Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to adding things onto the Goldwing. I checked the forum and it looks like Honda has a factory kit for an accessory outlet. So far all the installation tips point to installing it in the glove box. I don't like the idea of leaving the compartment open and stored items around if I am going to plug my heated vest into it. I prefer a more accessible location. Has anyone mounted the outlet in some other location? :)

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I am new to adding things onto the Goldwing. I checked the forum and it looks like Honda has a factory kit for an accessory outlet. So far all the installation tips point to installing it in the glove box. I don't like the idea of leaving the compartment open and stored items around if I am going to plug my heated vest into it. I prefer a more accessible location. Has anyone mounted the outlet in some other location? :)
What bike do you have?

You can put your location in your profile and it will show up when you post.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Yes, the year and model helps. The 1800's have a couple options available to use. One is the fairing pocket, and there is also a pigtail in the trunk. You can also tie into the fuse block behind the left side-cover, there's an accessory terminal there. Finally, you can run a lead direct from the battery (I did that for my wife's Widder vest on the 1200) just be sure to fuse it and protect it from the elements.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I didn't have running lights on my 1800 so I put the plug for the heated gear where that switch would of went, next to the hazard switch.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Hard to tell if " joe in calif " wired the plug into the OEM plug-n-play connector or wired the outlet shown to the battery or a terminal block with a 30 amp fuse. If he used the OEM fog light circuit connection, which is 5 amp max., something is gonna get warm and it probably won't be the rider.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a smoker. I wanted a lighter to use so wind wouldn't be a problem. I installed the socket in the left box. A quick and easy job. Then velcroed a multi socket/lighter unit to the top of the left box cover. Yes, I do have a bulky plug in the socket in the box, but now I can plug in my GPS, phone charger, etc without opening the box. Suits my needs nicely.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a smoker.
We know. You left your video camera on. I unplugged mine for that very reason. I was in a chat room with my mom and she surprised me by asking about what appeared to be vapors wafting up from my side of the screen. I told it was a hot cup of coffee. OOPS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a smoker. I wanted a lighter to use so wind wouldn't be a problem. I installed the socket in the left box. A quick and easy job. Then velcroed a multi socket/lighter unit to the top of the left box cover. Yes, I do have a bulky plug in the socket in the box, but now I can plug in my GPS, phone charger, etc without opening the box. Suits my needs nicely.
Can you use it with a cigarette lighter? I just bought the kit but haven't installed it yet and the directions that came with it says not to be used for a cigarette lighter.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Can you use it with a cigarette lighter? I just bought the kit but haven't installed it yet and the directions that came with it says not to be used for a cigarette lighter.
A lighter draws a lot of power, just like an iron. What is the fuse rating that came with the kit.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Fuse rating is 3 amp.
You have to answer the question, " How many amps does a lighter draw ? ". I don't have the answer, so lets find out. My gut feeling is that the currant draw of that lighter is going to heat up more than just the lighter coils.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, I will have to look into that. At least I should be able to power my GPS with it. If I can't use a lighter with it, no big deal. Maybe I'll smoke a little less, I guess thats a good thing.

Thanks,

glen...

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Yes, I will have to look into that. At least I should be able to power my GPS with it. If I can't use a lighter with it, no big deal. Maybe I'll smoke a little less, I guess thats a good thing.

Thanks,

glen...
From what I have read most car cig lighter outlets are connected to a 10 amp fuse using 18 gauge wire.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
The lighter works fine. And I can use it while the GPS is on or the phone is charging. But not all three at one time. Easy guess how I proved that. DUH

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
It was an internal fuse within the unit. Had no effect on the bike's electrics at all. Still using it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just added a power plug to the left fairing pocket of my 1800, it is a plug and play to a plug just under the pocket. Not sure which fuse it was I started pulling fuses, it turned out to be the Audio/ Accessory fuse which is 15amps. I rarely use the radio and installed this mainly for use with my new Slime compressor if needed. I actually used it the other day to top off the tires with no probems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can I remove the 5 amp fuse and put in a 15 amp fuse? It fits, works, but not sure that's OK to do. If I can do that, my installation is done with. I want to run my heated vest and instructions say I need 15 amps. Will the load be OK with how Honda wired it up?
I don't want to do it and then realize I just burnt up my fuse panel.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
You would burn up the wire harness if you did that.

A fuse is there to protect the gauge of wire used in the circuit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.