Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Honda Powerhouse experience

The other day a buddy and myself went to a Honda Powerhouse. While I was there I had them change my worn front tire. When I went to pay the bill, on the bottom it said "NOTICED FRONT BRAKES ARE QUITE WORN AND HAVE 10% PAD MATERIAL REMAINING. RECOMMEND NEW PADS AND CALIPERS SERVICED". When I saw this I questioned the guy working on the bike why he would not notify me to give me the option to change them while he had it all apart. He said it was to close to closing time. The entire time we were at the dealer waiting for the job to be finished. This did not make any sense at all to me or my buddy. I guess this is just one of the reasons why I don't like dealing with dealers for repairs.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
thats just being lazy

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Now they can charge you more labor $$'s. Smart business to increase the bottom line.....poor customer service..

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I'm a service/repair man myself. Though I don't like to admit it ..... but around 4:00 p.m. I'm thinking about going home to feed the dogs, etc. I don't carry around " extra " garage door openers with me for a reason. Now we are talking about a motorcycle here and not a garage door, but the psychology is the same, as we are all members of the human species. The early bird gets the best service. Period. I know what time my Honda dealer closes, and I would never take my bike in an hour or so before the closing time unless I knew ( and do know ) the mechanic personally. I take care of him and he takes care of me ( wink, wink, tip, tip ).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Too bad all around. The shop loses a sale, you leave with old brakes and a bad taste in your mouth.

If working past closing hours was absolutly not possible, that's where the GM or owner should step in and offer an option such as discount of some sort on the service if you bring it back. The issue goes deeper than that though.

From the shop owner's perspective I would think the only thing worse than losing a sale is building customer ill will.

Unfortunately, that appears to be a pretty common attitude based on what I've read on other Goldwing boards and it has been my experience at my local dealer that's less than 5 miles from the house. I'll ride 30 miles to the next one to avoid them.

I'm sure there are some good dealerships around; you just have to find them.

Respectfully,

Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Last year I got a front flat on my 1800 while on vacation. I was in the middle of no where in Oregon and managed to McGeyvor the tire so it would hold some air. The closest dealer was Big Valley Honda in Reno. I called them and told them my dilemma. Although it was Friday, they agreed to remain open until I got there so they could replace the tire. True to their word, I got there right before closing time and they took the bike and put on a new tire. Some dealers are great and others act like Harley shops.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brian,

My comment was not meant to be a blanket statement about all dealerships all the time. I agree there are good dealerships out there as you found out with your experience.

I'm just saying there was poor interaction between the OP and at least the tech. and it seems to be a pretty common experience. It's not just Honda dealers; in many businesses, I think many employees don't understand or don't care that any time they interact with a customer they are the face of the business regardless what their job is, from the technician to the parts counter person, cashier or the kid who sweeps out the shop. They don't seem to understand that it's not the owner who pays their salary, it's the customer. No customers, no need for the kid to sweep out the shop. Everybody loses. In the case of the OP, it appears the tech. made a unilateral decision not to even offer to do the work because it was close to closing time and wanted to blow out of there. It seems the GM/owner never got the opportunity to turn it around or offer alternatives. I wasn't there and I'm making a few assumptions.

Like you, I've been helped out of a jam and have been very appreciative. And paid them for their services. In your example and that of many others, it's not just helping a fellow out of a jam, but as a business person it's cash in the register, a potential new customer, and someone who will spread the good word about their experience with a particular dealership; a win-win situation all around. I've also walked into dealerships and flat out ignored for 10 minutes before being acknowledged for no apparant reason. In many cases all it takes is for someone say, "I'll be with you in a moment" or "I'll find someone who can help you".

Much of it I believe is due to poor training and / or poor supervision. Yes, I spoke to both the GM and the owner of the dealer up the street but I haven't seen any improvement in their customer service. Maybe I'll give them another try in a year or so if they're still there.

Most respectfully,

Jim

·
Registered
470 Posts
Although I have only had a new front tire installed at my local Honda Power House, I do buy a lot of parts there; The tire service went well, however, the parts guy is awesome! He is very sharp and knows how to get things done.
He goes out of his way to get what you need. In fact on another GoldWing site a guy was worried what he was going to do about the front crank oil seal on his 1200 that was discontinued by Honda. He was thinking of making a spacer to fill the space to make a different seal work, and a few other things..a lot of work!
I asked my guy about it...within 5 min he found out the 1500 seal is identical! Problem solved!
So, I guess when you find someone like that where his job is more than a job...consider yourself lucky..treat them right and everyone wins...BTW That guy's name is Craig..and the dealer is Barrie Honda Power House....I don't think they will mind me "outing" them on this one...LOL

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Badrider, the best thing to do is to call Honda Canada's customer service line and register a complaint, but tell the service manager of the Powerhouse store about it first. Honda is very 'pro' on their all in one shops, and the owners have invested a pile of coin in these outlets so they don't want tarnished images. Doesn't cover porr customer service though. I'd be really pi$$ed at my service dept if they pulled that on one of my customers.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
;)
Although I have only had a new front tire installed at my local Honda Power House, I do buy a lot of parts there; The tire service went well, however, the parts guy is awesome! He is very sharp and knows how to get things done.
He goes out of his way to get what you need. In fact on another GoldWing site a guy was worried what he was going to do about the front crank oil seal on his 1200 that was discontinued by Honda. He was thinking of making a spacer to fill the space to make a different seal work, and a few other things..a lot of work!
I asked my guy about it...within 5 min he found out the 1500 seal is identical! Problem solved!
So, I guess when you find someone like that where his job is more than a job...consider yourself lucky..treat them right and everyone wins...BTW That guy's name is Craig..and the dealer is Barrie Honda Power House....I don't think they will mind me "outing" them on this one...LOL
Very ironic BladeRunner, I'll give you a hint and say that Craig is one amazing guy to talk to, and to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Badrider, the best thing to do is to call Honda Canada's customer service line and register a complaint, but tell the service manager of the Powerhouse store about it first. Honda is very 'pro' on their all in one shops, and the owners have invested a pile of coin in these outlets so they don't want tarnished images. Doesn't cover porr customer service though. I'd be really pi$$ed at my service dept if they pulled that on one of my customers.
Hey budoka, to be honest I don't want to get the young guy in trouble that did the work. I just had to shake my head when I questioned him and he gave me that answer. He did do a good job installing the tire.
I will be puting on the new front pads myself which means the dealer was the one to loose out the job.
ps, I bought the pads at a different dealer, not on spite but I was annoyed at the time and left. I live in the big city 1 hour south of that dealer.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm sorry your experience was not what it could/should have been. All I can say is if you don't give someone an opportunity to correct a mistake then they won't have a chance to make a better choice in future and improve the service they would probably rather provide.
As you said, this fellow was young...maybe he had other commitments; However..that is no excuse to leave you with poor brakes, or at least give you the option in any case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts