Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, i am purchasing a gold wing for the first time. i have had other bikes but never a gold wing. i have a few questions, the bike is a 1982 gold wing 1100 that was put away in winter (i live in Canada, we have serious winters here) 3 years ago with very little gas in the tank and no stabilizer. when the snow melted, it wouldn't start. the owner went out and bought a different bike and the gold wing sat covered in a garage for 3 years. what is involved in cleaning out the varnish in the carbs? is this a hard job? is there a different path i should take? what is your experience?

question 2, what should i look for in a battery for this bike? i assume a common motorcycle battery is sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF ptpdub have you drained theold gas and put any fresh gas in it? to clean the carbs they will have to be removed. i use an odyssey pc680 battery in my wings

·
Registered
91 Posts
As mentioned above, you will have to remove the carbs to clean the varnish. It will involve a lot of soaking in Acetone and a tooth brush to clean all the nooks and crannies. You need to clean the float valves and the main and primary jets/needles. Check the fuel/accelerator pump is clean and working correctly.
On a bike of that age it would be good to remove the carbs anyway and check all the rubber seals and joints (especially the rubber seals that mount the carbs to the cylinder heads) to see if anything has dried out and started cracking. It's not a difficult job to clean the varnish out but is very time consuming to do it correctly.. I would not clean the tank out, but I would consider adding an additional fuel filter between the tank and the carbs to prevent any muck getting into the carbs.. I would imagine the standard battery is still available, but if the suggested PC680 battery is a larger capacity and fits, I would go for that..
Welcome to the club.
Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Hope you get your carbs cleaned and get out on your Wing soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey, thanks everyone, the bike has never been neglected or abused ( i have known the bike and the owners and they are meticulous) it has sat still under a cover for 3 winters but has been clean and maintained before that. how bad do you think the carbs will be?

·
Registered
91 Posts
You may be lucky and they won't need anything, but I would still take them off and check them. If any jets are gummed up it will make riding the bike very unpleasant!! and as mentioned on a bike of this age you need to check the diaphrams and o-rings for cracking/ageing and it's not difficult to remove the carbs..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome and good luck with the Goldwing.I will let the pros give you tips on this question.
Donald Lang-Smooth Thunder

1 - 7 of 7 Posts