Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 GL1500 hesitates at medium RPM Ideas?

I just got this SE model and it idles and runs nice at high RPMs, but just cruising in OVER DRIVE on the freeway it "hesitates" or "loses power" continually as if it is not getting enough gas at 2.5-3.5K RPMs.

I have tried the SeaFoam and Carb cleaners in the tank for several refills to no avail. Time for a carb rebuild or fuel filter or ???

Thanks Gentlemen!!!

Michael

PS. It was sitting about 6 months prior to purchase.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
In my opinion I would change the fuel filter, rebuild both carbs and sync them. If you live in an area where you can get 'Real' gas, buy it. Go to www.buyrealgas.com and www.pure-gas.org you bike and your garden equipment will run better.
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a friend that's having a similar problem with a '93. His sat for a couple of years after a wreck and after rebuilding it, it seemed to be ok but developed a loss of power at around 70 mph (as though it was starving for fuel). It would drop to around 50 MPH before catching its breath, then zoom back up to 70, only to have it happen again.

He's had the carbs off twice to clean them, pulled the fuel pump and checked it (and the strainer), then, bought a new fuel pump and it's still doing the same thing. Once he gets it figured out, I'll post the fix. In the meantime, if you figure yours out, please let us know.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Did he replace any of the jets?
I noticed the word cleaning was used, no mention of rebuilding and syncing.
I have a 1993 GL1500 that's a daily rider and I can always get a the power I need in any condition. I don't use any type of additive.

casualfornow,
If you're going to pull the carbs, rebuild them so you won't be kicking yourself. Jets plug up restricting flow. Trust me I know what I'm talking about. Rebuilding is worth every penny of what you spend on the parts, a good soak in a cleaner for the bodies and other parts, new jets, O-ring, check the float height too and the vacuum piston. They do tear every now and then.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94 GL1500 hesitates at medium RPM Ideas?

Thanks for the info!!!

I appreciate the help from fellow Goldwingers.

Michael

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Michael, looks like some folks are already helping. Welcome to the forum from Pa. Enjoy the site and ride safe..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Can't ad much to what the others have given you but welcome aboard.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well, after 2+ months of hair pulling and head scratching, my friend finally got to the root of his problem with his 1500. After overhauling the carbs twice, buying a fuel pump, changing out the ECM and a ton of other repairs, he found himself searching another Goldwing forum for info and stumbled upon a conversation about vacuum lines.

It was mentioned that vacuum lines used on the Honda are subject to becoming soft... soft enough they can actually collapse under high vacuum conditions, causing a loss of vacuum until the RPMs drop.

He discovered a vacuum line that felt kinda smushy in one spot so he replaced them all and shazam, his bike roared back to life.

Hopefully Casual has his bike running by now, but if not, ya might give those vacuum lines some consideration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts