Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while I was having a new E3 put on the Wing, I noticed a '98 red 1500 that had been in an accident. They had been pulling a trailer which flipped upside down and the top was no longer red.
The owner had put on a new set of Metz for his trip to the Dakota's and the Yukon. The mechanic showed me what was in the trunk...6 pair of gloves and an assortment of the heaviest crap the owner thought was needed for the trip. He didn't check his tire pressure for the entire trip. Well, the rear Metz wore down to the core and it blew while he was doing about 65 mph, resulting in severe road rash to him and worse to his wife.
This was totally preventable if he had packed properly and checked his tires regularly. His front tire had 20 lbs in it.
The ironic thing is he had a tire pressue gauge mounted on his dash.
It was a sad sight.
Nothing common about common sense.
Strat

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Most of us here are obsessed with tires and for good reason. This unfortunate rider was a definite candidate for a run-flat car tire.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
It does take some effort. If he had a run flat he would have kept going.

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Yesterday while I was having a new E3 put on the Wing, I noticed a '98 red 1500 that had been in an accident. They had been pulling a trailer which flipped upside down and the top was no longer red.
The owner had put on a new set of Metz for his trip to the Dakota's and the Yukon. The mechanic showed me what was in the trunk...6 pair of gloves and an assortment of the heaviest crap the owner thought was needed for the trip. He didn't check his tire pressure for the entire trip. Well, the rear Metz wore down to the core and it blew while he was doing about 65 mph, resulting in severe road rash to him and worse to his wife.
This was totally preventable if he had packed properly and checked his tires regularly. His front tire had 20 lbs in it.
It was a sad sight.
Strat

Strat, I always say that the key to tires is maintenance. It's odd that guys just refuse to check these things & go.

Thanks for the reminder

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I can't believe that people can ride and not feel a low tire. I know right away by the handling!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
It was a sad sight.
Strat
Strat you sure know how to put me on edge. I am fixing to pull my trailer up to Mt. Rushmore and although I am a firm believer in checking tires, this didn't help my peace of mind. I just had a new Stone put on the back and am getting new trailer tires before I leave. I have bearing buddies and keep a close eye on all that stuff. I hate to hear stuff like that but thanks for posting it cause I will be all the more vigilant. :eek: Isaac

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The accident could have easily been avoided if the bonehead had simply checked his tires regularly and not overloaded the bike.
Yours looks fine Isaac :)
Have a safe trip,
Strat

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
The tire I love and it takes all I can give it, but I keep it right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Allot of riders forget that the only thing between them and the road are their tires, I check my tire pressure before any ride.
I can't believe that he didn't notice the handling of the bike with only 20 lbs of front tire pressure. I bet he'll check next time, experience can be a harsh teacher.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.