Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, as you know, im going to go look at a 55,500 mile example of the above listed bike...

i tried to google some information and ive got a damned google redirect malware that sends me to moonsearch but i digress...

i found a 'blog' that says the 96 has some altenator bearing issues but many MANY were replaced under warranty. even if they werent then its pretty simple to do so theres no reason not to...

the blog went on to mention head bearings as being a minor issue as well but thats not something that would necessarily be a super-difficult job to have taken care of, thats must more of a time consuming job...

are there any other areas of concern i need to have in my bag of tricks to look for when i investigate this bike? its about 250 miles away and im going to check it out this weekend. the PICTUREs certainly look like its in better than average condition but dont want to buy someone elses headache...

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
So the facts are that the Alternator on the 1500's were the weak link but really only when you started to load the bike up with accessories mostly lighting. The worst that could happen on that side of things is it craps out & you buy a Compufire (about $425 with a battery) & you don't worry anymore. Not making light of it just saying it's not devistating. Don't recall hearing the Head Bearing thing????? so can't comment.

This fact I know is there are many, many 1500's out there with not 100,000 on them but well over that & some over 200,000 miles (Some belong to members here).

Here's the advice I give everyone when talking about looking at a bike. Look at it, ride it, if it is in your price range, & it Sings "take me home" to you then do it. If none of that critera is in place then be prepared to walk away. There are lots of used Wings out there & one of them has Ltdave's name on it.

By the way as always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion & my Pop was retired Air Force so here's to you Dave.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a TON for the input...

the biggest thing is that it has a sidecar and thats really what drew me even towards this particular bike. the hack is advertised as a 'factory set-up' (not that i ever remember seeing one in the 'accessories' catalog) and it matches as if it IS a factory set up...

i have since found another sidecar company (had a hard time finding any) that if need be, i can get a different bike and then buy a sidecar separately although im not interested in shipping/driving the bike out and leaving it for a month or so as advertised and then paying $3,500 or so for it on top of the cost of the bike...

so, again thanks for the comments...

tell your dad thanks for HIS service. i did 8 years from 85 until 93. had to get out when Clinton started gutting the forces...

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Like fossil mentioned, the alternators were the weak spot, other than that the 1500's were/are pretty much bullet proof. They're about tied with the amount of time they were produced along side the 1800 now in it's sort of 11th year with the 2012 being early but no '11, the 1500 was a full continuous 11 years in production. I, like may others on this site owned a 1500 and really found it to be the most luxurious of the Wings ever. I wouldn't trade my 1800 for one now, but they are a fantastic motorcycle in their own right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to take your thread in a different direction, but Dave and Rexter, you both on ZRXOA? Look familiar to me. I just bought a 90 1500 in May Dave, you're gonna love it. Great compliment to the rex.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i AM on ZRXOA...

over there i go by Ltdave. Yeah i know, bad joke....

Love my rex but the wife can't bend her k.des enough (knee replacements) to ride it with me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts