Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my rambling, but I wanted to share a tribute to someone close. I recieved a call today from my stepfather and friend telling me goodbye while he still could. It's not often we are able to prepare for the passing of a family member or friend, "Rainman" as he was known when riding, knows his time is coming to and end, he will likely be entering hospice soon. Rainman was personally responsible for me getting my first Wing, a GL1000, his only request when he gave me the keys was that if the time ever came, I either return it to him or trade up to another Wing. That GL1000 became a GL1200, and then a new '96 GL1500. We traveled many many miles together, he ultimately had to give up riding 5 or so years ago, his health had deteriorated to the point he was unable to ride. Even then, still knowing the allure of the Wing, he was instrumental when I bought my 2000SE 3 years ago, standing there with the desire to ride when I drove it away from the dealer in the back of my truck. Currently we live 300mi apart, but hardly a conversation goes by that he doesn't inquire about the Wing. Perhaps you ran across him in travels, most likely not, but I hope you might keep a fellow winger in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for listening.

Thanks for everything KarlE

Karl E Sigley "Rainman"
GWRRA IL T "The Pink Shirt Gang"
92 GL1500 Aspy
Escapade trailer
Tulsa shield
Saddleman seat
Triple turndowns (you could hear him before you saw him)
Pinstriping by Scarecrow

That bike is still out there somewhere!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
A fine tribute and well said. Perhaps if we had more people in this world like you who cared for others, it would be a better place. Thanks for sharing. Isaac

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Nicely spoken whacker. Karl will be in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Whacker:Karl may not physically ride with you anymore, but you can take comfort in knowing he will forever ride with in your Heart. He sounds like a great man.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
It's been said that the greatest fear in dying is not death itself, it's the fear that we will not be remembered or missed. Obviously your friend/stepfather has no fear for he will surly be missed.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Resurecting an old thread...

Pardon my rambling, but I wanted to share a tribute to someone close. I recieved a call today from my stepfather and friend telling me goodbye while he still could. It's not often we are able to prepare for the passing of a family member or friend, "Rainman" as he was known when riding, knows his time is coming to and end, he will likely be entering hospice soon. Rainman was personally responsible for me getting my first Wing, a GL1000, his only request when he gave me the keys was that if the time ever came, I either return it to him or trade up to another Wing. That GL1000 became a GL1200, and then a new '96 GL1500. We traveled many many miles together, he ultimately had to give up riding 5 or so years ago, his health had deteriorated to the point he was unable to ride. Even then, still knowing the allure of the Wing, he was instrumental when I bought my 2000SE 3 years ago, standing there with the desire to ride when I drove it away from the dealer in the back of my truck. Currently we live 300mi apart, but hardly a conversation goes by that he doesn't inquire about the Wing. Perhaps you ran across him in travels, most likely not, but I hope you might keep a fellow winger in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for listening.

Thanks for everything KarlE

Karl E Sigley "Rainman"
GWRRA IL T "The Pink Shirt Gang"
92 GL1500 Aspy
Escapade trailer
Tulsa shield
Saddleman seat
Triple turndowns (you could hear him before you saw him)
Pinstriping by Scarecrow

That bike is still out there somewhere!
1 year and 2 days after posting the original thread, the end has finally come. A valient and constant fight came to an end tonight at 6pm, my Stepfather and friend has passed. Karl made his decision Thursday and was removed from all life sustaining measures, I was not able to be with him, my wife however was. In my last conversation with him, he urged me to ride safe and keep the shiney side up. I know that on the next ride he will be looking down on me, I'd ask that on your next ride, give a passing thought to the Rainman.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Sorry to hear of his passing but I will surely look up and tell him Hi on my next ride. Friends are what Life is all about. :)Isaac

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Sorry for your loss, but glad you have such great memories to fall back on. As he said, "Ride safe".

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt tribute about Rainman. Transition is so mysterious and emotional as it touches us all so deeply. Our prayers for Karl and you and your family in your loss.

Dan and Debra Bowman

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. I just got my new U.S. flag in the mail today----I will install it tomorrow and think of your friend/step-father when I ride.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I feel your loss of Rainman.

When my father passed, I lost the best fishing partner I ever had. I don't go fishing without thinking of him. Like my fishing, your rides will always include Rainman too.

"The tears of adversity are the telescopes to the heavens."

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Thinking of You & yours, Whacker.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss, I thank you very much for sharing your great memories with us. I will pay trubute to Rainman on my next ride out. Ride Safe.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
So very sorry, hang onto and cherish the memories. Prayers and thoughts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts