Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw Trikelady's post about Light show at Wing Ding. I am thinking about adding some lights. Not a whole lot of them but just a few. I was wondering will I need to up my alternator or will the stock one do. Just a few lights beneath the bike and a couple around the front and rear. I already have the moulding and trunk lights. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
LED's may not draw a lot of power and they can be used. But the weak link of the GL1500 is the alternator. My 1993 had the original alternator and it quit in August 2010 and I upgraded to the Compufire package which is the alternator and battery. I have old style driving lights and neons, both consumed a lot of power and when I added the voyager with two additional lights the demand increased.
That's how it starts out, just a few lights and then you want to add a few more.
Normally a Ring of Fire graces the rotor covers, use a two place connector so that they can be removed for tire changes, under the front fairing, at the base of the windshield for a fiber optic effect and under the trunk and saddlebags; don't forget fuses and switches.
Available are LED pods, hard strips, flexible strips and individual LED's with resistors.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The alternator on the 1800 is great, the one on the 1500 could not handle any extra lights but no worriers with the 1800 and the 08 has a bigger alternator than the early 1800.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, after I posted I checked with my Honda dealer and he told me the same. Now I just got to figure out what lights I wants. I don't want it to look to gaudy but do want it to look good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts