Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lights in my side bags quit working? Did these ever come from the factory with lights there? Mine look like there O.E. There is a large relay wired in line under the r.r corner cover that all looks O.E to me. Got power going in and notta going out to the lights. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
From what I remember the side lights were not standard. They were add on's. I added them to my 1998 SE GL1500.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
+1 on what TWW said.
Side lights are reflectors when shipped from factory.

I am not a electrical genius but if both aren't working, maybe try bypassing relay just to see if it is the problem. (one at a time if it is pulling to much of a draw)

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the first ones to come out where neon
(fluorescent) they caused the whole thing to light kind of a glow, where the newer ones have the individual bulbs (4), later ones came with 6 bulbs . The relay looking thing is the ballast if I'm not mistaken.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ron is correct. The early ones that were flouresent were Honda brand but were sold as an add on part, they did not come on the bike new. They weren't very bright and many after market manufacturers made better ones with individual bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Pacman assuming Ron is correct. I would just get rid of those lights & get the ones linked to. They are inexpensive & work & just plug in & go. Literally takes you longer to get the tools out than to complete the task.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Check the wiring right at the hinge of the door of the saddle bag. I've had mine break a wire there a few times. It should follow or be strapped to the metal guide arm.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Agree with others, the saddlebag lights are aftermarket. On the sets I have installed on 2 15's I owned (a 96 and 2000), the wiring is spliced into the taillights on the back of the saddlebags, no relays. Perhaps some corrosion, bad connection, do you get 12vdc at the connections when the key is on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a full 12v at the ballast but nothing coming out. It must be one of the earlier lighting sets. The ones that i have seen out there now don't have the large ballast needed. The ballast is 2"X3" and must weigh a pound. I am going to discard the whole set-up and replace it with a new one. There are several different lighting kits available. What one is the best? Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I don't know if there is a best model out there. But the ones I have have 6 lights on each side and the lens can be removed to replace the bulbs if needed. The older style had 4 bulbs and was a sealed unit, very difficult to replace burned out bulbs, plus the lens cracked right at the bulb on my old one. I suspect it was from the heat from the bulbs.
So I'd look for replacements with 6 bulbs and with lens that can be removed to replace the bulbs.
Best of luck.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I bought mine from mototour, can't remember the brand

1 - 12 of 12 Posts