Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in New York and am about to purchase a GL1500 from a dealer in Fresno. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the California bike from the other 49 state models.
Also what models were built for that year, SE Aspencade etc.

Thanks in advance johnv

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
cali bikes have more emissions controls on bikes. model, se, aspencade, and interstate

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The "California bike" had a different air filter, it had a small section that had a charcoal filter, but when ever anyone here in Calif. replaced the filter they went with the other air filter. In 97 there were 2 models made, Aspencade and SE, SE of course had a lot more stuff than the Aspencade but most Aspencade owners upgraded and added most of the SE stuff to their Aspencades. You must be getting one heck of a deal to come all the way out here to buy a bike. What is the price and how many miles does it have on it? Did you get an out the door price? Will you have to pay Calif. used vehicle tax and then register it again in NY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
97 gl1500

The Bike I am purchasing is a pristine Aspencade with reverse, cruise, CB and air adjustable suspension. It also has floorboards for the rider and another set mounted on the engine. It has original manual and toolkit, and rear luggage rack, and rear grab bar. Not sure of the seat make but it has a riders backrest without the bars on each side. It has 39k on it. I am purchasing from a dealer for $6595, even when I add the shipping this is still a good deal.

thanks johnv

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sounds like a good deal, What dealer are you buying it from?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a 97SE last year with 20,000 miles for $7,800. It has been a great bike. I've put 18,000 miles on it. I've done nothing other than general maintenance & comfort stuff. That sounds like a good deal - Enjoy

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Just a word of caution if you are having the bike shipped. Very few freight companies will go good for any in-transit damage if the bike isn't in a proper crate. Fuel will likely have to be removed, and no acid in the battery (something I would insist on, you don't want battery acid on the tupperware or metal parts over a few days). Engine oil should be ok to ship. Do yourself a favour and check before hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be shipping via Allied Van Lines, they carry $8000 of insurance and have their own special pallets to tie down a bike to. Fluids will not have to be removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts