Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just installed a Amsoil air filter in my 97 GL1500 SE. I noticed when I removed the old filter it looked completly different than the aftermarket one? The OEM filter a a fine metal mesch screen on the bottom and was shaped kinda like a V? On top it had 2 small green filters and the a white one next to it, that had it's own screws to remove it. It looked kinda like a breather filter or something????

Can anyone shed some lite on the subject? Thanks in advance! Scott!:D

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey guys I just installed a Amsoil air filter in my 97 GL1500 SE. I noticed when I removed the old filter it looked completly different than the aftermarket one? The OEM filter a a fine metal mesch screen on the bottom and was shaped kinda like a V? On top it had 2 small green filters and the a white one next to it, that had it's own screws to remove it. It looked kinda like a breather filter or something????

I know there is a pre-breather something or another filter on my 1989 GL1500, but my OEM air filter had a metal cage on the bottom and was shaped more like wings with a V-like curve bisecting it. My fitler didn't have other filters attached to it.. at least I hope not since I don't want to open it back up anytime soon :) It didn't; it was all one piece.. if I'm reading you right.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts

It sounds like you have a California model; That's what the smaller White filter is, my '88 (non California) had the same filter w/the metal screen,but, not the smaller White filter..just the two Green ones.
I put a K&N in mine..it does not have the screen either. I "think" that screen is intended to be a backfire safety thing..but, I'm just guessing. BTW, I think the Cali models have charcoal in that extra White filter.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts