Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is this for a Sunday. The grandkid stayed overnight and you get woke up with a couple of happy children. That means all the normal things that you do for small children. I had breakfast with them, played cars with the grandson and then onto play dough. At lunch the phone rings and it's my work mate looking for a ride. Out with the wing, check the tyre's, put the riding gear on and away I go.
I meet up with Warren who has a Victory Jackpot. That is alright because a 28 year old wing is more than a match for a 2012 Victory. We have clear blue sky but it is a bit cool. Well it is winter here and it can be 75f every day.
We go straight into the twisty road through the Chain of Ponds road to Williamstown. There was too many tin tops to slow us down, so it was not as much fun as it could have been. At the turn off to Wiliamstown we drop off most of the traffic and the road opens up a bit more. The speed pick up to 65 mph on a road that still has some good higher speed corners as it goes up and down the hills.
At Williamstown we have a coffee break and discuss the in's and out's of the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
There was too many tin tops to slow us down, Thanks Eric I now have a down under thing I can say when I am slowed down.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Great little ride Eric. Thanks for taking us along.

G.D. we had 1 too many tintops that slowed us down on 216.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
YES WE DID and MZ Dragon loved how you moved with no tin tops in front of us.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
YES WE DID and MZ Dragon loved how you moved with no tin tops in front of us.
Was hoping that it wasn't too quick. I like a nice steady pace. Doesn't have to be the fastest (like when Chopin & Don took off) but steady. Almost as if the Nighthawk has cruise control.:D

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
No it was great and we all know them boys from the south like to go fast.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok back to the second part of the story. I love this time of the year over here (winter), yes it can get cold and sometime it even rains. But not today.
Leaving Williams town we ride through the Barossa Valley which is one of our wine area's. There still are a few of the golden leaves on the vines and on some of the trees. The grass is now green and the road rolls over gentle hills and round corners that are good for 55mph. By the time we get to Angaston the country changes to dairy farms and small sheep farms. The lambs are out with their white fleece and jumping around like small children on red cordial.
Now we start to head back home through Birdswood where we get gas. The trees are tall here and you can smell the pine trees as you ride along. The road gets very twisty through here and we ride the road called the cork screw. The corners are so slow that you almost stop to get around them.
I can see that I will have to get a helmet cam or something so that you do not have to use so much imagination.
A couple of photo's at the gas station. Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I try not to use too much Aussie slang. At least there was no confusion with our tin tops. So what do you call cars in your slang. Eric

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
I try not to use too much Aussie slang. At least there was no confusion with our tin tops. So what do you call cars in your slang. Eric
We have lots of them Eric & some are determined by which state your in. Some are also refered to as their occupants. Case in point is Blue Hairs.

By the way sorry for the Hijack before.:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
OUT OF MY WAY YOU CAGES. I loved the ride report Eric.The corners are so slow that you almost stop to get around them and I loved this one two. O know don't change a thing I know what you are saying.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Great report Eric. Enjoyed all of it. Thanks for the pictures.

Ride Safe Always!!!

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
Thanks for taking us along on your ride. Winter here is the same, it may get cold but I can ride year round. Keep that Aussie Slang coming, it keeps us scratching our heads figuring out what you meant.

I worked on a fire once with a guy from Tasmania. He got into my truck one morning and said he was "all buggered and naked" (I think that is right it has been a few years) and I wasn't sure what to think. He explained it and I had to laugh at our english language differences.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes Mark if you have a hard weekend (on the turps) you may say that you are, "all buggered an nackered". It has nothing to do with the proper meaning of the word. It just means you are so tired. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
No it was great and we all know them boys from the south like to go fast.
Whoa!!! Check that...The farther south you go the slower it gets. That goes with the syrupy speech as well as riding a wing. Remember in NC Chopin led the Double Black Diamond Slopes and I led the Bunny Slopes. But thats in the twisties...Give me the straights and big swings and I can run with most.

+1 on Cages....I know when I ride in them, I feel caged.

Eric, I do hope your practicing your right side of the road riding skills.:)

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was doing that the other day and I got the biggest thump in the middle of the back. Then I was told to ride on the left side of the road and stay on the right side. :D
Surely I can get a sticker with something like "stay right".
You can laugh if you like but I have been practicing looking both way before stepping of the foot path. Over here you look right as you step off and then halfway over look left. Everytime I cross the road at the moment I am looking both ways.
When I was in the states and was driving, it was funny the number of time I went to the right side of the car to drive it. It is just automatic to go to the right side. When I get over there in the states I have to go to the left side to drive on the right side. Have I confused anyone yet. Eric

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Thanks for taking us along on your ride.

At the end of the day, your old bike was the more comfortable one.

The slang is ok. For us lazy readers, we just skip over those parts and enjoy the spirit of the story. It is all about the smiles to the miles.

They are called stupid cagers here. $%#@$%@#$% cagers at times. Tin tops is great for vocabulary building.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Around here we call some Cages or Old Man with a hat, (geeze driving slow.) and we have the Blue Hairs.
I even know of a Red Wing called Bluey.:D

I do like the Tin Top thing. Have to try and remember that.
Oh looks like a nice ride.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Nice ride report, Eric.

I thought from the title, you had won a lottery! :)

Usually, I just call the cars idiots!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts