Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a trailer from harbor freight and am planning on making a pull behind trailer for the bike but I'm trying to wire up the bike for the trailer plug. Does any one know of a plug and play harness kit for a 99. I have seen some that claim they are for 88-2000 but there is no other info other than it fits xx years and I don't want to buy something and it not fit or not be the correct plug for my bike. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
the 88-2000 1500s are the same as far as that wiring goes............ so should work
you could make any 5 pin plug work.......... as long as you trailer has separate turn signals and brake lights like the bike
then it is easy........... left turn wire, right turn wire, brake wire, running lights wire, ground wire........... then a sixth hot wire if you want interior lights.

it is when the trailer doesn't have the separate turn/brake lights that you run into issues

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
well.............. since I have no idea what your trailer looks like........... If it were me, I do all of this kind of work myself and have rewired more than one trailer, including a boat trailer that I added some separate lights that plugged in on their own on up riggers so you could see the trailer submerged in water at night

I would find a nice set of amber lights to use for turn signals, then the two brake lights could be wired together, since that is how it will come from the bike

I got some nice LEDs from this site LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories | superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
Like dsurley, I have had good success with superbrightleds.com for new lights and/or bulbs.

If you decide to add separate amber turn signals to your trailer, please ensure they are in fact turn signals and not just marker/clearance type lights. Big difference in brightness.

If you don't want to procure new lights, using the stock trailer lights as both brake and turn signals is common and very doable. If you buy a plug n' play harness it likely has five wires as described above. If you buy a relay operated harness (PnP or universal) that will likely also be a five wire. For either of these or any DIY harness you will need a five wire to four wire converter. Readily available from internet sources, your local auto parts store or even Walmart. There are some combined relay operated harness with the five to four converters but not as widely stocked. The five to four will take in bike's left turn, right turn, brake signals and output a left side brake & turn and a right side brake & turn.

Because of the age of your bike and not knowing if you have extra lights on the bike or if any of your bike or trailer lights are LED, I would recommend the relay isolation harness. This is part of the bike side wiring. It uses the bike's circuits not to power the trailer lights but to operate relays. The relays add almost no load to the bike's wiring. The isolation harness also connects to the battery and this connection is what actually powers the trailer lights with the relays acting as switches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I herd from another person about the converter so I bought one and I'll give that a shot. Thanks you your input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts