Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the bike and former owner only had it a year so doesn't know the history.
I understand that belts may not "show" their wear. My better thoughts tell me to just go ahead and change them. If I do the work myself it shouldn't be too much, right?
If you changed them yourself, what is some advice that I need to pay attention to?

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if you don't know if the belts have been changed then change them. the belts don't show wear, i was looking at my neighbors old belts. had about 62,000 miles on them and looked almost as good as the new belts he was about to put on

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Golddigger: I can send ( snail mail) you copies if the related pages from my shop manual. Just can't get them in my confuser to e-mail ????.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a scanner on your printer? You could scan them and then email them as an attachment. I would like to have them. If you snail mail it address it to
R.E.Thompson, 63 Sunline Dr., Petal, MS 39465
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Digger: If you don't mind I'll just Snail mail them. It is two pages front and back and a single page. I'll put them in the mail out of here Saturday morning. I haven't had the best of luck with attachments.
I'll give it a try but figure on the snail mail.
From the Northwest corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Golddigger:
I sent that info out snail mail this morning.
If you want to post a personal message with e-mail I'll try that also.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ron, they're easier to send if you scan them into a pdf format, I've done that for a couple members. You can e-mail them from the saved location, and once you send them you can delete the file.
GoldDigger, the belts are what keeps the valve train in sync on your engine. If one of them goes, you'll destroy the top end big time. Even if you have to have it done at a shop, it's cheap compared to the consequences. Lots of guys do their own too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Got Belts?

Golddigger how did the belt change go?
I remember when I did mine on my 93 I was very careful not to move the pulleys...:eek:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Belts went great. Purchased the "gates" belts off of ebay and saved 50%. Purchased a Harbor Freight 1500lb lift and got after it. Had a DVD that Ron recommended which was great on giving very visual details. I have built street rod engines so am very careful with timing marks. Put it back together, cranked it up and it is doing fine, thanks to the great help here on the forum.

·
Registered
129 Posts
NAPA Auto part has it real cheap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hope they give you plenty of miles and Happy New Year !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts