Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I currently own a 2006 Harley Softail (not so) Standard. I just saw the introduction of the 2013 Honda Gold Wing F6B, and am really interested in it. My concerns with the Harley are the usual ones. Heat, antique design, can chain tensioners, etc, etc. What I am looking for is some honest feedback on any typical problems with the Wing. What things can I expect to have to look for on the Wing as far as things that need to be addressed? How hard is the run of the mill maintenance, like oil changes? What type of maintenance needs to be done, and at what intervals?

I am hoping to see a FB6 up close and personal soon. Hopefully, it will be something I can swing a deal on and be in the wind with y'all. Thanks for anyone responding.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Draw backs - 1) keeping gas in it! Normally short trips tend to be about four times longer, if you find some nice twisty roads, you may hardly come home. 2) Finding all those little ice cream shops. Rough on the waist line! 3) Always changing oil. All that time you spend riding, your racking up miles and 3,000 miles come along real quick. 4) Tires - all those miles and oil changes and your changing tires. 5) Chrome and lights, there are always some chrome trim or lights that one wants to add to the bike. Ok chrome on a H-D, no different, lights yeah different. 6) Batteries, Goldwings can be a little picky about battery state of charge, keep a well maintained battery in it, put a battery tender on it during storage months and you'll be ok for a couple years.

Pluses - Oil changes are easy to do, a few metric wrenches and a filter wrench, no problem. Normal fluid changes when called for and you have a machine ready to run 300,000 miles, yes 300,000. I have 114,000 on mine an only had to pull valve covers to change them as one got damaged. Tire changes can be a little tricky if you don't have any mechanical ability, but there are some tricks.
Park it just about anywhere and not having to worry if it will still be there. Not many places I worry about parking my bike, I worry more about it falling over (valve cover damage when it sank in asphalt)

You may want certain items for your Goldwing such as Baker Air wings to direct air for cooling or more heat. Not sure on the shortie windshield as I have one the size of a barn door for protection. You may feel cramped in the cockpit compared to a H-D as this is one complaint I hear from H-D riders. I grew up in that riding posistion so it feels normal to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2012 and have ridden it to Alaska and back 2up, not to mention all over S-Cal. It's as tight today as the day I bought it. I haven't had any mechanical issues so far. Are there things I would change? Absolutely, but, isn't that the case with every bike we get. I guess the best thing I can say about the GW is, I'd ride it anywhere in the US tomorrow without a thought of mechanical issues.
M

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
The Wing is a dream come true, Servicing is easy except for the air filter, that's a 2 hour job. I don't understand the statement above about tire changes being tricky?? They're simple, the rear is like a car it comes off with 5 lug nuts. The front is pretty much like any other bike, pinch bolts & axle & pull one caliper. I get both wheels off in less than a half hour.
The bike handles and rides like a dream, 600 mile days are easy on a wing.

The downs are, some have issues with shifting (pops out of gear). And the Wing wobble which occurs on a decel with hands off the bars around 40mph. I have the wobble it happens as the tires get older, I put a new set on & it gets better until I get around 5,000 miles on them & it returns.

If you get a wing you will NOT regret it! Best ride out there! Good luck!

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Thanks for the great replies. I hope to go look at one this weekend. The riding position was mentioned above. I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam, and that was the one major thing I am concerned about. I guess I'll find out once I get aboard one. Do you know if Honda lets you test ride?
The dealers near me do NOT allow test rides. Saying that.....some dealers do, some don't.

Mark

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The biggest drawback for me, is the fact Honda decided to move the Wing back to Japan, making it 100% imported!
It seems a lot of owners claim the suspension is junk on a Wing and spend upward of $3K to $4 on major suspension changes. While still 2 wheeled I set my preload on 25, left it there. My front suspension has always been fine for us. No problems w/the ADV. Just for info, replaced the fork springs w/new OEM's @ 31K miles and all is well again!
The standard answer to the wobble is not to take your hands off the bars!!!!!!!!!!
Routine maintenance is easy on a Wing and the intervals are less than on the Harleys.
While the air cleaner change is 1000% more involved on a Wing than a Harley, most do not require change until around the 50K mark.
I found the rider body position on the Harley tourer models much more comfortable than on the Wing w/its feet behind knees foot peg locations. Resolved that when I triked by installing weight bearing foot fairings and removing the rider pegs!
I did have a 1998 softail custom and I will say the Wing(had a 2000SE and now a 2006 triked) is a much "better" bike.
Not sure the F6B would be better than a Harley Road Glide>
Gold Wing F6B Base MSRP $19,999
Harley Road Glide Custom MSRP $19,799
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/road-glide-custom.html
Many seemed to start comparing the F6B to the Street Glide???? I say it is closer to the Road Glide!

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I like the F6B a lot, it's a first offering from Mother Honda that actually takes aim at a v-twin platform based (not just HD) market niche. A semi-dressed bagger is a great bike for just about everything, save long distance two-up touring. The all black model is just plain sick (GOOD sick!) looking IMO. HOnda did a similar model with the GL for Europe with a smaller trunk, but it still had a Everything thaqt the full dressed Wing has on the other full dressers will be a similar edge with the F6B compered to other baggers. Handling, power, low maintenance, longevity, fairing (protection) design...it's got it all going for it. The only thing Mother missed is not designing in floorboards like the others have. Hopefully I can quiz a couple of the gurus when I'm in Toronto in a couple weeks.

·
Administrator
15,296 Posts
Wow, this is the first I’m seeing about this bike. I really like that one as it looks sleeker without the trunk. If I didn't already have my 2010 1800 I would be very tempted by this bike.

I really think you will love how they handle. My local dealer does have a bike that you can test ride but I hear many do not. They may have a 1800 you can ride and they should handle the same. The riding position is more upright, but that was like my first bike and I’ve gotten used to it again. I have a 36” inseam and did change out my seat to give me a couple more inches back. (It is the same one in that video Charlie linked for the oil change.) I also keep my preload up high all the time and the bike handles great. I have never had a problem with a wobble. When my tires are wearing out and showing cupping I feel a little shimmy but it has never developed into a wobble for me. I am thinking about the Traxxion suspension to give my wife a smoother ride. But I get on mine and a 600 mile day is just right, get up in the morning and do it again!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Thanks for the great replies. I hope to go look at one this weekend. The riding position was mentioned above. I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam, and that was the one major thing I am concerned about. I guess I'll find out once I get aboard one. Do you know if Honda lets you test ride?
Luvstoride: my question isn't directed at you, but to the others who've read more than I about the new wing: Aren't the drivers pegs/controls a little farther forward on the F6B than on the standard Wing? In the pictures I've seen it appears the rider's foot is almost touching the valve cover.

I hope you'll report back after you have a look and (hopefully) a ride.

Kerry

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
It all comes down to the individual dealership on test rides. Lots of times, the units don't arrive at dealerships in time to be registered with Honda as Demo units. In that case, the dealer is left to his own devices as to whether you can ride one or not. But every dealer has the option of registering demo odels and they get compensated for it in the form of demo rebates when the bike gets sold after the demo time period deadline is up. I've let buyers ride a bike that wasn't a demo but under very controlled circumstances and for a very short time and distance. I was also 95% sure they were going to buy. I don't thing the pegs are located different than the regular 1800 Wings form what I've read and the pictures I've seen, but the bike is sufficiently lighter (approx 60# if I remember right) so that will make a fair difference in the feel and add to the bike being more nimble. Patience, I'll have my butt in the saddle of one on the 4th of December when I'm in Toronto. It's just a display model so we won't be riding it, but it's better than nothing. There's 2 new 500cc CB models (in Canada anyway;)) and I'm not sure what else yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Anyways, Saturday will be the day for me to decide to abandon the "brotherhood" and move to the "dark side". :D
I hope your friends don't desert you. It should be about "THE" ride not "WHAT" you ride. Ride safe and enjoy your new Wing...

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
When you do get on that 'bad boy' bagger Wing, it will be them trying to keep up with you, not deserting you! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.