Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum. Just joined.
Looking to purchase a 2005 Gold Wing. How do I confirm that the bike has ABS btrakes or do all 2005's have them?
If I had the VIN #, could I check with a dealer?
Are integrated brakes the equivalent of ABS?

Thanks for the help.

Jim T.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Jim,
All later wings have "linked" brakes, not all are ABS. ABS usually starts with the level 3 bikes, but not sure what year they started ABS. The experts will be along shortly and provide you your answer.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
ABS is available on all 1800's.
Those that have ABS, have an ABS indicator light on the instrument panel.
All 1800 Wings have a linked braking system whether ABS or not

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
There is a toothed gear on the front wheel near the hub; kind of looks like it's part of the RH brake rotor assembly, about the diameter of a baseball. Not real sure about the earlier 1800's, but there should also be an ABS decal or marking on the fork leg lower section (plastic cover). The Wing braking system is combined as well as linked with both controls operating both front and rear brakes.

·
Registered
741 Posts
There is a toothed gear on the front wheel near the hub; kind of looks like it's part of the RH brake rotor assembly, about the diameter of a baseball. Not real sure about the earlier 1800's, but there should also be an ABS decal or marking on the fork leg lower section (plastic cover). The Wing braking system is combined as well as linked with both controls operating both front and rear brakes.
Exactly. What Budoka said:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
See if you can test ride one with ABS and "test" them out... hit them hard.

My opinion is :
I dont like the sensation of not being in control of the functionality of the bike. Once the abs kicks in, you can no longer manipulate the foot or hand controls ... well you can but there isnt a response. ... it feels like it takes longer to stop also. But ... the wheels do not lock up ... at least the two times Ive reached a point to need ABS. One test, one real. I didnt think of trying this kind of test while I test rode.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I have had several bikes with ABS including a Wing, a Beemer, an ST1300, a V-Strom. In 10s of thousands of miles I used ABS once in a panic stop, my '02 Wing. It saved my butt. There is no way I could have munipulated the brakes quickly enough without them locking up. Today I have a 2010 Yellow Wing without ABS. I would prefer ABS but the linked system is still very good. My goal is to ride in such a manner to avoid emergency stops as much as possible; if there are many of them the rider is doing something wrong.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I have a question for the expert GWer's out there. During the process of buying a new Wing, initially I was dead set on a Level 3 with ABS. I had ABS on my 2011 Street Glide and thought it was a very important safety feature. A couple of dealers I was working with convinced me that the integrated braking system on the Wing is so exceptional that most people will not spend the extra money for Level 3. So I dropped down to a Level 1, because I couldn't see spending $2,500 for navigation when I can buy a portable GPS for $100. Would you be so kind to give me your feedback on the integrated brakes versus ABS? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I've had my ABS kick in twice. Both times have been when someone has pulled out or turned in front of me. Both times were on dry pavement, both times were definitely panic stops. Both times I believe the ABS prevented me from either hitting them or going down. It made be a believer.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
While all the GL1800's have linked brakes (all controls operate all the brake systems to some degree regardless of which control is activated) the ABS system is combined and linked, meaning the ABS functions on all brakes regardless of which control is activated as well. Explaining it gets a bit complicated but the combined system still gives you the advantages of ABS regardless of control activation. Most systems don't do that; lever controls front and pedal controls rear. In the bikes that have linked systems that don't combine, then ABS is either limited or not there at all. For example V-Stroms have ABS, but stomping on the rear pedal alone eliminates ABS on the rear brake and a full application of pedal force will induce a skidding rear wheel.
You'll never notice ABS until you need it and its not there.
TwoIron, why down to level 1? The comfort package is really nice to have.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I've had my ABS kick in twice. Both times have been when someone has pulled out or turned in front of me. Both times were on dry pavement, both time were definitely panic stops. Both times I believe the ABS prevented me from either hitting them or going down. It made be a believer.
+1 It has only happened to me once, and that is 1 time too many. :surprise: The ABS worked flawlessly and the bike remained completely stable. It kept me alive in a situation where I could only brake as hard as I could. I somehow had the presence of mind to remember the ABS and just tried to mold the brake and clutch levers into the grips and break the pedal off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
While all the GL1800's have linked brakes (all controls operate all the brake systems to some degree regardless of which control is activated) the ABS system is combined and linked, meaning the ABS functions on all brakes regardless of which control is activated as well. Explaining it gets a bit complicated but the combined system still gives you the advantages of ABS regardless of control activation. Most systems don't do that; lever controls front and pedal controls rear. In the bikes that have linked systems that don't combine, then ABS is either limited or not there at all. For example V-Stroms have ABS, but stomping on the rear pedal alone eliminates ABS on the rear brake and a full application of pedal force will induce a skidding rear wheel.
You'll never notice ABS until you need it and its not there.
TwoIron, why down to level 1? The comfort package is really nice to have.
Hey Budoka - thanks for the feedback. To answer your question, the Level 1 GW I am purchasing is the Comfort and Audio package. Level 2 added nav; Level 3 ABS, and Level 4 airbag.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've had my ABS kick in twice. Both times have been when someone has pulled out or turned in front of me. Both times were on dry pavement, both time were definitely panic stops. Both times I believe the ABS prevented me from either hitting them or going down. It made be a believer.
I too have had to apply the brakes very hard a couple of times on my Harley whenever someone pulled out in front of me and the ABS worked very well. I just hope the integrated braking is as good as the dealers led me to believe.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I too have had to apply the brakes very hard a couple of times on my Harley whenever someone pulled out in front of me and the ABS worked very well. I just hope the integrated braking is as good as the dealers led me to believe.

No dealer should ever even elude to the fact that integrated braking is anywhere's near as good as or a replacement for ABS.Don't get me wrong as I really like the linked brakes,but ABS IS A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL of control.In fact any ambulance chasing lawyer would have a hay day with a statement like that after you go out,lock up your wheels and dump your bike(if you live to sue).

The beauty part of ABS is if you're that good a rider(lots of riders think they are)it will never ever activate,but that one time circumstances get the best of you it could very well save you.In other words it's just along for the ride until you really need it and if you ride long enough at some point you'll need it.If the ABS totally fails you still have normal braking.I would suggest to anyone in your position to take a half hour or whatever it takes to do some reading on how a modern ABS system actually works before making a decision.I've read a lot of reasons as to why riders absolutely don't want it and I've yet to read a good one other than maybe they couldn't afford it at the time.If you don't have the money,you don't have the money.JMHO.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No dealer should ever even elude to the fact that integrated braking is anywhere's near as good as or a replacement for ABS.Don't get me wrong as I really like the linked brakes,but ABS IS A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL of control.In fact any ambulance chasing lawyer would have a hay day with a statement like that after you go out,lock up your wheels and dump your bike(if you live to sue).

The beauty part of ABS is if you're that good a rider(lots of riders think they are)it will never ever activate,but that one time circumstances get the best of you it could very well save you.In other words it's just along for the ride until you really need it and if you ride long enough at some point you'll need it.If the ABS totally fails you still have normal braking.I would suggest to anyone in your position to take a half hour or whatever it takes to do some reading on how a modern ABS system actually works before making a decision.I've read a lot of reasons as to why riders absolutely don't want it and I've yet to read a good one other than maybe they couldn't afford it at the time.If you don't have the money,you don't have the money.JMHO.

Thanks FWC!

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's wrong of Honda to make folks buy an overpriced nav just to get ABS. It should be standard on a premier motorcycle (BMW for years now) or at least available at all trim levels.

They do the same on their little ctx700. You have to buy the automatic to get the ABS.

I bought a new Harley in 13. I looked high and low to get the model I wanted with ABS. It's not the 60's anymore and ABS is potentially way more valuable an invention than fuel injection.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know this is an older thread, but I have a question for the expert GWer's out there. During the process of buying a new Wing, initially I was dead set on a Level 3 with ABS. I had ABS on my 2011 Street Glide and thought it was a very important safety feature. A couple of dealers I was working with convinced me that the integrated braking system on the Wing is so exceptional that most people will not spend the extra money for Level 3. So I dropped down to a Level 1, because I couldn't see spending $2,500 for navigation when I can buy a portable GPS for $100. Would you be so kind to give me your feedback on the integrated brakes versus ABS? Thanks.
As I understand it, ABS and integrated braking are two different systems. ABS prevents wheel lock up on hard braking (front and rear) whereas integrated braking is proportional braking, ie. when either front or rear brakes are applied, a proportion of the braking is done automatically by the other wheel. The systems work well for me and I would never have a road bike without ABS.

Hope this helps, Regards, Jim Thomason

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.