Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to put together a plan to set up a place on my property (Franklin, Kentucky) for visiting motorcyclists and other guests. It won't be a commercial campground, per se, but it will be available to friends and acquaintances such as the Wingers here and on other boards.

By invitation only. "Friends of Friends" and that sort of thing.

What I am looking for, are some suggestions from you.

I am thinking of building a workshop/storage structure to replace my old tobacco barn. I am considering constructing two (or four) showers, one (or two) for each gender, along with a toilet and sink, similar to what you might find at a truck stop. There would be a place to park your motorcycles indoors, a lift for cleaning your bikes or doing MINOR repairs, an area with some tables and chairs and perhaps a small kitchenette for group meals etc. The ground along that part of the property (2-1/2 acres now) is good for pitching a tent or erecting a camping trailer. I suppose six or eight tents would fit comfortably beneath the giant old oak trees. I may even have another five acres available to me. I am looking at purchasing some of my neighbor's property, or gaining access to it on an occasional basis for gatherings like this. I'd provide WiFi of course, and maybe a couple of sofas and a flat panel TV ... I don't know.

I am NOT interested in running a campground, but I would like to provide a place for "friends" to crash for a few days, to go visit Nashville, the Corvette Museum and other attractions around here while having a place that is VERY quiet, VERY remote, and VERY safe. I only have two neighbors at the end of this road, three homes in all, and they are friendly.

There would be no fee for staying here, but donations to offset the costs of hot water, toilet paper, electricity, bug zappers and such would certainly be appreciated!

What do YOU think I should have available for such a setup? I guess the bigger question is, If I build it, will they come?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, I could just go buy some land and actually create a motorcycle themed campground here in southwestern Kentucky. Do any exist now? I really don't know. If I did this, ( since I tend to be the type of guy who uses a 6"x12" where a 2"x4" would suffice,) I think it would be one heck of a campground.

The BIG problem with such a place is the rowdy crowd. The big bad-a** "bikers" who think that you can't have a good time unless you are stinking drunk, raping a teenager and destroying property. I wouldn't want to run a place that required ex-felons to be hired as bouncers. It wouldn't be profitable if I needed to keep the sheriff on speed dial. I guess it might work out though, as I would also run a crematorium on the adjoining property for a side income and to um ... deal with the troublemakers.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Great idea Joe. Very generous of you. Only if I didn't live so far away!

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
I have never heard of anything like this. Just one thing with all ventures is insurance. Do not get caught with someone suing you for some type of incident. So you need some type of minimum to cover direct cost. Eric

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not thinking of turning this into a campground. It would be more along the lines of simply providing a place to pitch a tent, take a shower, and relax before continuing on our journey. It would NOT be a business, as I would not charge for the stay, and I'd probably limit visit to ... two days?? If someone wants to stay in the area longer, there is a KOA just up the road, and a few nice hotels in the area.

I'll look into this further when I return from Bike Week. Insurance? I don't think I'd need anything beyond my normal homeowners insurance. When friends stop by to stay over at your home, you don't need additional insurance. Think of the old days, when a drifter would happen by, and the farmer would say, "You can bunk out in the barn for the night ..." It isn't a formal arrangement. Just a courtesy to people who share my interest in motorcycling.

I have part of the concrete driveway poured already. I'll pour the rest when the weather warms up a bit. Right now I have a 24 x 60 foot concrete pad in front of my workshop. Plenty of space to park a motorcycle or two!

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
What a cool idea, could even be like a co-op where members could help out with building it and maintenance. Their privileges would be free camping and all others pay a nominal fee if it expands beyond just friends and family. Cool idea but lots to think about like insurance and sewage. Dealing with other peoples crap can get a little sticky.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Of course, I could just go buy some land and actually create a motorcycle themed campground here in southwestern Kentucky. Do any exist now? I really don't know. If I did this, ( since I tend to be the type of guy who uses a 6"x12" where a 2"x4" would suffice,) I think it would be one heck of a campground.

The BIG problem with such a place is the rowdy crowd. The big bad-a** "bikers" who think that you can't have a good time unless you are stinking drunk, raping a teenager and destroying property. I wouldn't want to run a place that required ex-felons to be hired as bouncers. It wouldn't be profitable if I needed to keep the sheriff on speed dial. I guess it might work out though, as I would also run a crematorium on the adjoining property for a side income and to um ... deal with the troublemakers.
Awwww Joe.....You could turn it into a massive bar and start a reality show.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
When i lived in another county in Alabama a couple from Florida came to town and announced that they were building a motorcycle campground in my community , just a 1/2 mile down the road from my house and right next door to an elderly couple who had been there for years . I liked the idea at first and after it opened i changed my mind really fast and i will tell you why . We had litter of beer bottles and cans all along the road , the noise from Harleys all hours of the day and night , Sheriff deputies called-out constantly , constant knocking at my door needing to use my phone or asking to borrow my gas can , wanting to borrow tools, etc ! I felt so sorry for the elderly couple who bought their place and was enjoying their retirement in peace and quiet until the hoodlums hit town , they ended - up moving because of all the harassment next door and took a big loss on their property ! I understand that not everyone is a jerk , but i would never subject my neighbors to the noise and aggravation that campground brought with it ! I was so glad when it closed with - in a year due to pressure from the County and community residents . I didn't mention all of the drug related garbage left along the road and in the campground itself ! I saw first - hand what a few can do to a good thing !! Good luck !!

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
When i lived in another county in Alabama a couple from Florida came to town and announced that they were building a motorcycle campground in my community , just a 1/2 mile down the road from my house and right next door to an elderly couple who had been there for years . I liked the idea at first and after it opened i changed my mind really fast and i will tell you why . We had litter of beer bottles and cans all along the road , the noise from Harleys all hours of the day and night , Sheriff deputies called-out constantly , constant knocking at my door needing to use my phone or asking to borrow my gas can , wanting to borrow tools, etc ! I felt so sorry for the elderly couple who bought their place and was enjoying their retirement in peace and quiet until the hoodlums hit town , they ended - up moving because of all the harassment next door and took a big loss on their property ! I understand that not everyone is a jerk , but i would never subject my neighbors to the noise and aggravation that campground brought with it ! I was so glad when it closed with - in a year due to pressure from the County and community residents . I didn't mention all of the drug related garbage left along the road and in the campground itself ! I saw first - hand what a few can do to a good thing !! Good luck !!
Benny, you may remember a restaurant in Sardis called MATERS Pizza. Great place....It turned into a biker bar. Nice family folks to start but was eventually overtaken by undesirables. I put a bid in to buy the place years back and the ABC board said they wouldn't sell me a liquor license unless I got rid of the biker part. Way too much trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Benny, you may remember a restaurant in Sardis called MATERS Pizza. Great place....It turned into a biker bar. Nice family folks to start but was eventually overtaken by undesirables. I put a bid in to buy the place years back and the ABC board said they wouldn't sell me a liquor license unless I got rid of the biker part. Way too much trouble.
I remember it well , some of the best pizza i ever put in my mouth ! I hate to say it, but it seems alot of guys straddle a bike and suddenly they are the baddest - as in town , even if it is a mini - bike ! I know a tattoo, earring, and a tan turns you into something the Hulk wouldn't want to tangle with , but it is amazing how a little woman with a little class can pinch that ear and lead your tail to the house ! lmao ! I am not intimidated by the bad - boy persona and i am not gonna side - step a guy wearing earrings , who is probably wearing panties also ! I have always had the opinion that if you wear an earring , it won't be long before you have the wifes underwear and dresses on !

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
I suppose if you had posted Rules.
No loud Pipes
No Loud Music
No Drugs
Quit Hours are xxxx to xxxx.
Also limit the number of guess.s
It might help
Just some ideas.
We live on a quit dead end country road, I know it would up set me if we had to start putting up with a bunch of thundering bikes all hours of the day and night.
Great idea just might be hard to manage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The concept is great. I would be worried about the things mentioned above. I hope you can make it work.

A.J.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
Wow, A.J. two plus years to say anything!

I think the non-campground campground is a good idea, if it would stay private. Unfortunately, word travels faster than a Harley.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Wow, A.J. two plus years to say anything!

I think the non-campground campground is a good idea, if it would stay private. Unfortunately, word travels faster than a Harley.
It appears AJ thinks before he speaks ! On the other hand he could be married ! lol

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I have given this some thought and it may be possible to do what you are doing by using what i call " THE GOLD KEY " concept ! I envision a members only club with strict rules and regulations with access through a locked gate and each member pays a fee and recieves a key to the lock ! I use to work for a company that had a campground and it worked great . I would maybe find someone who wants to park a camper and volunteer to be campground host and oversee the day to day trash pick - up and so forth . I think it is workable , but it depends on how involved you want to be . I would certainly pay for a key and a deposit based on an annual membership as long as the campground is near other attractions or a nice get - a - way location with clean facilities !

1 - 20 of 52 Posts