Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

So, I'm currently working on an '85 Aspencade. Main issues so far have been "freeing" the carbs, replacing fork seals, bleeding brake reservoirs/lines and rebuilding calipers, etc. A couple of questions, please:

1. I regularly add 1-2oz of Seafoam to the fuel of any motorcycle I own (and every other internal combustion engine, too, including a bit in the crankcase.) Should I also run the highest octane gas I can find in this engine, or is regular fine?

2. I need to be diligent about keeping the fuel clean inbound to the carbs. I have asked in this forum without success if anyone had an '85 1200 Aspencade fuel tank, as mine is a bit funky. So, I'm looking to buy 3-4 fuel filters for use over the next 6 months of whatever we'll wind up doing fuel tank-wise. Who do you buy quality fuel filters from? Local Honda cycle dealer or online?

3. The air filter needs replacement, too, and the question is do y'all recommend stock filters or K&N High-Flow replacement filters? I'm thinking the High-Flows are the way to go.

Thanks for your guidance.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
I'll take a whack at it.

1) I always run regular in my bikes. Never found any difference with premium.

2) I would just order a six pack from Wingstuff.

3) I use K&N's on some vehicles but never sprung for one for any of the bikes. Riding miles/time didn't seem to warrant the extra investment.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
#1: seafoam should only be added to your oil prior to an oil change
#2: go to your local auto parts store and get a 1/4 inch fuel filter
#3: i'm using a k&n air filter in my 1200 wing and will most likly get one for my 1500 wing next year

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
1. Run regular gas, everything I've seen and read says the engine isn't set up for high octane and it's a waste of money putting it in the wing.
2. On the gas tank issue one of my neighbors years ago has a bad fuel tank on one of his old tractors. He got some stuff at one of the tractor dealer that created a liner inside the tank. after the tank was flushed and cleaned,you put this in the tank,sloshed it around coating the inside, poured off the excess and let it dry. Created a kind of plastic liner. Problem is the old guy died a few years ago and I have no idea what was called or just where he got it. Might check some of you local tractor dealers. Don't know how it would work on a bike.
3. I run the stock air filter in 1500. consistently get 40 plus mpg running one or two up.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
GL engines are formulated for 87 octane fuel. There's a product up here called "Kreem" for the tanks. It's a kit that cleans, coats and seals the inside of metal tanks. I'm due for a filter change on the Wing this year, and I'm leaning towards a K&N, I've used them before on my bikes, and they're in both my tuack and the wife's car. I like the wash, lube and re-install thing over the throw out and replace idea. However, you should be aware that there are disposable filters out there that do a more efficient job of taking out finer particulates than the re-useable ones do. I have never noticed a performance increase with the K&N's though (like some folks will swear they do) unless you do a whole modification with the induction system.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Interesting question on fuel. My owners and service manual say 89 octane (regular is 87) but inside the oil dipstick cover the tag reads "Recommended fuel 91 octane" Go figure!

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your thoughts are appreciated!

-Going with the K&N high-flow lifetime air filter.
-Per Doc, I'll get some good, cheap 1/4" fuel filters at NAPA. Frequency of change is more important than a "super" filter.
-I once treated a Suzuki 850GL fuel tank with something like Kreem about 20 years ago, and it seemed to work fine. May go the same way with this one; depends what I see collecting in the fuel filters.

Yes, I usually add a couple of ounces of Seafoam about 500 miles before planned oil/filter change. My friend also likes to add a similar amount of 2-cycle oil to his fuel from time to time to carbon up the combustion chamber/valves. Not yet sold on this practice.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Have you tried looking for an 85 fuel tank at a motorcycle junk yard? I was just doing a search the other day and ran across a local place in Texas called "Bates cycle parts" they listed some of the bikes that they had available to pull parts from and I know there were several 1200's listed and gave the year models, they even showed pictures of the bikes and the Gold Wings looked to be complete in the pictures that I saw. Try doing a search but If you can't find it let me know I'll post the link for it, they claim that they ship anywhere.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Kreem sealer works great, I used it on a tank I built for a 1100 Shadow. Never leaked a drop for the 3-4 years I had it.
I also use Seafoam about once a month in regular gas(87) here in SC. When I lived in CO regular was 85.
I have noticed when I do go WOT there seems to be some excess valve noise, not sure if it is detenation or just normal noise. I guess I will put in high test one time and try WOT to see if there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
10-4, all. First, I'll try Kreem. If not successful, I'll contact Bates, who IS online. Thanks again all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts