Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike last fall with 54k miles on it. So far I have had the timing belts changed, spark plugs, front forks rebuilt with progressive springs installed, new tires front an rear, new brakes on both ends and a new rotor on the rear. Oil and filter changed, KN air filter, new fuel filter, changed out the cruise filter and the other filter, changed out the rear gear oil, changed the antifreeze, currently rebuilding both carbs, as one started leaking, I'm hoping to be able to enjoy all next year without any down time, any suggestions will be much appreciated. Also I noticed there isn't any rear speakers, what do you all recommend, and is the bike prewired for them?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sounds like with all this work, you now have virtually a new Wing.
Lots of smiles and happy safe riding

I know a 98 se had rear speakers, not sure what models did or didn't have the full sound system.
finding some wiring schematics for the different models may help you out
I am sure some more knowledgeable 1500 owners will help you out a bit more

a favorite site of mine to help me parse things out is
they have nice exploded views and parts lists

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't believe the GL1500's had rear speakers from the factory. However they are prewired for them. The one thing you didn't mention; bleed the brake system thoroughly.

·
Super Moderator
15,139 Posts
don't know if your wing is pre-wired for rear speakers but there is / was an aftermarket kit for that. as for 1500 wings not having rear speakers the 1500SE did

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
wingstuff shows a rear speaker kit

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
149 Posts
As to rear speakers, in my honest opinion, it is a waste of time and money to install them unless you listen to the radio exclusively through the external speakers. And even then, they do not add a lot to your listening pleasure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't believe the GL1500's had rear speakers from the factory. However they are prewired for them. The one thing you didn't mention; bleed the brake system thoroughly.
I will be bleeding the brake system soon as that one slipped my mind, thank you for reminding me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good job, on prepping your new stead for the road. With or without a wiring diagram, take some time with all the Tupperware off to unplug, inspect and reinstall your wiring connectors. The simple act of this will renew contact between the 2 connectors. And you may find a surprise! It costs nothing but some time and can keep gremlins away. Also a good time to clean up any aftermarket wiring messes and install that volt meter you are going to want later. I also track down the ground locations and confirm they are clean and solid. Enjoy! 1500’s are awesome.

·
Super Moderator
15,139 Posts
As to rear speakers, in my honest opinion, it is a waste of time and money to install them unless you listen to the radio exclusively through the external speakers. And even then, they do not add a lot to your listening pleasure.
i liked the speakers on my goldwing soo much that i bought J&M headsets

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
149 Posts
i liked the speakers on my goldwing soo much that i bought J&M headsets
I liked the audio quality of the J&M headsets so much I bought Air Rider's.

·
Super Moderator
15,139 Posts
I liked the audio quality of the J&M headsets so much I bought Air Rider's.
i switch to cardo packtalk bold units last summer

·
Registered
250 Posts
Get a rebuild kit for the vacuum fuel shut off. Also a good idea to replace the vacuum hoses. Especially the one under the carbs. You will have to order that one from Honda. The hoses are metric. Most auto parts stores do not carry it. I got mine on Amazon. If you looks at a parts Fiche, it will tell you the sizes. Over time, the hoses dry out and crack, causing all kinds of running problems. Just more preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello i have a 93 wing and i think the speaker wiring is there ,,i have rear speakers and a fader control that i have added just plug and play but as another person said the only way to listen to the radio are c b is through the headset ,, also check the voltage and be sure you have a good alternator mine went out on one of my trips at 90,000..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would suggest greasing the spines and driveshaft using moly grease... when I bought my 2000 1500 it had 79,000 miles on it and the rear spines grease was nearly harden ... also make sure the spines are square and not rounded... took 3 cans of brake cleaner to clean it up ... when having the rear tire off check the wheel dampers...

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is very good advice from IN2IT those splines are worth the time when you replace the rear tire ...The splines are a non forgiving type of thing they will last forever when taken car of are destroy themselves when they go dry ..spend a few minutes and clean the splines and hub,,remove the driving hub clean those posts and the clean out the holes in the wheel apply moly to all those places it will perform smoothly..I have seen a couple of those fail and gaul up causing total destruction of the hub assembly ,,good advice from in2it ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts