Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading everything about Amsoil Synthetic oil making their bikes quieter, smoother, easier shifting......... I decide to give it a try, and see for myself. The lifter noise is just as bad as before, if not worse. The shifting might be a tad better, and it seems like neutral is a little easier to find. Maybe I was just expecting to much, but so far, not overly impressed. We are leaving for a 3 day trip on the bike this Sunday, so that will be a good test.

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
Dad. Give it time. Your report on your return will be of more value and your pictures (?) should tell a story.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
See how it is after your trip and report back to us then. Looking forward to your comments and observations.. Ride safe and have a great trip...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
What oil were you using previously, Brand and Viscosity and which AMSOIL by Product Code are you using?

I may be able to look up the viscosity by cSt and get a better idea.

Better shifting and easier to find neutral are keys to that other things are probably better that you can't notice.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What oil were you using previously, Brand and Viscosity and which AMSOIL by Product Code are you using?

I may be able to look up the viscosity by cSt and get a better idea.

Better shifting and easier to find neutral are keys to that other things are probably better that you can't notice.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob
This was the first oil change that I have done on the bike. I have only had it a couple of months. The oil that came out of it still looked pretty good, so it probably didnt really need a change yet, but I was really just curious to see if it really would make a difference.I had put on about 3000 miles in the time that I have owned it. Not sure what you mean by product code, but it was 10W-40 oil.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Because we have several 10W-40 oils, I was looking for the Product code such as MCF, AMO, etc... and the oil that was in the bike to compare specs.

If they had a 20W-50 which, some people run for their own obscure reasons, and you put a 10W-40 in, the tick could be a little more pronounced.

Viscosity is broken down even further in CentiStokes or "cSt" . A 40 wgt oil must fall between 12.5 and <16.3. AMSOIL is 14.4 for MCF and if there was an oil in there that is 16.2, still a 40 wgt, it could still relate to a more pronounced tick.

There is nothing to worry about though.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm on the second full season with Amsoiland just about 8000 miles. If my bike clunks when I shift now, it's my own sloppy technique at the controls that causes it, the oil is doing all it can to smoth out the clunky habits of the Wing. My biggest wonder is how Honda can put such slick shifting trannies in other bikes (sport bikes like my RC for expample) and yet Wings have always been rough shifting. I really notice it when I switch back and forth between my two bikes.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I, as you, noticed the difference going back and forth between bikes. If I was off the Wing for a while, the first few miles of shifting was like a learning curve.

Suzuki's are much the same way. The Sportbikes shift nice but the Cruisers are clunky as hell. The M 109 is the worst of the lot with an extremely harsh 1-2 shift.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have used both regular oil and synthetic oil in a couple of my Gold Wings, and honestly, I did not notice any difference in shifting or mileage, I would suggest synthetic if you rack up a lot of miles and don't want to change the oil every month, but if you don't than regular Honda 10W40 works great. Remember if you run 10,000 miles or more on synthetic oil is your oil filter still doing it's job???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts