Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But there's not a sub-forum for these items...

Probably will so the windscreen because im tired of working on scraping the oxidation off the back side and new "glass" is like almost nothing else in the world....

How does it come out and is it difficult to do?

Next up is bulb replacement both headlight and instruments. I LOVE the Sylvania Silver Stars for their color (whiter yet not blue headlight) and I have some burned out tachometer lights. How difficult are THESE items to replace?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
the replacement of those parts is not hard to do. i removed the mirrors to get to the bolts that hold the chrome trim piece that goes around the front in place. once the trim piece is removed you'll have access to the bolts for the windshield and the upper bolts for the headlight. you'll have to remove the grill under the head light to have access to the other two bolts for the headlight assembly

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Dave, never changed any instrument panel lights but did the other things you asked. None of which are hard to do, just take time. Best way I can describe it is "Just keep taking stuff off until you can get at it." :D:D

The biggest decision you will have is what Windshield to put on. Basiaclly the front cowl has to come off, it's been so long since I changed one that I don't remember the step by step. You can do the headlights at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i might get a road trip up north out of this

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
If I recall correctly the top inner shelter panels have to come off to get at the instrument bulbs. Painfully fiddly, but very doable.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
When you go to replace the dash instrument lights...be sure to replace them all not just the burnt out ones.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
If you are having to replace some of the dash bulbs i suggest you replace them all. You can get at a few along the bottom but the rest you'll have to remove the dash. Not hard just a lot of stuff to take off. As long as you replacing the head lights might just as well do the dash also.

Once you got the windscheild off. You have to remove.
The seat, yes the seat.
Under the front of the seat are two acorn nuts that hold the rear of the radio panel. remove them. ( radio panel has tabs that go into the dash)
Inside the gas door on each side is a lever, get a finger behind each and swing them forward.
Remove the panel around the key.
Remove the two plastic gusset that attach to the radio panel that go around the fork tunnel.
Check the tabs on the sides of the radio panel, you might have to remove the fairing pockets to get them out. Remove the radio panel.
If I recall there are a couple of screws behind the mirrors that hold the dash cover on.
Then you have acess to the screw that hold the dash in place.
there are several multi pin connectors and the speedometer cable to disconnect.
There are two different wattage in bulb, can't recall what the replacements were. Take them to a parts store and have them matched. Buy replacements by the box 10 each, way cheaper then individual.
Sorry got to run will check back later.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Many people are going to the F4 Customs windshield as they don't scratch like most windshields on motorcycles. They set up a display with 1/2 normal windshield and 1/2 F4 and mount a windshield wiper wrapped with steel wool and the F4 side doesn't show the scratches. But they are cheap.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I just put the F-4 this spring, so yes it's doing fine. I have gotten a few stone nicks/chips.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I haven't ridden in the rain much, but the few times I have, I can say it's doing way better then my old Markland.
I also from time to time use the F-4 cleaner, just to try and keep it tuned up.

·
Vendor
169 Posts
Cleaning your F4

Good deal! The F4 Cleaner is alcohol-based and can be used every time....actually, your shield will perform most excellent if you use an alcohol-based cleaner like F4 or Windex for each cleaning. Ride safe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts