Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I've been riding, off and on, for several years. After an accident that rattled me badly I stopped riding for a very long time. But when my father had reached the point where he wasn't able to ride anymore he gave me his 1986 Silverwing. I've been riding since.

Now I have an amazing woman in my life and want to share the experience of traveling on two wheels with her so I've been looking at the touring bikes out there.
I was really impressed with the Goldwing. Sadly, as much as I tried to be open minded about Harleys I just can't get past the faring.
So, I'm reading up on the 'Wing'. Trying to learn about it's highs and lows so I can make an intelligent decision when I get one. Most likely it'll be used.

So far what I love about the bike is that I can flat foot it. That's so exciting for me because I can't do that on my other bikes. :D

I look forward to meeting all of you.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF beastlymonkeyman, what goldwing are you looking to get

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the warm welcome.
The short (and uneducated) answer is, which ever one I can afford.
Having a BMW 1150 GS, I like the ABS feature and would like to have that on the Goldwing. Reverse also sounds very appealing to a short legged guy like me.

From what I've learned, there's not much difference in them other than the radio and sat nav, but I admit my knowledge is limited.

I'm sure I'll be getting a used bike like I did with my BMW and my FJR 1300. I did a lot of homework on those before I bought them and it paid off in helping me get a good bike for a good price and avoiding those production years where the bikes had factory or design problems.

I'm readily open to any suggestions for learning more about the Goldwings.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hello BeastlyMonkeyMan (whew that's some handle you got there!)and welcome to GWOF. All the 1500's have reverse, as do the 1800's, and both are terrific machines. More modern tech on the 1800's and more power, but a bit more weight as well. I do prefer my 1800 over the 1500 I had for sure, but there are some great buy opportunities on the late 90's 1500's. If you look at 1800 models pre
'05, make sure the frame recalls have been done, that's the only issue I know of.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Budoka, I do not believe all 1500s have reverse.

Welcome aboard BeastlyMonkeyMan. On some of the 1800s, check the left radiator and fan clearance. I'll check to see what year, but it was 07 or 08 models I believe.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
You're right winger98! I had forgotten that in '91 Honda re-introduced the Interstate. It had no reverse, no on-board air compressor, no cruise control, and it had a 1 inch lower seat height than the other GL models. I have also forgotten how long Honda kept producing them in that trim level. My Wineberry 1500 was that vintage (Cdn model) but it came with all the bells and whistles (cb, premium audio w/ambience mode & casstte, cruise, rear audio controller) and carried only the Goldwing nameplate, no SE or Aspencade badging.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Where do you call home?? Later model (1998-up)1500 or (2006-2009)1800 is the way to go. If you can find a late model 1800 that has an extended warranty thats a plus. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Southern California is home. Some good rides, but a butt load of desert to go through to get to some of the nicer places of the country.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi beastlymonkeyman, and welcome. I'm riding a 2000 GL1500 and love it. No question most of my buddy's in my club have 1800's. When they throttle on the hwy they take off. It takes me a minute, but I do catch up. One of the advantages to the 1500 over the 1800 is you have more cargo room in the trunk and saddle bags.
Either way they are both great bikes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello BeastlyMonkeyMan (whew that's some handle you got there!)and welcome to GWOF. All the 1500's have reverse, as do the 1800's, and both are terrific machines. More modern tech on the 1800's and more power, but a bit more weight as well. I do prefer my 1800 over the 1500 I had for sure, but there are some great buy opportunities on the late 90's 1500's. If you look at 1800 models pre
'05, make sure the frame recalls have been done, that's the only issue I know of.
Budoka, my Wing is out of winter storage here in Terrace.Soon as my new Collector plate arrives (85 LTD) I'll be "ON THE ROAD AGAIN" as Willy sings. :) I'd better not brag to much though just in case the weather turns bad on us, you'd be looking up the Terrace weather and giving me a bad time,like "Hows your weather now huh,huh." LOL.

-Robert-

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi all.
I've been riding, off and on, for several years. After an accident that rattled me badly I stopped riding for a very long time. But when my father had reached the point where he wasn't able to ride anymore he gave me his 1986 Silverwing. I've been riding since.

Now I have an amazing woman in my life and want to share the experience of traveling on two wheels with her so I've been looking at the touring bikes out there.
I was really impressed with the Goldwing. Sadly, as much as I tried to be open minded about Harleys I just can't get past the faring.
So, I'm reading up on the 'Wing'. Trying to learn about it's highs and lows so I can make an intelligent decision when I get one. Most likely it'll be used.

So far what I love about the bike is that I can flat foot it. That's so exciting for me because I can't do that on my other bikes. :D

I look forward to meeting all of you.
Greetings and congrats on deciding on a wing--- they are the best --(I am going to get some flack on that one) but I have been riding them since Dec1975 and there has not been a day since then that I have not owned a wing --If Im not mistaken its about 18 of them so far and a couple have had more than 200,000 miles on them ---- 1500's are the best touring bike in the world---- the 1800 althow heaver does not sit as well for straight touring and the bags are smaller --- if they had put the 1800 eng in the 1500 body it would have been heaven. Now what ever your choise remember you are riding the Rolls Royce of Motorcycles

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, Beastly, and welcome to the family (probably soon). I am new to it myself. I have ridden a 1200, and a 1500, both borrowed from friends, and am waiting to ride my new 1800 if winter will ever end. The 1500's are very comfortable, but don't handle as well as the 1800's. The 15's though, will obviously be cheaper. My buddy will get on his 1987 1200 wing, and ride across the country with me without a care in his mind about reliability. I guess the right answer is that the only bad wing is one with no gas in it. Good luck, and I'm sure you will like it.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Harleys are all right, but they aren't Wings.

Its a lifestyle thing. The latest HD creations are reliable and roadworthy bikes. Personally I don't like the belt drive and air cooling. I don't want to have a furnace underneath me on an all day ride, moreso on a ride across town. The shaft drive on a Wing is maintenance free for life. These (GW's) are 180,000 mile bikes but you do have to replace electrical items now and then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts