Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2005, I had installed an accessory socket in the left pocket to be able to charge different items. Over time, My Freewire got to take over that plug and I searched for a way to charge MP3 player or play it and charge my Cell Phone on long trips. So, using the plug under the right side pocket normally used for heated grips, I bought another acc. socket for the right side and plugged it in. Trouble with that is that pocket is smaller and the socket plus a USB adapter plug takes up a lot of room and barely can I fit my cell phone in the pocket. So, I also wired another ACC. socket inside the truck and have all I need as far as acc. charging places.

Then I came across the Dual USB Auxiliary Socket sold by Show Chrome for $24.99. It is about the same size as the other sockets I bought but the USB dual 2.1 amp sockets are built in saving space. This item also plugs into the existing right side or left side connectors. Easy to install (plug and play). I removed the right side cigarette lighter style socket in the right side pocket and replaced it with the new item and now am very happy with the fit.

I purchased this item Show Chrome P/N # 52-820 from Amazon. It was the same price as Wing Stuff but you save on shipping. Wing Stuff wanted $9.99 to ship and I have Amazon Prime so it was free to ship.

Because I mounted the new item in the right side pocket I had to be careful exactly where I drilled the 1 1/8 hole for the socket because lip or ledge created for strength just under the right side vent forward of the pocket in the top cover. The top edge of the Circle cut out with my Vari drill bit needs to be about 1.5 inches from the top of the pull out pocket. So you must add about another 3/4 of an inch for the center spot to drill.

·
Premium Member
2,409 Posts
:worthless_without_p

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
One thing you may find is that some of the USB adapters wont charge / maintain some phones. I would suggest you look for a fast charge adapter. A friends smart phone would not stay charged while riding with a couple of the adapter we tried.
After installing a fast charge adapter his phone will charge and and stay charged while he is using it on the bike.
We noticed that the phone would indicate it was charging at first but after awhile the charge level on the phone would drop on all the adapters we tried except the fast charge one.

I know some one is going to ask so I will say that I built a custom charger for him . But you can find then on the net here is one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0837QTMKB/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0837QTMKB&pd_rd_w=78ZoQ&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=i1390&pf_rd_r=4S1QPEFGPS4QHHJK1FXG&pd_rd_r=063f4a47-d7d2-4d45-8751-f3099cf1d6b4&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMDBBT09SREZRRzgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMzk1MTUxWjBSVERRUDlQMEoyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4OTEwODgzTUxWOE00TURXTTZKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would add the pictures from my computer but can not figure out how.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think I figured it out.

Ok, I am going to try to attach a couple pictures. I like this plug and it supports 2.1A at both connections. Remember it is in my 2005 right side pocket. Just remember that if you install to measure down the inside of the pocket before drilling the 1 1/8" hole to clear the lip of the top shelf as the box sits back into place. I wanted to put this connect towards the front of the box but it would not have cleared the radiator cap. The extra chord coming through the hole is the chord to my GPS routed beside the right side speaker and behind the instrument cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
One thing you may find is that some of the USB adapters wont charge / maintain some phones. I would suggest you look for a fast charge adapter. A friends smart phone would not stay charged while riding with a couple of the adapter we tried.

After installing a fast charge adapter his phone will charge and and stay charged while he is using it on the bike.

We noticed that the phone would indicate it was charging at first but after awhile the charge level on the phone would drop on all the adapters we tried except the fast charge one.

I know some one is going to ask so I will say that I built a custom charger for him . But you can find then on the net here is one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0837QTMKB/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0837QTMKB&pd_rd_w=78ZoQ&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=i1390&pf_rd_r=4S1QPEFGPS4QHHJK1FXG&pd_rd_r=063f4a47-d7d2-4d45-8751-f3099cf1d6b4&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMDBBT09SREZRRzgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMzk1MTUxWjBSVERRUDlQMEoyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4OTEwODgzTUxWOE00TURXTTZKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
That's what I need! My camera uses the battery faster than my currant charger can charge. Will that fit the same hole? I have the Show Chrome version.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
That's what I need! My camera uses the battery faster than my currant charger can charge. Will that fit the same hole? I have the Show Chrome version.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts