Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I have created a monster. Now that i have returned from my solo tour up to the Smokies, Wendy "The Bodyguard", wants a bike that offers more touring comfort. Her current VTX 1300 was not purchased with long distance touring in mind. She previously had the opinion that a Wing was just too much bike for her. So today went and looked at touring bikes. We looked at Kawasaki and we looked at Yamaha. Then She test drove a Harley Streetglide and really liked it! She was sold on the Streetglide. So we pull up in the driveway back at home and there sits my Wing on the side stand. She hops up on the bike and stands it upright then says "shoot this is easier than any of the other ones! And this one has the heated grips, heated seat, cruise control AND the reverse; none of 'em have all this! I could do this...."
I'm not sure why but I am more hesitant about her getting a GW than the Streetglide. Maybe because the Harley has a lower seat height and maybe because it is a little less weight than a GW? I dunno. I know you folks can't make up my mind for me but just looking for some feedback. At 5'6", 130 lbs is a GW too much for a woman this size?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
my sister in-law said she could handle mine , she is the same height little more chunky and she does great on it

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I saw you Pm that 2012 owner. We have a new member here named " PinkToes " in Arizona who is riding her father's 08. I think she said she weighed in at 125 lbs. But don't quote me on that. Talk to PinkToes.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the 2012 Goldwing is gone... He sold it to a dealer in Austin.

We just went back outside and this time Wendy put on her riding boots instead of flip flops. I lowered the height adjustment to 4 and she sat on the bike, started it and checked out the reverse. She backed out pulled in backed out and pulled back in. Then I put it up on the center stand, adjusted the Utopia backrest and she sat back with her feet up on the highway pegs.... and grinned.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Well the 2012 Goldwing is gone... He sold it to a dealer in Austin.

We just went back outside and this time Wendy put on her riding boots instead of flip flops. I lowered the height adjustment to 4 and she sat on the bike, started it and checked out the reverse. She backed out pulled in backed out and pulled back in. Then I put it up on the center stand, adjusted the Utopia backrest and she sat back with her feet up on the highway pegs.... and grinned.
It's all over but the crying. Congratulations you two. Now the only choice is color. May I recommend a Pearl White to compliment your Black Oyster Pearl ?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
my niece lisa is about the same height and my gf sandee is an inch shorter. i've taken both of them to test ride a '10 wing out at town and country. t&c tells youa nice little curvy road to take the ride on but if you go on a weekend when there is a race at mis they just tell you to ride it the other way, we've hadsome great test rides on an 1800 wing and both ladys handled the wing just fine

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Chopin I think you are correct. That 2012 on this forum was a heck of a deal. I don't understand why he didn't get any interest. Phil sold it for $17500. I guess I can cancel the 2 day Harley rental I had scheduled. Wendy has driven my Wing before; we will go out, weather permitting, this weekend. She will drive it again with her "new attitude" and confirm what we already know. The Streetglide is/was a nice bike but at $20k+ it just can't compare to a Wing for what the Wing does best and for what she really wants in her next bike, that is, the comfort package and protection from the elements.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Met a couple at a thruway rest stop with matching yellow Goldwings. Both in their mid 60's and the wife was probably about 5'4" and had no problem maneuvering that rig around. If your wife is comfortable on the wing then I would say go for it.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
$20,000 +/- for a Street-Glide ? Granted there is more metal than ABS plastic on a Harley, but if they are charging you by the pound the Goldwing is a better deal. Get Wendy a nice Pearl White and we'll get her comfortably fitted.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$19500 in red, $2k for the 'Power Pack' engine, $300 for cruise control, etc etc.

Thanks for the replies... I am feeling better about this already! A quick search on Cycletrader shows a 2010 Airbag model (not crazy about the airbag) w 4000 miles, Utopia backrest, pegs, luggage rack, etc asking $20k. Guess I am going to have a talk w Santa.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
You are embarking on a new era in your lives Don. Of course you know you will have to update your bodyguards picture.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
$19500 in red, $2k for the 'Power Pack' engine, $300 for cruise control, etc etc.
Does that price include a complimentary tattoo ? " Power Pack " engine ? Only in America do we make the bare minimum so we can sell you the options. Harley came out with the six speed tranny I believe in 07 ( ? ), and without adding any additional engine power at the same time that sixth gear was a sleeping dog on anything but the flattest roads. In 2011 ( ? ) they beefed up the stock engine size to 103 cu. in. and that made the sixth gear more usable under various road grades. I rented a 2011 Ultra-Glide and noticed staying in sixth gear a lot longer than the previous years on the same roads.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Now you've gone and done it. You let here ride a wing. Now she's hooked and your looking through the "for sale" ads. It's like taking kids to a pet store and allowing them hold a puppy.... Those puppies cast a spell on you and next thing you know your buying a leash, food and puppy pee pads for you know who.

Ride safe and congrats to Wendy in advance on her new wing.....

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Well look at it this way. Well instead I will just say I love motorcycles, ALL of them. I just chose to ride the best. So you/she is making the right choice. Nothing but the best to ya!! :D

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Happy 'bodyguard' means happy life:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
:) Check this web-site out. You may have some interest for your lady's new Wing. This unit lowers the Wing. http://www.lowerwingproducts.com

By the way, I know several lady riders of Gold Wings about the size of your lady and several rides then into the ground. They have become excellent riders. ;)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah yeah yeah I am done like toast... On both sides. I think I've been had. Either my plan just didn't work out or else she had me at 'hello' as soon as I got back from my solo tour. I suggested she needed more protection and comfort to be better able to do some longer distances. I was thinking add a fairing, heated grips, highway pegs, hard bags etc to her VTX 1300. Just to show her how open I was to considering other options I offered to look at other bikes. Based on what I "knew" from our conversations, she did not like Harleys and she said the Wing was too much. I figured id take her to see Kawas and Yammies and she'd see no advantage to making that change. I figured she could drive a Harley but so what, she does not like Harleys. Knowing that Wings are waaaay to much bike for her (or so she said), I'd get the "good guy" points and just upgrade her VTX. Well when she gave me the "I love the Harley" thing I saw $20k for a new bike, $3k for our new Harley couples suits, and $2k for our new body art! When we pulled up at home with her still buzzzzzing from the Harley ride, I said, "are you sure a Wing is not the better option?" As quick as I asked the question, she was on the Wing and suddenly saw the light and agreed the Wing was the right choice! As much as this sounds like a Seinfeld episode, I assure you this is my story and I am sticking to it. I know it's the better choice that's the easy part. I just didn't expect her to agree with me! I will update the Bodyguard's picture....

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I saw the titllating title, 'woman on a wing'. I had flashbacks of EasyRider and it reminded me of a short story.

There was a young greyhound at the track. It got faster and faster and closer and closer to catching the electric rabbit. Finally, one day, the dog caught the rabbit.

By opening this thread, I thought I got what I wanted but it wasn't what I expected.

Good luck funding the 2 wings.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
....................! I will update the Bodyguard's picture....
It would help us to get her fitted for the Wing if we had some visuals and measurement . The old " Five foot two, eyes of blue,,,,,,, " is fine for a song but we're talking motorcycles here.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't have a lot of details off the top of my head but I think seat height is about 29" and dry weight is in the 850 lbs neighborhood

1 - 20 of 29 Posts