Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the BikeMP3 cowl lights on my 2012 gl1800. per the manufacturer they stay on all the time. my staATE LAW SAYS THE CAN ONLY BE ON WITH THE HIGH BEAM. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND ANY IDEA HOW I CAN FIX IT. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT COME UP WITH A SOLUTION?

·
Registered
620 Posts
States differ in this respect. I have my lights on 2 circuits. One plugs into the Kury plug and play extention and the other draws power from the asessory term in the fuse block and runs to the front lights and a switch in the left pocket for the "parade lights" on the front and sides of the bike.
In your case with the cowl lights you could power them off a similar setup with a switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a on/off switch below my radio, but i would have to dim my lights and then find the on/off button below the radio and repeat when I turn the headlights on high beam, there must be a way to hook them up to the dimmer swith for the headlights.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Pete and I, both addressed this for you on the other forum.
1. The cowl lights are by law not to be on w/the upper beam and are allowed w/the lower beam.
2. If aimed properly, 2 degrees down from horizontal, they are not "to bright" for on coming traffic.
If hooked up correctly to the proper switch and wired correctly, the off/on switch works while on low beams. The switch will not turn the lights on when the bike is on high beam.
Again, wired so they are on when the upper beams are on is not legal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told yesterday by someone at bikeMP3, that they do stay on for the high beam and low beam and I may need a relay or jumper. Unless there is a second or alternate place to plug into the bike harness that I missed. I will take it apart this weekend and look for a alternate plug and play site. I did wire it and it said to turn the low beams on and check the lights, which I did and it worked great . But when I put the brights on it also stayed on. In the video on your website the lights are on low beam and the running lights are on also. I'm not trying to be difficult, just looking for a way to make these legal and work the way I legally need them to.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
I had a set of Hondaline driving lights on my 1200i, mounted to the engine guards on the front. I 'hard wired' them into the system with the supplied switch that I mounted on the left lower side of the fairing by my knee. I could run them on high or low beam (my choice depending on conditions) but it was strictly manual control. Wasn't legal, but I kept the covers on during the day when I wasn't using them. Never attracted any (Leo) attention day or night with them on, but they sure made a difference with the vision. And they certainly weren't the lights like are available today.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I also installed the extreme 960 lights recently on my new 2012. I followed directions, installed the on/off switch in the left side panel open locatoin, and found that the lights will stay on with both high and low beam.
I also would like to know how to possibly change this to being on with low beam only. Otherwise, I will just have to watch traffic and dim lights as we normally for oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If this set came with the switch and wiring that the site says it does then remove the jumper and install the relay is all there is to it! The relay only powers them in low beam setting. All the states I have lived in (26) state that fog lights can only operate when low beams are on! These lights are considered fog lights by law enforcement and not driving lights. Can you send me a copy of install instructions and I will see if I can help you figure it out as we wire and maintain our local police cars and I do custom light installs on Wings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They dont come with a relay, thats my frustration. They come with the on/off switch only and constantly stay on. I have the option to try to push the switch down by my hazard lights to turn them off but I would think that is a huge safety issue. The company has not been helpfull in giving me any answers and also came across as insulting. I still have the lights on the bike but if they aren't willing to help, the light s will speak for themselves when people ask me how well they work.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I just got mine MP3 960 lights and was wondering if it's possible to id the low beam wire and tap into it without the relay, so it would only work with this low light power? It's LED, so it will hardly pull any amps and should not overdraw the circuit. What you think? And definitely going through the switch.
Well, I just opened the box, and my guess is that two brown wires are hot and green and white are ground. With this in mind if I tap low beam wire and join two brown ones to that one I should be ok. I hope. I will email the MP3 company tomorrow and ask if that will work. Will post the progress.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I just got mine MP3 960 lights and was wondering if it's possible to id the low beam wire and tap into it without the relay, so it would only work with this low light power? It's LED, so it will hardly pull any amps and should not overdraw the circuit. What you think? And definitely going through the switch.
Well, I just opened the box, and my guess is that two brown wires are hot and green and white are ground. With this in mind if I tap low beam wire and join two brown ones to that one I should be ok. I hope. I will email the MP3 company tomorrow and ask if that will work. Will post the progress.
It will not work... I simply forgot that when you switch to the high beams your low beams still stay on. I'm thinking cars setup. Sorry. You will need a relay.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Nope. will have to go through the relay. But the lights themselves are looking and working good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts