Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 SE blows the 15 amp horn,blinker & brake light curcuit . It happens some times when iam driving and not using any of these things.I went 660 miles this past weekend and blew 3 fuses.2 one day ,none the 2nd day & 1 the 3rd. day. Took it to a honda dealer before my trip and they couldnt find anything? They said if it keeps happining they would start at replacing the relay switch? Any one have this same problem? thanks Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
poquosonman,
Start by replacing the relay in question before you tear the entire bike apart. Hold on a second you do use the brake lights and turn signals and should it happen again, your problem might be in one of those two areas. You must signal for a turn and use the brakes when you are riding along. If after you replace the relay and it happens again you will need to test these two areas for a problem.
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Good advice from trike lady, she knows what she is talking about. Are there any after market added lights? A lot of times people will add the ring of fire and wire them into the courtesy lights on the side fairing, and the ROF's fail a lot, check your add on stuff also,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.I have tried to isolate the problem by only using the front brake when stopping only or back brake and turn signal .but have not found the problem yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice Trike Lady I am going to start by replacing the relay first.I Have not been able to make the fuse blow by using the turn signals & brakes in different combinations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike is all stock , except I have added a outlet for my GPS to plug into.I hooked this to a plug under the left front storage compartment .

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Although the relay is an easy & relatively cheap check. I would be inclined to look more for a loose connection on the wiring (maybe even at the relay), a possible shorted wire or even a grounding short.

What people tend to forget is a relay is nothing more than a switch so unless the coil of the relay is bad (which would blow the fuse immediately not intermittently) the contacts only complete a circuit so that would not cause a fuse to blow unless the contacts were burnt to cause the same loose connection previously stated.

I only mention this because to change the relay may only work temporarily & masquerade the real problem. Good Luck.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm no sparkie, but it sounds like a short to me. A friend of mine spent a year replacing fuses in his new Heritage Softail and finally (after about 6 visits to the dealer and several on-road breakdowns) they found a short in the tail light wiring.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
poquosonman
Have we confused you yet, everyone gave you good ideas on where to look. You may have to pull a lot of 'Tupperware' to get to stuff. Good luck.
I build and repair trikes and I see a lot of chopped up wiring, wiring that has lost insulation, bad splices, or loose connections.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trike Lady, I have pulled just about all the panels off my bike at one time or another so I guess thats what I will have to do. i am thinking a ground short like when i hit a bump in the road , because it will be working , then without using any of the things on the circuit , I will check my horn and its blown, and all i am doing is driving down the interstate.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
poquosonman,
That'll do it every time, a chaff in the wire insulation. Do you have a good GL-1500 service manual? I use either Clymer or Honda Factory. It could be a loose floppy wire that has no insulation, for some reason I want to say its in the brake lights especially in the saddlebag set up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trike Lady,
I do have the Clymers manual and started taking this off last night,have not found any thing yet.Theres a picture in there that shows the turn signal relay and the flasher relay and they are side by side , but I can not figure out by the picture where they are ? Do you know ? It say you can do a test to check if these relsys are good. Thank for your help. Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked everthing on the bike from the seat forward last night and found nothing. Tonight I am pulling off the back trunk. There seems to be a lot of wire connections under it.I can hear the relays working when I put the signals on. Also the hazard relay is also working. I hope its a loose connection and I find it.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
There's a good chance that if the rear tire had been changed a wire could be chaffed in the back section of the bike. Because if you see in the service manual how much of the bike has to be disassembled just to get to the rear wheel its understandable how easy it is to damage wires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts