Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a nice ride with my gal this past weekend down to Va. with the destination being Appomattox Courthouse.

Having been at many Civil War sites, it seems that I never made to the "last" one.

Started out meeting Luv2fish (Steve) and Behindbars (Brian) in Md.
We had a lot of traffic but eventually found decent traveling and met up with Ironhorse54 (Sir Edward) at a place they frequent. Good eats, good company, and some laughs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Afterwards jaNice and I continued on our own for a very nice ride to Appomattox. We meandered, shifted roads and settled on running VA. 6 across to 29.

This (VA 6) was the best road we were on for the weekend highly recommended.

Reaching the Appomattox Inn around 5:30 we settled in and went to the lounge for a bite to eat and a few glasses of wine.

Folks the Appomattox Inn is an excellent facility. Very clean, modern, friendly, and all the amenities of a Hampton or HIE. Do not hesitate to stay there.

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The next morning found an excellent breakfast at the hotel. Relaxing a bit, then heading to the Nat Park.

Appomattox NP is a very beautiful, serene, tranquil place. Also fittingly for the finality of the events.

We found loads of info, great stories, and artifacts. Some even with close roots to our area of the Keystone.

1) Map of the CH
2) J at the entrance
3) The McLean house (the signing of the surrender)
4) The Visitors Center (old CH)

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
More artifacts

1) a pair of Brig Gen Joshua Lawerence Chamberlain's boots. General Chamberlain was one of the heroes of Gettysburg and tasked with formally accepting the surrender of arms at Appomattox.
2) (Keystone history) this drum was part of the Hazleton Band. Hazleton is about 12 miles from Frackville and some of you GWOF members have driven through it.
3) More Pa. As cavalry 1st Sargent of Hazelton
4) The first Flag of truce sent by Gen Lee

More postings later

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'll have to go back as RayJ and I ran out of time on riding the retreat route. The Park itself is a good experience and I know that I missed things in our few hours there last spring.

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another bit of PA tied to the Appomattox CH.

Many of you have seen this Honey Locust tree in front of our old homestead in Frackville.

This tree was taken from a Honey Locust that stood outside the Court House for over 140 years. It has since died due to a lightning strike. But the one in Frackville soldiers on albeit with a different owner.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
It was great seeing you folks. Ended up with a nice 275 mile ride to boot. There was a bit of traffic going south around Leesburg and Warrenton but it is designed like that to keep northerners out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
Looked like a great ride....Glad you are still trying to find time between estates.

·
Super Moderator
15,012 Posts
nice to see that everyone had a fun day of riding and exploring new places

·
Administrator
25,969 Posts
Sounds like a fun weekend.

A bit confused with the two wines and the two other cocktails (?) at once though...tough day sight seeing? >:)

:LaughHard:

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Sounds like a fun weekend.

A bit confused with the two wines and the two other cocktails (?) at once though...tough day sight seeing? >:)

:LaughHard:

It was the traffic I’m sure. Same thing happens to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually the plastics are iced tea that the hotel has for hospitality purposes.

·
Super Moderator
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a Civil War history buff it is always very satisfying to visit sites and to learn things that you did not know of the times.

Our visit to Appomattox was no exception.

We set out from the park and headed north for a possible meet up with the mighty Chopin but our delayed time and his aching bones prevented such an occasion.

Traffic was very heavy in Va. but thinned out a bit in WV, Md., and finally the Keystone.

All totaled 785 miles for a nice weekend get away with the best companion I have.

A few more pics

1) The desktop from the signing of surrender
2) The site of the last Headquarters of Robert E Lee and the Confederacy
3) The entrance to the Confederate Cemetary
4) Grave markers
5) A born Southern gal gives a touch of respect to the brave fallen troops.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Actually the plastics are iced tea that the hotel has for hospitality purposes.

Uh huh, sure. A trike must be pretty convenient. You don't need anyone to help you turn it around in the driveway after having some wine and "iced tea." >:):grin2:
Very glad you two had such a great time, and thanks so much for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
Looks like you had a great weekend exploring and riding with friends. Thanks for the pics so we could enjoy it also.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
All good stuff there Bill.
Have you ever taken the Ghost Walk in Gettysburg, I got some nieces back there that go almost every year, they say it's worth while.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts