Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't run without chock on.so clean carbs run better but still have to have chock on some also the ldle screw does not have any effect on it someone please help because I can't afford to carry it to the shop.think you for your time

·
Super Moderator
28,152 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from AZ.

If you notice, I moved your thread to the General Disussion subforum. The one that is titled Site Help/Feedback is actually for the operation of the Site. Never could figure out why it's titled the way it is.

Anyway, to your issue. You could have a situation where your carbs are in dire need of re building but you may also possibly have a vacuum leak as well.

Here's a quick test you can run. Take the two side covers off on each side. Get a can of starting fluid with the red straw on it. With the bike running (even if you need some choke) work the straw up under the false tank and spray a small amount of starting fluid. If the bike immediately races even higher than my bet is you have a vacuum leak.

Once you do that I can direct you further because I had it on my 95.

Let us know how it goes.

Remember you do NOT need a lot of starting fluid to do this test. If it's leaking it should show up instantly

·
Super Moderator
11,511 Posts
Follow fossil92's advice and then let us know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the GWOF from AZ.

If you notice, I moved your thread to the General Disussion subforum. The one that is titled Site Help/Feedback is actually for the operation of the Site. Never could figure out why it's titled the way it is.

Anyway, to your issue. You could have a situation where your carbs are in dire need of re building but you may also possibly have a vacuum leak as well.

Here's a quick test you can run. Take the two side covers off on each side. Get a can of starting fluid with the red straw on it. With the bike running (even if you need some choke) work the straw up under the false tank and spray a small amount of starting fluid. If the bike immediately races even higher than my bet is you have a vacuum leak.

Once you do that I can direct you further because I had it on my 95.

Let us know how it goes.

Remember you do NOT need a lot of starting fluid to do this test. If it's leaking it should show up instantly
No sir it did not change anything

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It set for 4 months.before that run perfect.the main jet on left carb was clogged so clean carbs an now only run with chock a 1/4 on.try idle up an down but has no effect on it either

·
Super Moderator
28,152 Posts
Have you pulled the carbs actually off the bike??? Or did you just pull the top of the carb body off the carbs???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Off an took apart an clean all jets an jet port an soak all other carb body an parts

·
Super Moderator
28,152 Posts
Off an took apart an clean all jets an jet port an soak all other carb body an parts
Okay so if you took them off, might I suggest that you retrace those steps. The rubber boots that connect the carbs to the intake manifolds are not only supposed to be somewhat supple (I changed mine because the heat had them hard as hockey pucks) but they are also notched to be installed in a certain manner. If that wasn't ensured or if they are hard and not able to seal correctly with the clamps then it is possible you are sucking air in to the intake which will in fact affect your mixture at the carbs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 93 did the same thing even after a complete clean and rebuild, took them off again and ran shop air through all the passages and found some clogged idle passages that I had to clean with a torch cleaning wire, after it ran like a dream. The idle passages are so small and hard to see a tiny bit of dirt will clog it especially with today's fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 93 did the same thing even after a complete clean and rebuild, took them off again and ran shop air through all the passages and found some clogged idle passages that I had to clean with a torch cleaning wire, after it ran like a dream. The idle passages are so small and hard to see a tiny bit of dirt will clog it especially with today's fuel.
Thanks will try it again they say third time is a charm we'll see

·
Registered
31 Posts
What did you soak them in?
Randakk’s sells some awesome carb kits for these. I’ve put 2 kits in peoples bike’s so far. I also have an ultrasonic cleaner (harbor freight) for carb cleaning. I use water and simple green mix in it. It cleans all those passages not accessed by tip cleaner wire kits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks blinded.i use spray carb cleaner first. Than I put them in auto carburator cleaner an did a water an soap clean an air blown them dry.guess I going have to brake down an put kits in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks blinded.i use spray carb cleaner first. Than I put them in auto carburator cleaner an did a water an soap clean an air blown them dry.guess I going have to brake down an put kits in.
The automotive carb cleaner (like my 5 gallon can) is to harsh for our tender little motorcycle carbs with throttle shaft seals. The chemical can destroy them causing an air leak (most noticeable at idle=can’t get the idle to set according to the service manual). Heat is your friend when cleaning those clogged passage ways. The ultrasonic cleaner heats and vibrates the parts allowing cleaning fluid to get through all those little buggers. It is amazing what comes up to the surface of the water when they looked pretty clean going in.
Be sure to do like Fossel92 said and check those base gaskets/seals upon removal again. Maybe that’s all it is. 🤞

·
Registered
348 Posts
you may have a hose leaking air and when you choke it, you are closing off some of the air at the box. It may be a simple replace the fuel hose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts