Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A very basic question regarding engine shutdown

7K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  GL18HPNA 
#1 ·
As a new Wing owner, you can imagine that I'm reading everything there is regarding this wonderful machine.

As to the simple task of just turning it off. The owners manual says, turn off the ignition key and only use the kill switch in the event of an emergency. I thought I read somewhere that you should use the kill switch all of the time as shutting down by turning off the ignition key can cause issues. When I had my 97 Valkyrie, I always used the kill switch. Any opinions?:confused:;)

#3 ·
Rich this has been discussed a lot & I seem to remember the consesus was.... What the heck is the difference. An Ole Fossil always mixes it up & uses both from time to time.

#4 ·
To tell you the truth, I don't know why they even have a kill switch, I never use mine except when I knock it and wonder why the bike wont start, cars don't have a switch. If I remember some people use the kill switch to run other things, like extra lights.

#15 · (Edited)
The kill switch saved a friend from death one time , his engine accelerated and he couldn't do nothing except turn the engine switch off

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

#5 ·
Rich,

As a RiderCoach for the MSF, I can certainly tell you that any stories you may or might have been told about using the ignition switch (key) is pure bullsh*t...! :mad:

The way to shut down your Gold Wing is what I always say to students either in the military or civilian world, I teach both. "Thumb key". This gets you in the habit of always shutting down the motorcycle without removing your hand from the handle bars. I call this good motorcycle hygiene.

There is nothing you can do to hurt your Gold Wing by using the cut off switch...

#7 ·
I was in the habit of using the kill switch on my Valkyrie, so it was second nature for me to use the Thumb Key (kill switch) on the Wing. Just by your statement and logic of not removing your hands from the handle bars, I'll continue to use the 'Thumb Key' exclusively!

Thanks everyone for your interest and input! :)

#8 ·
First off I should have stated why I use the process like I do. You nailed my rational as to why :)

The fact that is second nature for you is a plus....

I have see so many motorcycle riders use their left had to turn the key (I know, this makes no logic at all) and the motorcycle is still in first gear at worst or another gear. Yes it is true, stupid hurts...and you can't fix it.

I try very hard "not" to use the word "kill" when referring to the shut off switch. Just my preference...we don't kill anything. (lol)

In the "mom" book, motorcycle Owner's Manual the manufacture calls it the "cut off" switch... I think.

I am very glad to have help you out. Any questions, feel free to contact me.

#9 ·
I have seen 'kill' switch contacts burned up, they aren't made for constant 'make and break' loads. The ignition switch is made to handle the current.

#10 ·
Cantankerous,

I am not going to tell you you are incorrect. I have no clue. I have had a 1996 Gold Wing SE with 110,610 miles on it before I sold it and nothing ever happened to the engine cut off switch. Yes I was the original owner since new.

I have a 2008 Gold Wing and still continue to practice "thumb key" and like I call it, good motorcycle hygiene...

I am always willing to learn something new. I keep an open mind. I will say that no one has proven my rational not work.

#12 ·
My trike is currently at a dealer I've used over the years (BlueRidge PowerSports in Harrisonburg, VA) for a complete end-to-end servicing. I trust the service dept manager 100%. It'll be interesting to see what his take is on the question, lol. I'll post it later this week after I speak with him again. ;)

By the responses I'm getting here, and believe me I appreciate all of them, it seems that either way is acceptable regarding shutdown. Although,, keeping your hands on the handle bars seems the most logical. :)

#13 ·
Guys,

I am by no way the brightest light bulb in the circuit, however... you can't try to sell me ocean front property in Arizona by telling me the switch "can't" handle it.

First off, unless I am wrong, there is "no" load whatsoever on it. How can there be...? All it is are a pair of contacts (metal prongs) the make or break the circuit. What is there to burn out. If anything the metal may wear thin in about 15 to 20 years or so.

Safety is paramount....! "thumb key" then move your hand (whichever one) to turn the ignition off.

Let me leave you with this, if you were to take a poll on this question and asked 10 people, you would get different answers. Now if you ask which is the safest one, then there is ONLY one answer. I teach this day in and day out. Please ask your mechanic and tell me what he or she says.

#17 ·
That's what I said

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

#20 ·
The handlebar switch is an emergency shut off. The ignition key is meant to be used regularly, not the handlebar switch. The contacts were never meant for regular use and the will wear out. Not as bad as the push/pull switches like on a snowmobile, but they will wear out.

#22 ·
Budoka,

Why is it you believe the handlebar switch is an "emergency" switch?

Why is it you believe the ignition "key" is meant to be used regularly?

Why is it you believe the contacts were never meant for "regular" use?

I don't recall saying that the contacts were never will wear out

#23 ·
I have a 2008 GL18HPNA, your Owner's manual may be different.

Here is what Honda is telling 2008 Owners to do to start the Gold Wing, before inserting the key.

Page 73, transmission in neutral, engine stop switch to run, etc.....

Here is what Honda is telling 2008 Owners to do to shut (normal) down the Gold Wing,

Page 74, transmission in neutral, ignition switch to off, etc.....

Honda wants the engine run switch to "stay" in the run position even when the engine is off.

The issue is, what if you are on a hill..? You want you Wing to be in neutral..?

Secondly, since Honda wants you to keep the run switch always in the run position, how do you know if in fact it will work. You and I both know how oxidization builds up on contacts from lack of use..

Let me ask you this, if in fact you did park on a hill because you had no other choice, how would you prevent you Wing from rolling..?

#24 ·
if im rolling up to a restaurant, or house, or where ever im planning on stopping, if im on a hill, or grade, or unsure terrain, and i want to be sure my wing isnt going to roll forward or backward, whichever way the hill is, then i come to a stop, hit the kill switch, and leave it in first gear, and let it roll up or down, put the kickstand down and turn the key. sometimes, same scenareo, come to a stop, put down the kick stand, never touch the kill switch. then turn off the key. no different than leaving your car in gear (standard shift). im sure one way is as good as the other. just prefferance. yall keep on winginit rick

#25 ·
I personally think the manufacture of the motorcycle knows more about it than we ever will, That being said, I will start and stop mine as THEY recommend. This way you will never be able to say "Well I did not know how they wanted me to do it" As in the motorcycle training class my wife went to they told her to always ride in the center of the lane she is in and as we all know this is where all the oil from others will be. Just because some people think they know does not mean they actually do!

#28 ·
You ask:How long have you been riding? Answer: 30+ years.

You ask:How long have you been riding a Goldwing? Answer: Since '96.

You ask:How many motorcycles have YOU designed? Answer: None.

You ask:How long have you been teaching some kind of motorcycle class? Answer:Since 2008

You ask:Who taught you? Answer: MSF

My turn, 2003 GL1800 POLICE,

If you want to turn this into a stupid pissing contest, I give you the honors all the way. I don't care if your a LEO or not, you should know common sense.:eek: You want to be stupid and ask, how many motorcycles I designed...again be my guest. I will meet you anywhere anytime to go over the MSF curriculum and "try" to help you out.

Yes I know the GL15 and GL18 inside and out. I have seen so many crashes during my 500,000 mile (to date) riding I lost count.

I could be wrong but it seems to me that you are challenging me as to my knowledge. Please do, I can always learn something new. Here is the MSF web site if you care to take a look and maybe decide to take a BRC, BRC2, an ARC. It sure can't hurt.

Please if your going to turn this into a pissing contest that you know more or I don't, please don't take up the forum to do that.

Here is the web site: http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Again this all started when someone said that it is "no" good to always use the cut off switch. It does something to the electrical system which is totally BS.

Bottom line, you can't fix stupid, and stupid hurts...!

#30 · (Edited)
It was not my intention to turn this into a pissing contest as you have. It was my intent to question where you got your knowledge of the design of the Honda Goldwing! Glad to see that you decided to impart your knowledge onto others as to how you were taught to ride. As to myself, 40 years riding. 10 on an 1800. Schools include Alabama Motorcycle Saftey by Alabama State Police, Daytona Motorcycle Training Course for Daytona Police Department as they are used at the Daytona and Talladega Speedways. The Montavello college Safety course for advanced motorcycle riding. And a VERY SERIOUS riding class put on by a friend at Barber Motorsports Complex. High Speed Riding class put on by the same friend at Barbers for people who ride Wings at high speeds. (ie over 140mph) As to my knowledge of the inner workings of a motorcycle I have been working on them for over 30 years. I also run the shop that takes care of all of our local Police Vehicles, from the Crowns to the Chargers to their Humvees. Was just trying to figure out your knowledge. As to the use of the cutoff switch, it has VERY LITTLE power running thru it as all it does is turn on and off the relays. A slight touch of Dielectric grease in it removes all doubts of failure. and still I do not understand how the MSF curriculum has to do with the inner workings of an electrical switch as this is typically not part of a riding class. But alas all is well in the world of motorcycling. If we did not have differences of opinions this would be a pretty boring world and we would never get to learn how others view it! Just looked at the Alabama MSF page and all it is is a 15 hour class. That is the one my wife took where they told her to ride in the center of the lane and as we ALL know that is where the oil is from vehicles traveling those roads!

#34 ·
You said: "It was my intent to question where you got your knowledge of the design of the Honda Goldwing!" My bad, I was a bit hot....no worries.:eek:

You said: " still I do not understand how the MSF curriculum has to do with the inner workings of an electrical switch as this is typically not part of a riding class. " 2003 GL1800 POLICE, I don't recall ( I don't believe) mentioned anything about MSF and the inner workings of the switch. What I think what I did was answer the question with the MSF theory (rational) and how the switch works.::eek:

You said: "If we did not have differences of opinions this would be a pretty boring world and we would never get to learn how others view it! " This is true....:cool:

Again, please except my apologies:eek: .... It's all good.

#38 · (Edited)
Here's to all!!! And to the moderators of this site I apolgize if we have created any contraversty. This is what this site is all about, A differance of opinion that can be shared. For that I thank ALL of you! As for our knowledge and skills we would not do what we do if we did not BELIVE IN OUR OWN SKILLS! As we all ride a little different. As I said this world would be a boring place if we all had the same views! Again I apolgize to the moderators for any problems. Now that being said can we get back to helping others ENJOY riding their WING!!! And maybe a cold beverage? ps S53 your pm is blocked.

#40 ·
Hmmm. When I stop I put the kickstand down, then turn the key and lock the steering. I trying to think if I ever used my kill switch, I dropped the Wing but I think it automaticlly shut down via an internal switch. I normally use the kill switch as a learning tool, I sometimes flip the switch on my fellow riders to keep them in touch with dianosing why a bike won't start. It's pretty funny, until they did it to me :)

#41 ·
T-Rex,

You said: "When I stop I put the kickstand down"

That is an interesting thought. By doing that, it automatically shuts down the Wing because it is still in gear. :cool:

You said: "I trying to think if I ever used my kill (engine cut off) switch, I dropped the Wing but I think it automaticlly shut down via an internal switch.

T-Rex, you are 100% correct. I am speaking of my 2008 GL18, there is what is called a bank angle sensor on the Wings. What this sensor is designed to do is shut the engine down if the sensor detects the angle to be too much of a lean. Just an F.Y.I. http://www.ridersrally.com/sb/sb12.pdf;)

You said: "I normally use the kill switch as a learning tool":D

T-Rex, that is a very cool thing to do. He is what I tell all my students when starting a motorcycle, it works every-time without any issues, and eliminates the guess work.

I use what is called FINE- C (squared)

F stands for fuel, make sure it is in the on position NOT the reserve position (this ONLY applies to motorcycle that have a fuel valve)

I stands for ignition, turn the key "on"

N stands for that neutral "light", just don't trust it, roll the motorcycle to see if the light has NOT malfunctioned.

E stands for engine stop switch, make sure it is in the run position (someone just might play a joke on you)

C squared stands for choke (for motorcycles that have one) and pull in the clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.