Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which tire pressure gauges are accurate in their readings? There's a whole slew of different gauge designs, from simple "shaft-like" units to digital readout ones, but which are really accurate (and why)? I don't believe (for instance) just because a gauge has a digital readout it's going to be more accurate than an analog one.

I've had this for a while:

But after taking a tumble at ~55mph on my old Bandit, I'm not sure how accurate it may be. Actually, I never really knew how accurate it was to begin with. It certainly LOOKS accurate, but like digital gauges, it doesn't mean that it IS accurate.

Which is the point of this thread. Does anyone know of truly accurate tire pressure gauges, and how do you know they are? Thanks.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
vid, I use a regular penclip pocket guage that I keep in my LH trunk cubby. There are some el-cheapo ones out there that look the same, but if you pay $2.99 for it....well you know. Lots of guys I know use the small digital ones like the GT580 and there are lots of others, many of them advertised in bike magazines.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I prefer to use a digital gauge, easy to read. The pencil type are good in a pinch, I did have one go bad. How old is the one you are currently using? I can only tell you I have a digital and it works well for me.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I would test any gauge against a known container... buddys spare tire and another gauge. If all 3 are ok, youre ok. Pay $5 - $10 for one and it ought to work. As Bud says if u get a $1.19 plastic one and the stick blows out on first use.... you won't be so eager to save pennys next time.

Always test before you begin your ride, nuff said.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Working in the truck leasing industry, we would have to calibrate out tire gauges weekly to a master air gauge and the master gauge would be calibrated yearly if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Trike, one thing I notice with your picture is that device take both hands to use. Keep things simple where you can.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
billcarr,
You're right that gentleman has to use both hands, no that's not good. That might work better for a car, not good for a bike where you have to reach under saddlebags and mufflers to reach the valve stem. Bad enough you have to get down on the floor and try to get up, stinks getting old. Mine is a Bike Master model DT-105 came from J&P Cycles and cost 17.99 before shipping and Florida sales tax.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
trike lady, mine is several years old. I bought it from our Snap-on rep on one of his visits to the shop. Paid $15-20 for it if I recall correct. I've seen one of the digitals in TW's post advertised in Cruiser, Motorcyclist and several other mags including Wingworld.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You do usually get what you pay for, but you don't need to pay $100 to get a decent gauge.

I prefer the type with a hose and regular dial face. I can turn the dial to read it out and then these usually have a bleed valve to make for accurate reduction to the right pressure.

But I also have a digital type that with its bright read-out is easy to use at night.

One place that I trust for tires and accessories is the Tire Rack. www.tirerack.com

NO, not motorcycle tires, but they do know car tires, and a gauge is a gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts