Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Well my 1500 was idle for a few years during a few hip replacements. When I went to put it back on the road it ran like crap. OK I initally figured bad fuel, drained the tank re-fueled and had no change. I know from aviation work I do that the carbs can and do go to crap also. Removed the carbs and sent them to Stu Oltman for rebuilding.

I checked and replaced a few vacuum lines and the isolators. Much to my dissapointment there was no change in operation.

What I'm getting now is when I go to accelerate the bike boggs down and will just about quit rolling off the throttle will keep it running but poorly. I previously has a Roadstar with a slide bore carb the wing has also slide bore carbs. During all my testing and work on the bike I have never seen the slides move.

Bottom line is can any of the gurus have any suggestion as to what I possibly have missed

·
Registered
346 Posts
Had a friend who battled his 1500 for several months with similar symptoms. The bike was wrecked and sat for over a year before he pieced it back together. His issue was that the bike would run fine up to about 50-60 mph. Any faster, it would lose power until his speed dropped back down. He rebuilt the carbs (more than once), tried a different fuel pump, and even replaced the ECM, all to no avail.

He finally narrowed the problem down to a vacuum line that had become so soft and spongy, it was actually collapsing under high vacuum. He said he checked them out multiple times and they "felt fine". He never considered they would be too soft. He replaced all the vacuum lines and the problem went away.

Don't know if this is your problem but replacing ALL the vacuum lines may be a cheap way to resolve the issue. If it doesn't fix the problem, you're not out much money and you can cross vacuum lines off the list.

·
Premium Member
16,687 Posts
What the chances the vacuum operated valve the comes right after the fuel filter has a leak and not opening all the way. I've read where you can by pass it in case of failure.

·
Super Moderator
12,286 Posts
It sounds like vacuum issues. The slides should move as soon as the throttle is opened.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Fuel Delivery -

Hey John, Just a thought, assuming you have cleaned out the tank, fuel lines, replaced the filter etc...have you cleaned and tested your fuel pump. Since you mentioned that your carburetors have been rebuilt and the bike now bogs down during acceleration, it sounds like you maybe demanding more fuel than the pump can deliver.

Good Luck, Michael

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
The bike is not old, but no spring chicken either. Check all your rubber hoses and lines.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
"A few hip surgeries"? :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.