have gas stations on almost every corner...........

Ronnie
11/27/21
The word is actually DEPRECIATION not appreciation but I also never said for him to get a NEW trike. Just a different one with the AUX tank. It was just a suggestion alternate to putting what amounts to a bomb in the trunk. I HAVE come close to running out of gas. With my new trike, I run the main tank M/T then transfer the fuel in the aux tank to the main tank then stop at the next gas station I see. We rode the Natchez Trace Parkway several years ago. It's 450 miles long with no gas stations in sight along the parkway. You have to get off the parkway at one of the exits to find one but you have no idea if there even is a station or if it's open or still in business. Another time was traveling along a brand new stretch of interstate and most of the exits led to nothing but farm land for as far as I could see. I finally found an open gas station and coasted in on fumes. The aux fuel tank gives me peace of mind. But thanks for your comments.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
i don't have a trike but i do have an aux tank on the Mighty ST 1300. i use to carry a 2 gallon gas can on the hitch rack carrier of my wing then had to build a box for the gas can to go in. when it got hot the gas can would expand and roll on its side, the box kept it upright
Water Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank

• Wow
Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
447 Posts
The word is actually DEPRECIATION not appreciation but I also never said for him to get a NEW trike. Just a different one with the AUX tank. It was just a suggestion alternate to putting what amounts to a bomb in the trunk. I HAVE come close to running out of gas. With my new trike, I run the main tank M/T then transfer the fuel in the aux tank to the main tank then stop at the next gas station I see. We rode the Natchez Trace Parkway several years ago. It's 450 miles long with no gas stations in sight along the parkway. You have to get off the parkway at one of the exits to find one but you have no idea if there even is a station or if it's open or still in business. Another time was traveling along a brand new stretch of interstate and most of the exits led to nothing but farm land for as far as I could see. I finally found an open gas station and coasted in on fumes. The aux fuel tank gives me peace of mind. But thanks for your comments.
Ooops! Thanks for the help/correction in words (your correct/ a serious, thanks :love:) When I Reread what I wrote, I laughed to myself,.... You are right, about the AUX fuel tank, I guess it's actually where you ride, and how far away from actual gas station(s) you are, or planning on riding.....Even riding thru Alaska with wife (rented bike while touring that state) a few year ago, I never had a problem, I just filled at the 1/2 point every station that I passed....BUT me living in Massachusetts I have never had a problem getting fuel when needed, cause there's a station almost on every corner

Ronnie
11/28/21

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ooops! Thanks for the help/correction in words (your correct/ a serious, thanks :love:) When I Reread what I wrote, I laughed to myself,.... You are right, about the AUX fuel tank, I guess it's actually where you ride, and how far away from actual gas station(s) you are, or planning on riding.....Even riding thru Alaska with wife (rented bike while touring that state) a few year ago, I never had a problem, I just filled at the 1/2 point every station that I passed....BUT me living in Massachuaetts

·
Registered
99 Posts
My brother has a Roadsmith and asked at Wingding in Billings years ago about adding one after the build. It was well over a thousand dollars. The cost at the time the bike was triked would have been less than 500. He didn’t do it when built and didn‘t do it afterwards, and lives with the range available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts