Registered
1,522 Posts
Krum.............. I taught Math at Krum High School for 14 years 1992-2006

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Krum.............. I taught Math at Krum High School for 14 years 1992-2006
You wouldn't recognize Krum. They are building homes like crazy 6000 more students due soon as well as another new high school and a 6 lane to I35.
This site has been very informative for us to make up our minds to definitely go with a Goldwing. Never thought about upgrading until about 2 weeks ago. This will be a big disappointment to my Harley friends that assumed we we going with a big Harley.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Those that ride Harleys are those that like to work on motorcycles
Those the ride Goldwings are those that like to ride motorcycles

My current Wing I bought in Allen at the Honda Dealer, they were having a big open house and had several nice used Wings...... mine was a 2 year old 2013 that I bought in 2015
I know there is a dealer in Denton at what used to be a Payless Cashways lumber yard, looked there but they wouldn't deal, made the mistake of setting up a test ride and not just show up

When I moved to Krum, there were 2 campuses, K-6 one one side of town and 7-12 on the other
When I left there were 4 campuses and getting ready to build the 5th
I lived in Sanger, the 12 mile trip originally took me 15min, when I left in 06 the same trip took 30 min
were we lived in Sanger doesn't look the same either, hundreds of new homes have been built in the area we lived
I do not miss the metro mess
I live 23 miles from the school I teach at, it takes me 25 minutes on a slow day, worst traffic is the deer and hogs

Good luck on finding you a Wing, lots of great 2nd gen 1800s out there with the new ones out now for 3 years.
Can't go wrong on any '12-'17 Wing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's a huge difference between a Shadow & Goldwing. I went from a 750 Kawasaki Vulcan to a Yamaha Venture Royale (Yamaha's version of the Goldwing). Then a year later bought a '93 Goldwing. For me, it was strange not being able to see the front wheel because of the "dash" board. The added weight also took a little getting used to, especially at low speed like when turning into a parking space. The Goldwing was easier to ride than the Yamaha due to the lower center of gravity. Jumping ahead to 2020, we bought our 4th goldwing in August. It's a 2019 DCT Tour converted to a Roadsmith trike. The Goldwing is easy to ride once you get used to it. I suggest taking a riders class taught by a professional. You'd be amazed what you can do with a Goldwing if you know how.

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda GL1800, 1985 BMW R80RT
65 Posts
Welcome and enjoy! The Goldwing is only heavy if it is not moving. You will not have an issue. You will be amazed at how light and nimble it feels underway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Welcome and enjoy! The Goldwing is only heavy if it is not moving. You will not have an issue. You will be amazed at how light and nimble it feels underway.
Thanks , I went to a dealership and looked at a Goldwing they advertised. I sat on it wiggled and checked seat height. My wife wasn't with me on the first trip so I even sit on the rear seat to check comfort. I had a very patient salesman spend time with me answering questions and showing gadgets.
We are going for a test ride, weather permitting, this week.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Your wife may have a little harder time getting on the bike since it sits higher and is wider, but once on it she won't want to get off. There are many ways for her to get on and off. You get on first, the stand up holding the bike, you get on first and sitting before she gets on, letting her get on first while you hold the bike, then you get on.
The third option is what we do. My wife has a hip problem so she cannot put her leg over the seat. She gets on first and pulls her leg over.
No matter how you do it I think she will love the ride, that is if you can keep her from falling asleep on long rides. Mine does.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It's a little indimidating the first time for the first few minutes. After just a few minutes you'll be amazed. I suddenly realized what people meant by "handles like it's on rails". For my test ride, I remember I went on a ride, then came back and got my wife and was amazed again at how little difference her being on the back actually made. I can feel that difference more now that I'm used to the bike, but it's still not huge.

Good luck on the test drive and I look forward to hearing the result!

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow ... I can't believe all the information, encouragement and support I've gotten on this site.
I decided to look at another GW today at another dealer. It was significantly cheaper but it looked like it had been stored outside and wasn't detailed at all. Looked rough. It was several thousand dollars less but I wonder how it was maintained.
Again, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As Fossel always said buy the one the sings to you. When you experience the feeling you will know.👍

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
here is the dealer in Allen, you aren't too far

they show a used Wing for 10k

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome Pirate to the GWOF, the best Wing forum on the web. Ride safe and get to know the great folks on here..

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
Great info from everyone so I will just reiterate what Barry said my advice always is................Listen closely....they sing..and when you find the one that sings the ride me song to you then you found the keeper.

Welcome to the GWOF and best of luck on your quest.

Oh one other thing, you mentioned possible peer pressure disappointment from your Harley pals. If they are true motorcyclists, they will respect the decision, and who knows....you may even start their conversion process. ;)

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Your wife may have a little harder time getting on the bike since it sits higher and is wider, but once on it she won't want to get off. There are many ways for her to get on and off. You get on first, the stand up holding the bike, you get on first and sitting before she gets on, letting her get on first while you hold the bike, then you get on.
The third option is what we do. My wife has a hip problem so she cannot put her leg over the seat. She gets on first and pulls her leg over.
No matter how you do it I think she will love the ride, that is if you can keep her from falling asleep on long rides. Mine does.
Ha ha thanks. Both for your advice and warning about slumbering passengers.
Great info from everyone so I will just reiterate what Barry said my advice always is................Listen closely....they sing..and when you find the one that sings the ride me song to you then you found the keeper.

Welcome to the GWOF and best of luck on your quest.

Oh one other thing, you mentioned possible peer pressure disappointment from your Harley pals. If they are true motorcyclists, they will respect the decision, and who knows....you may even start their conversion process. ;)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ha ha thanks. Both for your advice and warning about slumbering passengers.
Agree. I ride with quite a few HD people and only a very few think that HD's are the only motorcycle to ride. Of course they are the ones that keep the Harley clothing factory in business.

·
Registered
2008 Goldwing GL pearl white and dressed up
8 Posts
I have never ridden a Gold Wing before. In the past I've owned small Hondas and a couple of Nortons. I currently own an ride quite often a 750 Shadow. My question is the transition to a heavier bike. Is it overwhelming ? My wife would like to take short trips in the future. Right now she cant go more than an hour before she complains about her bottonside.Any thoughts(be kind)
I went from a VTX1300R to the Wing, and yes, it's considerably heavier. But, it's manageable. I have dumped mine at the end of my driveway in the sand. Don't use the front brakes! I haven't gone 2 up yet, my wife absolutely refuses to get on a bike. But, I'm still tryin'.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks everyone that has helped me in my decision to purchase a Goldwing.
I brought it home today during Dallas/Fort Worth rush hour. 55 minutes later it's sitting in our garage. Very exciting first ride.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Thanks everyone that has helped me in my decision to purchase a Goldwing.
I brought it home today during Dallas/Fort Worth rush hour. 55 minutes later it's sitting in our garage. Very exciting first ride.
Congratulations!! Now tell us - adreniline buzz aside, what was your impression of the ridability after the first say 15 minutes?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts