Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know......this isn't a Goldwing. Nonetheless, was hoping someone could figure this out. Tried to use the accessory plug to charge my phone. Plug doesn't work...
Maybe photos will help.
1 and 2 is the plug from MotorcycleLarrys
3 is the wire harness attached to the battery.
4. Is what I think is the wire from the accessory plug. The wire nuts are from when I tried to attach the wire to the battery wire harness. Once it was attached, the plug still does not charge.
Any and all help is appreciated
ImageUploadedByMO Free1405955712.137188.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1405955763.176252.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1405955817.568306.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1405955838.156044.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had wired it directly to the Battery there would be a fuse in the lead someplace
I agree Ron. Maybe the 2 wires I tried to connect to battery weren't from the plug. I was hoping to avoid taking the fairing off to check that wiring, but I may not have a choice.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question have you tried it with the key turned on ????. It might be set up to work off the switch ???/
Yes....on acc and with the bike running and nothing.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Look at picture #3. The + (12v) wire is the red and is shielded. The ground is the black wire and exposed. Agreed? Now Battery Tender has those same connectors. And here is the catch. To connect to a battery with their pig tail, they have to reverse the wire polarity when joining the two connectors together. So that Red (+12v) is the shielded portion on one connector and its the un-shielded part on the mating connector. That keeps Red to Red and ground to ground. The sides of the plug recepticle pic 1 is ground and the center portion at the bottom is the + connection. Make sure that the center portion is connected to +12v and the side is connected to Gnd. You probably know all this anyway so this may be redundant. Isaac

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
need to get a multimeter and check to see if the wires you have actually go to the connector plug. If not then we are just guessing, if they are there may be an issue with the plug itself. Hard to say with out digging into it myself, so feel free to bring it over this weekend and I will get you up and working in short order.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look at picture #3. The + (12v) wire is the red and is shielded. The ground is the black wire and exposed. Agreed? Now Battery Tender has those same connectors. And here is the catch. To connect to a battery with their pig tail, they have to reverse the wire polarity when joining the two connectors together. So that Red (+12v) is the shielded portion on one connector and its the un-shielded part on the mating connector. That keeps Red to Red and ground to ground. The sides of the plug recepticle pic 1 is ground and the center portion at the bottom is the + connection. Make sure that the center portion is connected to +12v and the side is connected to Gnd. You probably know all this anyway so this may be redundant. Isaac
Okay, from what I gather, photo 3 is the connector for a battery tender. No idea what photo 4 is leading to. Only way to know is to take the fairing off. Really didn't want to do that.....May just ride to Dustin's this weekend.:)

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what I know now. Just talked to the previous owner. He did put the plug in himself. Photo 4 with the wire nuts is the wire to that plug. Photo 3 is to a battery tender. He said he never connected the wires for the plug. Remember, I tried to connect this wire to the SAE with a inline 5A fuse at the red.

My new question is, should I have just connected them to the battery? or should the connection to the SAE have worked????

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Okay, from what I gather, photo 3 is the connector for a battery tender. No idea what photo 4 is leading to. Only way to know is to take the fairing off. Really didn't want to do that.....May just ride to Dustin's this weekend.:)
I got burgers and dogs we can throw on the grill, and plenty of beer and even some Genteman Jack left. Of course you can stay in the camper if you need to over night it, it has A/C and everything. Erica is out of town so I got nothing going other than mowing the yard.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got burgers and dogs we can throw on the grill, and plenty of beer and even some Genteman Jack left. Of course you can stay in the camper if you need to over night it, it has A/C and everything. Erica is out of town so I got nothing going other than mowing the yard.
Why is it that fellas think promises of beer and Jack is the way to my heart. :unsure:

I mean.....your right.....just wondering if its that obvious.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Why is it that fellas think promises of beer and Jack is the way to my heart. :unsure:

I mean.....your right.....just wondering if its that obvious.:beerchug:
Damn I'll ride down for beer and Jack

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
This is what I know now. Just talked to the previous owner. He did put the plug in himself. Photo 4 with the wire nuts is the wire to that plug. Photo 3 is to a battery tender. He said he never connected the wires for the plug. Remember, I tried to connect this wire to the SAE with a inline 5A fuse at the red.

My new question is, should I have just connected them to the battery? or should the connection to the SAE have worked????
so your saying he never wired the battery tender plug to the battery?

I would say undo the wire nuts and check those wires, one side or the other should go to the battery (using a realy or fuse, or any various means of connection for permenant connection) so you can check if the ACC plug is working or not.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so your saying he never wired the battery tender plug to the battery?

I would say undo the wire nuts and check those wires, one side or the other should go to the battery (using a realy or fuse, or any various means of connection for permenant connection) so you can check if the ACC plug is working or not.
Okay....I'm getting closer.

1. I checked the battery tender wire and got .2. Not good
2. Checked the battery on the bike and got 13.2. Good
3. I hooked a battery to the wires leading to the plug and it reads 12.7. (That tells me the wires the plug are correct)

My next plan is to connect those wires straight to the battery.
Should that do it? Or, is there a potential problem with that plug running the battery down? Know that I only use the plug while the bike is running.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
that should be fine, as long as you dont leave something plugged into it there will be no drain. Make sure you put a fuse in line somewhere so if there is an issue it wont smoke the wires.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that should be fine, as long as you dont leave something plugged into it there will be no drain. Make sure you put a fuse in line somewhere so if there is an issue it wont smoke the wires.
Putting a 5amp fuse on the red wire.
Thanks....I will keep you posted

1 - 20 of 26 Posts