Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Vulcan 1600 Nomad and my wife and I are looking to buy an older wing. The Nomad started to vibrate so bad that my wife won't even ride now. This vibration started at about 4500 miles. Its affecting me now. So we are looking to buy a Goldwing. We have heard how smooth riding they are. Can someone give some advise on a 1200 or maybe a 1500? We can't afford a new one and I owe more on the Vulcan than what its worth! So we are looking to buy an older wing. Don't know much about them but have heard they had electrical issues,is this true? I have been looking on line and found them between $1500 and $5000 for a late 80s model Are the 84 to 89 models good ones? That looks like all we can afford in our price range. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated. We live in Vancouver Wa. would like to join other wing riders on some rides when we get our wing! Thanks for reading my thread. p.s. I took this to the dealer to complain about the vib,the tech(two of them)said yep there is a problem but when we contacted Kawasaki about the vib they just blew us off with the statement that "its a V-Twin they all vibrate" My bud across the street has a Harley and he let me ride it and it is much smoother than mine!! A HARLEY!! no less! waaaa! I want a wing!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,575 Posts
First, welcome to the board from the Keystone state. I have a friend who lives in Liberty Lakes, WA. As far as Wings go, if I could afford it I would go for a 1500 vs a 1200 model. Many improvement and enhancements were made to the 1500 over previous year Wings. I think the 1500 is really the first long distance touring bike in the Honda line, but others may disagree. Since the 1500 was made from 1988-2000 parts are more readly available and more accessories as well. Look around and search the web and you should be able to find a 1500 in your price range. Many 1500 owners have reported well over 100k trouble free miles so don't let high mileage scare you off. Just make sure the bike has been properly maintained and oil and other fluids have been changed at recommended intervals. Good luck on your search. Hope you find the Wing of your dreams...

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Welcome bikerdave, I was in your spot a few years back when I was looking to get my first wing. I got a lot of advice from lots of folks and they pretty much told me what Two wheel just stated. One of the most important things for me was having reverse( I'm a short guy) so I spent a little more and went with a 1500, and am really glad I did. I'm sure you'll get a lot of feed back here, lots of good people who have been there and done that. ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF bikerdave, if i were you i would get the newest lowest milage 1500 wing in my price range. in my search for a 1500 the majority had between 70 and 100,000 miles on them some had more. i wanted a white and silver '95 anniversery edition but found a teal '93 se with just under 40,000 miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thank you for your replys. We have decided to find a 1500. I talked to a local goldwing independent shop and he gave me some lowdown on the wing.said the 1500 was best bet because the older 1200 1100s parts are getting hard to find if at all. man i cant wait! I'm ready for a smooth ride thats for sure! I would love to be able to get a 1800 but due to the economy hammering me hard we cant swing that much money at this time. Thanks again and LETS RIDE!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,303 Posts
Hi bikerdave, welcome to the forum. If you do find a good deal on a 1987 GL1200 it is the best of the 1200s. Honda had made several important improvements by then.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome from Canada BikerDave. I had an '82 1200 and currently ride a '91 1500. Big difference in power. Wouldn't want to go back....it's there when you need it.
Strat

·
Registered
60 Posts
bikerdave, Good choice on the 1500. I've had both a 1200 and have had my '91 1500 for many years. The 1500 Wing is a WONDERFUL bike. Plenty of power, even for two up. You wanted smooth and no vibrations, it's the right bike. There are no vibes on the Wing. I often think of mine as turbine smooth. I have 117,000 miles on mine, it still runs great. Very well balanced, I can almost come to a complete stop witout putting my feet down. Love my Wing. Get one, I think both you and your wife will like it alot. My wife and daughter love to ride with me on the Wing.

·
Banned
3,210 Posts

Welcome from Seattle!

I have a 94 1500 Interstate with 34,000 miles. I bought it last year for $3500 from someone who felt they needed to own a new Kawasaki Nomad. I had an 05 Nomad two years ago.

Interstate = (no reverse, no air compressor, no frills) (weighs less)

If you came up to Seattle for a visit, I would let you ride my 1500 to see what a Goldwing is like.

Sell the Nomad and buy a wing. You won't be disappointed if you plan to do much two up riding, your passenger will thank you in many ways.

·
Premium Member
17,174 Posts
I've had a 1200 a good bike but my1500 is great. I've put 170,000 miles on it and it's till running like new. There are some good low mileage 1500's around.
Oh we live about 270 miles due North of you.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
691 Posts
159000 miles on the Green Wing and going strong. Love it. The only time it burns oil is when I leave her on tthe side stand. Good compresion and no leaks. I had all of the coolant lines replaced had to fix a bunch of hillbilly engineering. Pollished out the aluminum including valve covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let me tell you about a smooth ride
I got an 88 GL1500 given to me for free
from this older gentleman who just couldn't ride no more
and he knew I would appreciate it and restore it
After I got it back from the shop all the guys at work with all the brand new
Harleys and Honda Furys where setting outside looking at my old clunker wing
I told them about a story I heard the one where an engineer for honda told a group
about "The Rolls Royce Nickel Test"
I put a nickle on the head of the engine on it's edge setting up
and started up the old 88....I redlined it three times in front of all of them
a big crowd
then shut the engine off and the nickel was still standing up on it's edge.
Two minutes later a harley pulled up two bikes over and the nickel fell over
Hahahaha.....say's it all...
To this day they can't believe what they saw and I get no jokes about my wing

Burdicda

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bikerdave, 1500gw , is a good choice, get one with reverse, you wont regret it. They are nice for short riders im 5 ft 10 in i love my reverse. Happy riding

·
Registered
2 Posts
help

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

I am new to the WHOLE WING era!!! :D Bought a 1985 1200i 53,000 last year... LOVED the RIDE sold it this year.. got 1988 1500 121,000 still smooth but I'm having some charging problems the last owner put a volt meter on and when I ride looks good and like it is charging so I think the alternator is working:confused: but when i am at ilde the volt meter reads only 3 bars.. there are like 9bars red,yellow,green. Please help me with ideas on the first step... I'm thinking of changing the battery

1 - 17 of 17 Posts