Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never ridden a Gold Wing before. In the past I've owned small Hondas and a couple of Nortons. I currently own an ride quite often a 750 Shadow. My question is the transition to a heavier bike. Is it overwhelming ? My wife would like to take short trips in the future. Right now she cant go more than an hour before she complains about her bottonside.Any thoughts(be kind)

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I went from a Honda CM400 to a 1200 Wing and the only difference for me was when it came time to pick it up after my first slow/no speed drop.

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
She would definitely be more comfortable on a Wing, they're designed with more than the rider in mind.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I transitioned from a Kaw Vulcan 750 to my 1800 wing. Plan on some single riding for a while until you get used to the handling in slow speed U-turn situations. The pillion rider comfort is pretty high on the Wing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brand new wing owner here. Less than 2 weeks. Prior to buying one, never rode one. Biggest bike I’ve owned was a 650 lb Concours 1400. The weight is definitely something you notice, primarily when walking the bike forward/backward (ala, in out of garage, parking space, etc) or at extremely low speed. I can say that once you are over 5 mph or so, the bike is simply a joy to ride. Passenger will love the bike. Good luck, stay safe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went from a Suzuki 850CC to a Honda Goldwing, (I honestly) thought that the wing was actually easier to ride because the center of gravity is lower... When on the 850, I was tippy toed when sitting on the seat (and off balanced) but ON THE WING I COULD SIT FLAT FOOTED... with my feet on the ground....I didn't feel the extra weight.....

Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
14,560 Posts
My wife and I were along with a Goldwing group for an event on my Yamaha. While there, I looked up and one of my friends was going around the corner giving her a ride. When they came back she said we should buy one of these! I bought it for her, but ended up liking it for myself. As mentioned, the low center of gravity makes it easy to ride. Slow speed practice is advised. You will drop it eventually (keep the hands of the front brake during slow maneuvers) so look at the videos on the internet about how to pick one up. I've seen 100 pound women do it. I've had to do it once myself (IDMWD #86) in my garage.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Your looking at a bike that weighs 350lbs. more. As said, the Goldwing has a lower center of gravity making it actually feel lighter than it really is. One thing to remember is the seat is higher, about 2 inches, than your shadow, and the seat is wider so depending on your leg length, it will take some getting used to.
I went from a 750 Magna to a GL1200 and it didn't take long to adjust. Practice low speed maneuvering and it should be no problem.
I now have an 1800 and it actually handles better then my 1200.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
First, what everyone is saying......... spot on......... after 20 years of not having a bike, I bought a 750 Vulcan to get the feel back, road it for a year and then got my first wing.
to me the Wings handle so much better

One word of advice, on a small bike like the 750 you can pretty much catch it if it starts to go over.......
do not even try it on a wing, you will hurt yourself.......... just let it fall, you will find that at those slow parking lot speeds, a drop does absolutely nothing but hurt your ego.
just pick it up and go some more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another option could be upgrading to aftermarket seat on the Shadow. Mustang has some good options that improve the passenger pillion dramatically.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We considered going with the mustang seat but I feel we are close or at the max for the shadow. Combined weight is about 380 or 390. This is estimated because my wife refuses to reveal to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your input. I read all of them to my wife ,which leads to her excitement. She is excited that sometimes local clubs organize rides and benefits for the persons in need. I think test rides are in our immediate future. I hope I can remember all the questions I should ask. Should I take any of the GWs to someone who does a survey or just gut feeling after riding 3 different bikes. Wow!!! Am I needy or what?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

The Shadow is a great bike. But I would be surprised if you do not adjust quickly to and appreciate the advantages of the Goldwing.

Long (but good) story. My friend and his wife pulled into a rest area a few years ago on his GL1800. As he did, he rolled past a group of four HD riders and their passengers. My friend backed into a space using the reverse gear. Well the HD riders all came over in awe and started asking questions about reverse. There really is such a thing?

Meanwhile, their wives/girlfriends were looking over the Goldwing and quite quickly there was some vocal and physical response between them and their chauffeurs mostly centered around:

“Look at that seat! You make me ride on that postage stamp sized pad, when I could be on that? What are you thinking?”

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You will be fine! That shadow is a great bike! The day tripper seat is its downfall. I went from an 1100 shadow to the wing. The shadow has a mustang wide touring seat but still not the comfort a wing gives you and her! Yes you will drop it. But the wing is such a joy to ride! Smooth as glass! Stupid crazy fast and comfy as hell! Keep the shadow. I still ride mine when my wife isn't riding it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

The Shadow is a great bike. But I would be surprised if you do not adjust quickly to and appreciate the advantages of the Goldwing.

Long (but good) story. My friend and his wife pulled into a rest area a few years ago on his GL1800. As he did, he rolled past a group of four HD riders and their passengers. My friend backed into a space using the reverse gear. Well the HD riders all came over in awe and started asking questions about reverse. There really is such a thing?

Meanwhile, their wives/girlfriends were looking over the Goldwing and quite quickly there was some vocal and physical response between them and their chauffeurs mostly centered around:

“Look at that seat! You make me ride on that postage stamp sized pad, when I could be on that? What are you thinking?”
Hi we are from Krum Tx which is next to Denton Tx which is next to Dallas/Fort WORTH.

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I'm used to bigger bikes, I have to agree about the low center-of-gravity effect. It made the Wing much easier to handle than I expected. Also ditto on practicing slow-speed maneuvering, but that applies for any bike.

Years ago, my sister and her husband were on his Wing, with their daughter riding with me on an H-D. The women swapped at a stop because my sister was always perking up at the loud exhaust of the Harleys and had never ridden one. The ride didn't last long. She wanted back on the Wing. She commonly sits back while riding, takes pictures, reads a paperback...she even fell asleep once. She's wonderfully comfortable on that bike and won't give it up. And for me, the Wing is just a completely different world to ride...power, handling, and I don't ache or hurt when I get off the bike after a couple of hours.

Your wife will probably love it. Remember the old adage: if mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!

Just do your homework on which years to focus on, but as I found out, it's nigh impossible to find a bad year in the bunch. Good luck...ride hard, ride fast!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Once you wife takes a ride on the wing rides will go from an hour to a state. My wife doesn't want to get off, when we end a ride she is asking when we can go again before I even get the bike parked.😂 As the OP stated find an empty parking lot to practice low speed maneuvers, once you are above walking speed the wing almost drives itself.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts