Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to adding things onto the Goldwing. I checked the forum and it looks like Honda has a factory kit for an accessory outlet. So far all the installation tips point to installing it in the glove box. I don't like the idea of leaving the compartment open and stored items around if I am going to plug my heated vest into it. I prefer a more accessible location. Has anyone mounted the outlet in some other location? :)

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I am new to adding things onto the Goldwing. I checked the forum and it looks like Honda has a factory kit for an accessory outlet. So far all the installation tips point to installing it in the glove box. I don't like the idea of leaving the compartment open and stored items around if I am going to plug my heated vest into it. I prefer a more accessible location. Has anyone mounted the outlet in some other location? :)
What bike do you have?

You can put your location in your profile and it will show up when you post.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yes, the year and model helps. The 1800's have a couple options available to use. One is the fairing pocket, and there is also a pigtail in the trunk. You can also tie into the fuse block behind the left side-cover, there's an accessory terminal there. Finally, you can run a lead direct from the battery (I did that for my wife's Widder vest on the 1200) just be sure to fuse it and protect it from the elements.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Accessory outlet

If you are talking about a GL1800, (fairly new) you can install the power outlet in the left fairing compartment and then do what I did.

I enlarged the groove where the headset cable comes out of the fairing and routed the auxillary audio and the 12V power cable through there. They hook up to my handlebar mounted GPS. When the GPS is not in place I simply go into the "glove box" and unplug the 12V from the power outlet. Out of sight, out of the weather, available when needed.

Really gloomy and rainy here today, took the pic by flashlight with my cell phone camera.

Mel

Attachments

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I didn't have running lights on my 1800 so I put the plug for the heated gear where that switch would of went, next to the hazard switch.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Shoe.....the circuit is rated for a max of 5 amps. I think you will find it better to use wires back directly to the battery for heated clothing.

Lewis
Lewis. I was thinking the same thing. Hard to tell if " joe in calif " wired the plug into the OEM plug-n-play connector or wired the outlet shown to the battery or a terminal block with a 30 amp fuse. If he used the OEM fog light circuit connection, which is 5 amp max., something is gonna get warm and it probably won't be the rider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On the circuit that is made for the plug in cigarette lighter outlet, can it handle a GPS as well as a hot wire for an XM radio ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a smoker. I wanted a lighter to use so wind wouldn't be a problem. I installed the socket in the left box. A quick and easy job. Then velcroed a multi socket/lighter unit to the top of the left box cover. Yes, I do have a bulky plug in the socket in the box, but now I can plug in my GPS, phone charger, etc without opening the box. Suits my needs nicely.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a smoker.
We know. You left your video camera on. I unplugged mine for that very reason. I was in a chat room with my mom and she surprised me by asking about what appeared to be vapors wafting up from my side of the screen. I told it was a hot cup of coffee. OOPS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a smoker. I wanted a lighter to use so wind wouldn't be a problem. I installed the socket in the left box. A quick and easy job. Then velcroed a multi socket/lighter unit to the top of the left box cover. Yes, I do have a bulky plug in the socket in the box, but now I can plug in my GPS, phone charger, etc without opening the box. Suits my needs nicely.
Can you use it with a cigarette lighter? I just bought the kit but haven't installed it yet and the directions that came with it says not to be used for a cigarette lighter.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Can you use it with a cigarette lighter? I just bought the kit but haven't installed it yet and the directions that came with it says not to be used for a cigarette lighter.
A lighter draws a lot of power, just like an iron. What is the fuse rating that came with the kit.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Fuse rating is 3 amp.
You have to answer the question, " How many amps does a lighter draw ? ". I don't have the answer, so lets find out. My gut feeling is that the currant draw of that lighter is going to heat up more than just the lighter coils.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, I will have to look into that. At least I should be able to power my GPS with it. If I can't use a lighter with it, no big deal. Maybe I'll smoke a little less, I guess thats a good thing.

Thanks,

glen...

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Yes, I will have to look into that. At least I should be able to power my GPS with it. If I can't use a lighter with it, no big deal. Maybe I'll smoke a little less, I guess thats a good thing.

Thanks,

glen...
From what I have read most car cig lighter outlets are connected to a 10 amp fuse using 18 gauge wire.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
The lighter works fine. And I can use it while the GPS is on or the phone is charging. But not all three at one time. Easy guess how I proved that. DUH

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
It was an internal fuse within the unit. Had no effect on the bike's electrics at all. Still using it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts