Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a pretty good chance I would be called into work on Saturday, so on Friday, it being a scheduled day off work and not having ridden the Yamaha for a while I decided to scout out the bridges that cross the Pearl River between Byram and Georgetown. The Pearl is our other major river in this state. It starts Northeast of here and flows down to the Gulf. It was a little on the chilly side early, but the weather forecast called for sunny skies and it getting to 50 degrees. So, I dressed with all the warm gear and headed out. I made my way down to Florence and stopped there for a hot chocolate and to warm myself up. Still hoping the temperature starts to warm up like they said. Then I headed west to Byram, crossing the Pearl at the site of the old swinging bridge, and then south on the Terry Road to Terry. Stopped at the train station which is the original built by the Illinois Central Railroad in the early 1880’s, and they have an old engine on a siding. Looks like it is trying to be a museum but I couldn’t tell for sure. This is the main track from Chicago to New Orleans. Heading east to cross the river again on the Rosemary road, which is the only wooden bridge left around here, only to find that the bridge is closed and under repair. So I kept heading south to the next crossing. This is on the Moncure Road which crosses and ties into the Old Pearl Road. Took that south and missed the next crossing on Gatesville Road as I was being tail-gated and by the time I spotted the road I would have had to slow quickly to make the turn. Old Pearl Road is pretty nice riding so I kept going down to Hopewell Road, where I shook the tail-gaiter, and crossed back to the west side of the river. This took me over to Hwy 27 where I head south down to Georgetown. There they have another old engine on display that hauled rock for the Green Brothers Gravel Company. Heading east on Hwy 28, crossing the river again, to tie into Hwy 469 which is a good road with lots of sweeping curves back to Florence. Stopped there again to get another hot chocolate and warm up. I finally come to the realization that the weather man lied to me again. The sun hasn’t come out and the temperature is still around 40. So I kept east on 469 and made my way through Flowood and finishing up on the Natchez Trace along the Ross Barnett Reservoir. I didn’t get as far as I planned but still put about 170 miles on the Stratoliner. A brisk good day.
The pictures are 1; Terry, MS station, 2; Pearl River at Hopewell, 3; Georgetown engine, 4; Georgetown engine, 5; Georgetown engine detail.
Hope this helps those who are stuck in the snow. And I did get called into work today so I'm really glad I went for a ride yesterday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
170 miles in 40* is not a walk around the block, especially on a Stratoliner. I think half the North American Continent is under a cloud cover. I can't remember seeing the sun for at least three days now.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Thanks for the tour Mark. A good holdover for us in the White.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I love old trains. We have a place near here called Steamtown and it features old trains. My Dad worked for a company in town that made small "locy" engines used to move railcars around the railroad yard.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
If you are interest in old diesel locomotives, come to Sth. Australia. We still have locomotive that was made in the early 50's on our main lines in active duties. Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts