Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 99 Goldwing, you pull the clutch in and it doesn't release. It just stays in. What is that a symptom of?

Someone told me that a common cause is air in the line. But that doesn't make sense to me because no work has been done to the bike. The clutch reservoir hasn't been open in I don't know how long.

This is my bike. Asking for a buddy of mine. A bunch of us were looking forward to riding to Americade together and no his scooter is down.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
You mean the clutch lever stays pulled in, compressed to the handlebar? I think you've already answered your own question: If the reservoir/system hasn't been open in who knows when, then it's probably a mess. Needs repeated flushing/filling to clean out the accumulated crap in it and fresh fluid to work with. It's a starting point at least. Tell your buddy that motorcycles do not maintain themselves....:wink2:

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
You mean the clutch lever stays pulled in, compressed to the handlebar? I think you've already answered your own question: If the reservoir/system hasn't been open in who knows when, then it's probably a mess. Needs repeated flushing/filling to clean out the accumulated crap in it and fresh fluid to work with. It's a starting point at least. Tell your buddy that motorcycles do not maintain themselves....:wink2:
+1 on that.
You'll probably need a spoon to clean the junk out of the reservoir.
The Mighty Vacuum System works well when you want to flush the system well, just be sure to keep the reservoir at least half full during the flushing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're thinking it's really me and I'm scared to say it. Ha ha. Nope, I ride a Harley but am considering a Wing for a second motor. I joined the forum to learn about Wings. All of my riding buddies are on Wings. I'm the lone hold out.

Thanks for the advice! He's headed to the shop tomorrow. It will be good to know this information.

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
I think you're thinking it's really me and I'm scared to say it. Ha ha. Nope, I ride a Harley but am considering a Wing for a second motor. I joined the forum to learn about Wings. All of my riding buddies are on Wings. I'm the lone hold out.

Thanks for the advice! He's headed to the shop tomorrow. It will be good to know this information.

Never thought any such thing.:serious:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm coming off of an HD EG onto a Valkyrie Interstate. I really can't see me ever going back to Harley. I have had six Harleys and to be perfectly honest they have all been far less reliable than they should have been. Five of the six have left me stranded at some point. This is my third "wing" and I have never been stranded on a wing. Not to say that it couldn't happen but, my experience and that of every rider I know is the same. For serious long distance the wing/valkyrie is superior. The most reliable Harley we ever had at our house was a 2001, 883 Hugger that my wife owned and the only issue it ever had was oil leaking from the rocker box seals when it was a year old. My 2001 1200C broke down in the lot of a Biscuitville when it had 750 miles on the odometer. Burned out voltage regulator. This is not to trash HD. I love their bikes a lot but, I like coming home on the bike and not in a U-Haul, a rollback or a trailer, which I have done way more than I should and all on HDs. I refused to take my electraglide on a long trip because I knew it would leave me stranded at some point.

The clutch issue is probably a neglected master/slave cylinder. That's not a complicated fix even if they need a rebuild.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm coming off of an HD EG onto a Valkyrie Interstate. I really can't see me ever going back to Harley. I have had six Harleys and to be perfectly honest they have all been far less reliable than they should have been. Five of the six have left me stranded at some point. This is my third "wing" and I have never been stranded on a wing. Not to say that it couldn't happen but, my experience and that of every rider I know is the same. For serious long distance the wing/valkyrie is superior. The most reliable Harley we ever had at our house was a 2001, 883 Hugger that my wife owned and the only issue it ever had was oil leaking from the rocker box seals when it was a year old. My 2001 1200C broke down in the lot of a Biscuitville when it had 750 miles on the odometer. Burned out voltage regulator. This is not to trash HD. I love their bikes a lot but, I like coming home on the bike and not in a U-Haul, a rollback or a trailer, which I have done way more than I should and all on HDs. I refused to take my electraglide on a long trip because I knew it would leave me stranded at some point.

The clutch issue is probably a neglected master/slave cylinder. That's not a complicated fix even if they need a rebuild.
Thanks. We're looking at it today. I definitely understand your sentiments on the HD.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Never thought any such thing.:serious:
Slowrolling, around here, you'll find we tell it like it is. We can be brutally honest at times. If Kevin had thought it was you, he would have said so. We just don't pull any punches around here. Welcome.

·
Premium Member
8,510 Posts
Slowrolling, around here, you'll find we tell it like it is. We can be brutally honest at times. If Kevin had thought it was you, he would have said so. We just don't pull any punches around here. Welcome.
Thanks Al. As those who have been here a while know, what I lack in tact I make up for with brutal honesty....:surprise:>:):wink2:

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Thanks Al. As those who have been here a while know, what I lack in tact I make up for with brutal honesty....>:):wink2:
:smiley_bitchfight:

:LaughAtYou:

Truer words hast thou never spoken!>:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts