Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions for ya.

#1 I am looking at getting a used wing sometime in the near future, I had a 2003 Yamaha VStar Classic fow a few years, but had to sell it last year because of hours being cut at work. I loved that bike, but am really interested in getting a bike that would make it easier to tour on with my wife, thus the wing.;) My one concern is the seat height, the seat height on the vstar was 27.9", and I loked up the seat height on a new 2010 wing, and it is 29.1". Now, are the 1200, and the 1500 the same seat height, or are they taller? And will the 1' PLUS be a big difference in how it feels compared to the vstar?

#2 I would really like to have a 1500, (I just like the way they look, compared to the 1200) but there is no way I can afford one right now, but I could possibly swing the 1200. ( I am currently looking at a 1987 interstate). Now, if you were in my shoes, would you hold off untill you could afford the newer one, or would you be ok with the 1200?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I never had a 1200, so I can't comment on the seat height, but my 98 GL1500 seat height was fine for me with a 29" inseam. I later got a Saddleman Road Sofa seat which was set up 1" lower which was even better. Seat height on 09 GL1800 is also fine for me.

If possible I would buy a 1500 because I think they were a vast improvement over the 1200's and availability of OEM and aftermarket parts is much better. There are a lot of good deals out there on 1500's. JMHO. Whatever you get, enjoy and ride safe...

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I just switched from a Harley to a 2010 Goldwing 1800. The seat on the Harley was much lower than the new Goldwing, but even with my short legs the Goldwing is easy to handle. The weight is so much lower on the Wing that it offsets the extra height.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The seat is an easy fix if you can't reach the ground, a good upholstery shop can take out a little padding at a very low price.
I would definitely go for a 1500 instead of a 1200. The 1500 are pretty much bullet proof and if you need parts they are easier to get than for a 1200. The 1200's had stator problems and carb slide problems. As said before there are some great deals on low mileage late model 1500's out there now.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
GL 1500's were a 29" seat, the 1200's a tad over 30". The 1200 had a 3 position forward/back adjuster which was pretty useful, but the 1500 seat was waaaaay better IMO. Joe''s very right about the value of the 1500 vs the 1200, although the 1200's are ok if the proper fixes on the stator wiring are done. I used Bardahl
Injectorkleen in my 1200 and never had a sticky card slide problem ever. Put a bottle in about every 5 tankfuls, worked like a charm, all of us in the GWRRA chapter used it in our 1200's.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I prefer the looks of the 1500, it's pretty much bulletproof and a real workhorse. Note that anything less than the 1500 (ie- 1000,1100 and 1200) and parts availabilty can be stressing at times as I'm finding 1500 parts are getting a little harder to come by. That's coming from going to rallies looking for aftermarket accessories because most vendors are selling more 1800 parts because everyone has decked out their 1500's already. Finding parts for a 1200 at a rally will be hard. If that 1200 is clean and well maintained it should start holding it's value as more of a collector's item if anything. I stated this in your other post, you can't beat a goldwing for serious touring and your wife will tell you " why did you wait so long".

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies everyone! I am a bit surprised, I thought everyone would tell me to go for the 1200. I actually do not like the looks of the 1200, but REALLY like the looks of the 1500. I will keep doing my research and hopefully by next riding season, I might have another bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts